PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worried about the Chinese engine?

dieselsmith
01-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I guess it is a little late for this one since I bought one. Is anybody else out there concerned with the durability of this engine? I have 15 hrs. on mine and the starter acted up already. I heard of some starter trouble on another forum. It revs so damn high too. The twin Kawasaki in the 620is was a dog, but durable. I just don't know if Deere made the right move going Chinese. Look at all the junk Chinese quads that don't last a month or two. I had a 110 for my son-not a good piece of machinery. Guess I should have waited awhile to see how they held up but it was just so cool. I was lured in! I usually never buy something like this-all brand new first year. I usually give it awhile to work out the bugs. It could be the best engine out there though. Too late now but I still love it. I'd like to hear the feedback on this to see what everyone else thinks.:OhNoes:

snowboss
01-12-2011, 02:19 AM
You have echoed my thoughts exactly. I compare mine with a gas version of a screamin detroit diesel! it is not fuel efficent by any means either. like the speed tho. I am more worried about the chinese.

flyinlow402
01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
My New Year's resolution: If it is made in China, and I don't NEED it, I won't buy it. I realize that it is going to be very difficult to do, but we have to start somewhere. I am sickened by everything being made in China. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.
:USA:

snowboss
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
trust me I had to overcome that same gut feeling about buying a deere with a china mill. I have 2 deere compact 4x4 tractors with yanmars, great engines, but it feels like you are rewarding the country that brought us pearl harbor.

dieselsmith
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
This is true, I have a compact and an X495 both Yanmars. They run forever. I just hope JD did their homework on this one. I bought the 2 year extended warranty in addition to the 1 year so for the next 3 years if I have problems its all on them. I never buy into the extended warrant gimmick-until now. I wish it was a jap engine instead.

m38inmaine
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
No problems with my starter/engine yet but only 3 hours on it. No machine is perfect and they all have there glitches. Look over at the Polaris Ranger Forums, tons of electrical problems, starter failures, bad engines etc. Atleast JD has alot better reputation as far as service and warranty goes. See if Polaris will give you 3 years of warranty with pickup/drop off for $250.00, I doubt it. I think the best thing to do is keep on track with the service intervals, use only JD parts/fluids and keep receipts.

dieselsmith
01-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I want to switch to synthetic oil I think. Maybe that will help longevity. I'm going to change the oil every 20 hours I think. Not the 100 or 200 they say in the book. Book also says 1.37 quarts for oil capacity which is total bs-it holds 2.3. I'm sure they will run into trouble over that one!

Camoman825i
01-27-2011, 05:21 AM
The FACT that John deere moved to chery hill in china was simply to save every penny they can. It's call cost and effective! Chery hill motor wanted to bring their CARS in the usa for a long time now, but was rejected by many automakers,corporations,etc! The rejection was due to many complaints of deficency in theIr components and could not meet the US standard and regulations.

Although Chery hill Auto had been making automobile and engines for many years in china, but lack of quality. Even though chery auto outbids many companys in making an engine for far far less! NONE USA EVER CONSIDER THEM. Simply because of potential quality issues and in fear of ruin their reputations in the long run. And if you think about it we don't have chinese auto in the united states Its because they could not meet the US standards.
Since now we have the LEMON LAW. That if your new car fail within a time frame, then the car dealer must give you a NEW AUTO AND THATS THE LAW! Thats why car dealer are very cautious, since they can lose a lot of money if they have to replace a new car often.
Although many complaints have already been reported in china that their engines or the major components had failed in less then 5 years or less! I have just recently found this out myself and I must say that I am VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH JOHN DEERE! That they went with china instead of the japanese simply because they were the lowest bidders. The Japanese lost their contract with John deere gator 825i simply because they will not match the price of chinese. THAT IS A FACT!

snowboss
01-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Time will tell , I have 90 hours on mine so far so good. But I smell what your steppin in!!!

dieselsmith
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Wow 90 hrs, how many miles is that? I thought I was doing good at 16 hrs. Snow is too deep anyways, i'll catch up in the spring!

Lsutigers
01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I have spent 2-3 weeks going over the Arctic Cat 700, Polaris XP 800 and the JD 825I and was VERY cautious of the Chinese motor but decided on the 825I as of yesterday 1/26/11. After reading the comments on front end noise and the same concerns about the engine I am back at square one. Glad that all of are being upfront with the 825..........wondering if JD marketing team are reading these post???

dieselsmith
01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm sure they proved the engine and as far as the front end noise goes i'm sure its just a new machine glitch. I would still buy the 825, but I would get the extended warranty just in case. I have a feeling the Chinese are taking over for Japan. Remember when everybody feared Japan--in engines and electronics? Now everybody has a Camry or Accord and a Hitachi TV! I'm starting to think that China is trying to take the reigns from Japan. Korea is jumping right in there too. I can tell you one thing, try to get a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty for 250 bucks from those manufacturers. JD must have faith in that engine too to offer that much warranty. It comes standard with one year, 125 to add each year. The dealer will even come get it too for free. I'll bet you won't get that from AC or Polaris. I have seen plenty of those fall apart also.

