PDA

View Full Version : DIY Speed Limiter

gatorxuv620i
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok, after reading several posts on here and doing alittle investigating I noticed when you pay JD for the speed limiter kit all you get is a $55 on/off ignition and a lable. What a rip off!! So I took out the cup holder/ center console and found the wires that hook into the ignition and theres a plug on the end of a connector that has a loop of wire on it. So I wandered hmmm, unpluged it took it for a drive and WOW it goes 20mph tops!! Plug it back in and back to 30mph. So simple the plug on the connector connects the 2 wires together to let it go 30mph. Im going to the auto parts store in the morning and get a $7 ignition switch and get the $14 lable from JD and have overall about $35 in it. Ill do a write up with pics later this week. Any thoughts or questions?? Please elaborate!!:Wlys::OhNoes:

GatorOffroad.com
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Why do you want a speed limiter?

gatorxuv620i
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Just thought it would be neat to have. I messed with it yesterday and actually found it handy for going down some of our trails because some of the corners and bumps cant go over 20 anyway and on the 20mph setting i just leave her to the floor. Idk just my opinion but found it interesting how easy it is to hook a switch to it up...

WOEII
02-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok, after reading several posts on here and doing alittle investigating I noticed when you pay JD for the speed limiter kit all you get is a $55 on/off ignition and a lable. What a rip off!! So I took out the cup holder/ center console and found the wires that hook into the ignition and theres a plug on the end of a connector that has a loop of wire on it. So I wandered hmmm, unpluged it took it for a drive and WOW it goes 20mph tops!! Plug it back in and back to 30mph. So simple the plug on the connector connects the 2 wires together to let it go 30mph. Im going to the auto parts store in the morning and get a $7 ignition switch and get the $14 lable from JD and have overall about $35 in it. Ill do a write up with pics later this week. Any thoughts or questions?? Please elaborate!!:Wlys::OhNoes:
:lurk: :OhNoes:

ghitch75
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
it's low range the speed limiter?:hsu:

gatorxuv620i
02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
not sure what you mean by low range, I like the limiter because it still has the getup and go in high just to 20 instead of the slow hard take off in low. But I see where your coming from why not just run in low... good thought

gatorxuv620i
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Alright, dun went to the JD dealer today and the auto parts store and got the goods. Now to explain my process:TT:... Ok here it is.

Step 1: Remove 4 little plactic pin inserts from center console and remove console (caution!!!! Theres 2 parts to the tabs/pins, pry the upper half not the bottom!)
Step 2: Take limiter lable and place in desired place on console and use black marker or equivalent and mark holes for pins and key.
Step 3: Drill 7/32 holes for pins (2) and a 1/2 (biggest would fit in drill) and use bit to make the hole big enough for the ignition to slide through.
Step 4: Peel backing off of limiter lable and make sure console is clean and apply lable to console. Make sure the pins and key holes all line up!!
Step 5: Remove plug from connector on gator and cut the looped wire in the middle in equal lenths and strip the end of the wire enough to fit into a connector that goes over the bolts on the ignition.
Step 6: Crimp wire into connector and then place connector onto the back of the ignition and take backing plate (supplied with kit) and place that and ignition on back of console and secure the plates and lable with the 2 push pins and the ignition in place.
Step 7: Place console into gator and reach behind (small hands help lol) and connect the plug and connector back together. Now position the console for the pins.
Step 8: Place pins back into console and Your DUNN!!!!!!:cool: ENJOY!!:lurk:

Let me know if anyone has questions or please leave comments on what you think!!!! Thoughts welcomed!!:Ncho:

gatorxuv620i
02-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Some More pics!!!:lurk:

825joe
08-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Nice write up!!

GatorMover
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Very nice DIY!
Gotta tell ya, I thought there would be some interest in this option, like for schools, churches, grandkids. We have never sold the first one. I'm surprised we never had any takers. We get more questions for turbo kits for the D and performance chips for the 825.

El guapo
08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Mine came with a speed limiter unintentionally. The bolt under the gas pedal was too long and kept the gas pedal from going down far enough! When I complained that I could only hit 30, not 44, the mechanic realized his mistake and gave me a shorter bolt! It was like getting a whole new machine.

bigfoot390
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I can see where this would be fantastic for when your teenage grand kids show up at the farm! the little Bas!@#$s always want to try and jump it over something.