BarnDoor
02-04-2011, 04:44 AM
The only thing I do not like about the engine in my gator is the fact that it has a timing belt. That will need to definitely be replaced ON TIME. I am sure this engine is an interference type, which means if the timing belt fails, the valves will contact the pistons and cause very nasty damage. But, most modern (if not all) 4 valve per cylinder engines are of the interference type. Besides my original driveshaft rattle problem, (which Deere admitted was their fault) everything else has been absolutely perfect. I have been reading some complaints about under powered brakes, but mine seem plenty powerful. Enough to slide the cheese off of a cold pizza! My machine has served me, my farm, and my hunting club very well this past season, I am looking forward to spend the summer running the snot out of it!

snowboss
02-05-2011, 07:37 AM
I like my 825i. Every time I get in I am one step ahead of the chinese!

flyinlow402
02-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I guess I will add some of my frustrations here. I am a farmer, have been for a long time. I have operated Deere equipment since I was big enough to push in the clutch on a 4020. I bleed green and pee yellow, so to speak. However, with that being said, I am becoming very frustrated with the influx of chinese goods into this country. I buy replacement parts for my Deere equipment, and I find that a lot of them are now made in china. They are substandard in quality, in fit, craftsmanship, and durability. For example, I had to replace the clutch assembly on my planter. A 5th grader could have compared the clutches and been able to tell that the original was a better quality part. It lasted for years. The new part had cast into it: Made in China. It lasted for one season and started to fail. Now this part was originally cast in the USA back when the planter was made, so why is it made in china now? I think we all know the answer to that.

I am not slamming Deere, or any other company for that matter. They are giving the consumer what they want. We as consumers have told these companies with our money that "made in china" is ok, as long as it is cheap. Now it doesn't even matter if it's cheap! When are we going to put our foot down and say ENOUGH!? For those people that say "It doesn't matter to me that it is made in china", you are part of the problem, not the solution.

I will continue to buy Deere products, I think that they are generally the best built and designed products you can buy. To those of you with the new 825i Gators, I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you got the quality that you paid your hard earned money for.

Please understand, I don't fault anyone for buying a new gator with a Chinese engine. If that is the machine you want, you have no other choice. My beef is with people buying Chinese products when there is a better quality American option available.

WOEII
02-08-2011, 09:11 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2hnvrl2.gif

gatorxuv620i
02-08-2011, 11:21 PM
WOEII: LOL :Rofl: Like your little mann cleaning up the mess

WOEII
02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
WOEII: LOL :Rofl: Like your little mann cleaning up the mess
:lol: :BG:

hdeagle
02-09-2011, 09:53 PM
My father is 80 years old and has been farming with John Deere tractors all of his life. I once made a comment about something John Deere being made somewhere other than USA. He was quick to inform me that if it had John Deere's name on it then it met John Deere standards. I had my concerns about the chinese engine like most others here, but I believe in John Deere. In addition to the above, no one so far has reported anything negative about the engine itself, it has been other things like driveline noise, alternator, four wheel drive system, nothing to my knowledge that was made in China. My Gator has 27 hours and no problems with the engine or anything else. (knock on wood)

jwindh1
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM
trust me I had to overcome that same gut feeling about buying a deere with a china mill. I have 2 deere compact 4x4 tractors with yanmars, great engines, but it feels like you are rewarding the country that brought us pearl harbor.

I might need to refer to my elementary school history book, but wasn't it the Japanese who attacked Pearl Harbor or are you just referring the the Yanmar engines.

Dont get me wrong, I am not pro-China in regards to any product but I also have to disagree with Camoman, there are several Chinese automotive products/engines in service in the US. The Chevrolet Equinox has an engine built by Shanghai Automotive and Chrysler inked a deal with Chery Auto to supply a sub-compact and several small engine products like lawn mowers, weed trimmers, etc. Point is that no matter how much we dislike it, China goods are infiltrating our market more and more every day. There are taking the country and winning the metaphorical war without ever firing a shot.

The public wants lower costs on goods and I don't know about you guys, but I am not volunteering for a pay cut and I sure as hell don't see UAW offering up lower wages. So, that leaves companies like JD, Chevrolet, Chrysler, etc. seeking the low labor/production cost associated with the foreign markets.

snowboss
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM
It was indeed the japs! and as far as low production costs after paying 18500 for mine 2000.00 more than my used duramax sorry I dont think they passed on the savings to me!

gatorxuv620i
02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I hear ya snoboss: they are hiding the savings from us who deserve it the most!!!:BS::vlgrs:

BarnDoor
02-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, we could've all bought jeeps for what we paid for these things! I wouldn't trade mine for anything though!

Bill
02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I guess it is a little late for this one since I bought one. Is anybody else out there concerned with the durability of this engine? I have 15 hrs. on mine and the starter acted up already. I heard of some starter trouble on another forum. It revs so damn high too. The twin Kawasaki in the 620is was a dog, but durable. I just don't know if Deere made the right move going Chinese. Look at all the junk Chinese quads that don't last a month or two. I had a 110 for my son-not a good piece of machinery. Guess I should have waited awhile to see how they held up but it was just so cool. I was lured in! I usually never buy something like this-all brand new first year. I usually give it awhile to work out the bugs. It could be the best engine out there though. Too late now but I still love it. I'd like to hear the feedback on this to see what everyone else thinks.:OhNoes:Thank you for the info on the China made engine. I was getting ready to purchase one of the 825i's, but I think I will wait and find another model.
Is the 625i also built in China, or is there any JD model engine that is USA manufactured. I really want to purchase a JD UTV?

gatorxuv620i
02-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Bill. We have a 620i (same as 625i) and no its not made in china. Its got the 620d Kawasaki motor which is Japan. Its a work all day, play all night machine. We just cant kill it!!! If I was to buy one all over again I would get either the 625i or the 855D. Thats my 2 cents!!

hdeagle
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
The 625i is a Kawasaki Engine, and the 855 is a Yanmar. Both excellent engines, but not made in the USA. I do not know of any UTV's off hand that are 100% U.S. made.

Bill
02-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Thank you for your response! It sounds like the 620i/625i has a track record of longevity. I am farmiliar with the Yamaha 660 built in Japan. Definitely a quality engine.
My son-in-law who is a Service Manager for RDO is in Moline ILL. at the JD Factory as we speak. He will be talking with the factory reps and engineers about the 852i. I will share with you his input when he returns, which I believe is on Thursday.
I am looking forward to exchanging technical converstion with all of you on the forum.
I am a retired Heavy Equipment Manager and have lived in Phoenix Arizona for 36 years.

Dave Dougherty
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I just traded my 2008 850D for a new 825I. I was looking at the 625I as you were but several people said that I would not be happy with the power after owning the 850D.
This machine is more than I expected. I will not miss the diesel smell that I would get under the roof as I plow snow or spot spray soybeans. Quick starting, very responsive. I expect to be plowing 6-8 inches of snow in the morning with new power angle plow. Will report on Tues.

BrodyJ29
03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
There is nothing wrong with these engines that i see. I have almost 1,000 miles on mine we have been using it everyday since the end of july in rough terrain and easy terrain. Pulls great, hauls great, we use all john deere products such as oil and grease.

number3shot
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I just traded my 2008 850D for a new 825I. I was looking at the 625I as you were but several people said that I would not be happy with the power after owning the 850D.
This machine is more than I expected. I will not miss the diesel smell that I would get under the roof as I plow snow or spot spray soybeans. Quick starting, very responsive. I expect to be plowing 6-8 inches of snow in the morning with new power angle plow. Will report on Tues.

Mind telling me what you got for your 850D? I have a 2009 and was considering going to the 825i.
Thanks.

Dave Dougherty
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
The dealer allowed me 10,500 in trade. My 850D had 140 hrs, electric dump, roof, windsheild, roof lights and a 6' JD manual angle snow plow.

Dave

Dave Dougherty
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Just to follow up---The 825i is awesome so far, bought the 72" hyd power ange blade----sweet, work real smooth. Looking at adding the poly doors and back for next winter!

dieselsmith
03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
1000 miles on an 825 already? Nothing has broken or acted up?

Gator_Racer
05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
i know i am the new guy around here but the motors are solid i am putting that motor through the paces harder than most of you ever will i put in Lucas oil 10w30 semi synthetic and a k&n filter the motors are very well built they are in other equipment out there just not the deere lineup kobota sp? there are races i am doing over 600 miles in on day through some of the nastiest stuff you ever want to see

as for trying to buy us product i am all for it also but our lovely goverment has screwed that up for us all until the laws change it is only going to get worse the two things that kill manufacturing here are NAFTA and the EPA the EPA is worse than the nazi's but that is a whole other story

sorry for the soapbox rant

Deputy347k9
05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
As many here I also have farmed for many years, a small break of 20 years with the Marine Corps as I needed an easier life for a while. Out of the Corps, back to farming! For years our haying was accomplished with the very first John Deere diesel that came into Maine, The 1954 John Deere R. Now that was a tractor that was built in the good ole US of A. Having been restored she is still running to this very day. Had a 2 cyl diesel engine with a small gas pony engine that was used to warm and start the diesel engine. At 7,600 pounds you watched your toes! If I recall correctly she was between 40 and 50 HP and I mean true HORSE POWER! There was no stopping that girl. We used it for haying, pulling out logs and pulling out many idiots in the winter when their trucks would go off the road. I currently have a new John Deere tractor (diesel) and a new diesel John Deere lawn more. Never a problem with either machine. I am praying the 825i holds up as well as all the equipment I have purchased from John Deere of the decades. To save money we once purchased three Ford NAA tractors just to assist with haying, I must say they held up really well too.

Univoftnvol
05-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Just purchased my 825 CAMO last month. Took it in for the 10 hour service. I have a major squeak where the electronic bed meets the frame. Anyone had this issue? If so whats the fix??

gatorman
05-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Just purchased my 825 CAMO last month. Took it in for the 10 hour service. I have a major squeak where the electronic bed meets the frame. Anyone had this issue? If so whats the fix??

Check out this thread. "Reducing Cab Noise" in the General Discussion. You will find your answer.

Farmer
05-23-2011, 10:00 PM
It was indeed the japs! and as far as low production costs after paying 18500 for mine 2000.00 more than my used duramax sorry I dont think they passed on the savings to me!

My 825i cost me $11,500. That was with folding windshield, sprayed bed liner, tail light guards, 14" black alloy wheels with maxxis big horns, top, turn signals and reverse lights, bucket seats and front bumper guard. Did yours at 18500 have more equipment?

snowboss
05-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Mine has the deluxe cab,heater,winch, every light option,all guards, mirrors, 4-way flashers, maxxis bighorns,ect. tge devil is always in the details!! yep 18500

Univoftnvol
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Well I have a 825i it's just over a month old. CAMO, all the bars, roof, fog lights loaded. Has 19 hours and in the shop now for the second time. First time bed squeaking they put some stuff on the frame thought it would stop didn't and the head lights went out. Ok now it's in the shop because the Gator is stuck in 4 wheel drive. I put a jack under neath the receiver hitch and got the rear wheels off the ground. Made sure it was in two wheel drive. Put the Gator in gear with no gas the rear wheels barely turned then I gave it a small amout of fuel. Front tires pulled it off the jack. Oh yea the bed still squeaks! All I use the gator for is filling deer feeders. I'm 49 and don't hot rod the vehicle. All my Polaris buddies are laughing their asses off at me. I definately made the wrong decision!!

fire gator
05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
and their polaris never broke you never read any polaris forums

825joe
05-25-2011, 08:11 AM
so trade it in for a ranger....good luck! Don't let the door hit ya where god split ya. :lol:

dieselsmith
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
This is a brand new machine, there are bound to be glitches. Try to get Polaris to back their stuff up like JD does. Been down that road before and Polaris is the worst in my opinion. I've had Rhino's and a Ranger and on my Gator's worse day is still 10 times better than the others best day. I have had them all so i'm sure I have the right machine now. I'll buy it if you don't like it!

fleetmotors
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM
New here. Couldn't help but chime in.
I have travelled to China for an American Powersports company.
Most all brands mentioned in this thread have manufacturing facilities in China. I don't care if it's Polaris, Yamaha, or Honda. They ALL buy at least some components from China. Even the Chevy Cruze.
Unfortunately, if these vehicles were produced in the US 100%, you could double the retail price. Thank the $80 per hour union workers, and rediculous entitlements that we, the end user, are on the hook for.
Want to pay $20k-$25k for a UTV? Stop buying Chinese and manufacture all components in the US.
Just my two cents.

fire gator
06-10-2011, 11:36 PM
that is not the real question here did john deere do enough research into its quality and long term reliability concern to me is timing belt and external belts for water crossing issues also is it a free wheeling engine if belt breaks

purplewg
06-13-2011, 06:58 AM
I definately made the wrong decision!!

Give it a chance. Don't matter if it is a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Mercedes, or a Yugo. When you make 1000's of items of the same type there is a certain percentage that will have problems. They will fix it and you will end up laughing at your buddies later. As far as the squeak goes, I don't sweat the little stuff. I fix that stuff myself just because I can. My buddies Polaris sounds like it might just fall apart at anytime. I would be embarrassed to drive it where someone could hear it. Not to mention critters can hear it coming a 1/4 mile off.

flu_byu
06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
well we got it pretty wet where I live ,, i got a 825i deluxe cab ,, and thank god i did get it ,, had to haul sand bags with it n serious deep water,check the banks of the river ( in some serious mud),, that thing is a beast ,went to wash it the next day ,and it didnt start ,, dealer came to look at it , found out is was the starter , it seased up or something ,, no biggy , only thing is we are getting a lot more rain and i need my buggy. should be ready my tommorow . Yes i did buy 3 year warrenty

dieselsmith
06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
My starter died too, no big deal. Take it easy on union workers, I fall into that group!

BarnDoor
06-14-2011, 04:16 AM
that is not the real question here did john deere do enough research into its quality and long term reliability concern to me is timing belt and external belts for water crossing issues also is it a free wheeling engine if belt breaks

By free wheeling engine do you mean interference engine? As in if the timing belt breaks, can the valves contact the pistons? Yes, it is an interference engine. Timing belt service is critical. Its the price you pay to have the power and efficiency dual overhead cams provide.

purplewg
06-14-2011, 07:44 AM
By free wheeling engine do you mean interference engine? As in if the timing belt breaks, can the valves contact the pistons? Yes, it is an interference engine. Timing belt service is critical. Its the price you pay to have the power and efficiency dual overhead cams provide.

I agree with ya BarnDoor but I think he was referring the fact that there is no engine braking. Going down hill it will "free wheel" which means it will pick up more speed due to no engine braking.

fire gator
06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
how often and when is timing belt to be replaced i read somewhere when needed that is pritty unspecific to me this is somewhat a concern with the new engine I guess I am a bit scared of major failures since oil pump broke on skid loader causing engine failure at a large expense to repair these items cost enough to own so when high dollar repairs come up it makes you wonder was a enough research done to make it the best choice for the task at hand

825joe
06-15-2011, 07:58 AM
in theory timing belts should not just "go bad" Over time 60 to 100 thousand miles on some vehicles. Some not for a lot longer than that. If one does break. A valve\piston colision is almost iminent. Almost. Only time will tell bud.

purplewg
06-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Inspect timing belt at 400 hours. I see no recommended replacement period. I would assume that if I looked at it in a couple years and it was frayed or cracked, I would just go ahead and replace it.

825joe
06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
so...wait..fire gator your asking about the timing belt on the new 825i right? if so. What makes you think their is a problem with the timing belt?

fire gator
06-15-2011, 09:06 PM
just saying is it going to be a concern not a fan of timing belts chains better choice

BarnDoor
06-16-2011, 01:40 AM
A timing chain may last twice as long, but its twice as expensive and difficult to do. As a mechanic, id rather do a timing belt job than a timing chain job.

825joe
06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
I agree. The chain will last longer, but if it fails can also do a lot more damage. Either way there is a good chance of internal damage.

GatorMover
07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I had a Chrysler Sebring, had to replace the timing belt every 60k by the book, and I did. 200k when I sold it, never a timing issue. My buddy had the same car almost, didn't do maintenance according to the book and lunched the motor at 80k. This was the 2.5l v6 24V - talk about interference with a piston, that's pretty much a death sentence for the whole vehicle to loose a timing belt.

On the water crossing issue, I don't care who makes what, if your submerging it in water as a rule, I wouldn't expect even 50% life compared to someone who is not. Just based on my experence from my mud trucking days (30 years ago) four wheelin days and dirt bike racing past. It's expensive- These gators are awesome but they are not Hummer H-1s

JDTECH
09-03-2011, 01:24 AM
i have a 825i that has 150 hrs on it and now the engine is missing out bad. i took it into my john deere dealer and they said that my fuel tank had dirt and debris in it which caused my fuel pump to fail. which is not covered under warranty since the fuel was contaminated. after they put those parts on the engine was still missing out at idle. they further diagnosed and found that all three cylinders were low on compression apparently the injectors had failed causing to wash out the cylinder and now it needs a complete rebuild. if i have to rebuild my engine and replace my fuel injectors every 150 hrs then i think china should pay for all the repairs.

srb08
09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Jdtech,sorry to hear of your problems. I was worried about the chinese engine when I bought my 825i but trusted that jd would stand behind it, if there were problems. It will be interesting to see how you are treated by jd with a major failure. Please keep the forum informed adout your experience.
Any others out there with 100+ hrs on the chinese engine, any similar problems?

825joe
09-04-2011, 09:33 AM
None here. Its amazing what some debris in fuel can cause.