PDA

View Full Version : 2011 825i Winch install

ebk4710
02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey guys, I am new to the forum, joined today. I bought the new 825i Gator in October of last year. I want to add a winch to the machine. After a lot of research and asking questions, I found that ProMark Off Road offered a 4000 XT winch P/N LDH4000 that is the same as a Warn 40 XT at a third of the cost. My problem right now is where to mount the contactor, does anyone have any ideas? Inside the battery box is very tight. A picture would be a great help.

dieselsmith
02-11-2011, 11:45 PM
What are you doing for a winch mount? I would guess there would be room under the hood.

BarnDoor
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Somewhere in the tech forum someone posted that the warn 4,000 lb winch doesn't fit under the hood. That mounting plate is made for a warn 3,000 lb winch.

m38inmaine
02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
The Warn XT40 is too large to fit inside. Perhaps his aftermarket winch is smaller in physical size. As far as mounting the contactor I would ask the dealership for a copy of the winch install instructions. They would show where Deere mounts the contactor. I had no problems getting the instructions for other kit installs from the dealership.

PeteWI
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I too have a new 825i and am looking to add a 3000 lb Warn winch. What do members recommend? A RT30 or an XT30? The XT has the synthetic rope and wireless remote. Thanks, Pete

ebk4710
02-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I went to John deere and ordered the winch mount brackets, there are 2 that you have to get. The bolts are no problem but you also need spacers that John Deere wanted $15.95 each for so I made mine for 3 bucks. The two brackets were about 100 bucks and no way around ordering from John Deere.

ebk4710
02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
You are correct, the Warn XT40 is to large to fit, but the ProMark 4000 XT fit like a glove and for $135.00, I think I got a good deal.

ebk4710
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for this tip, I went back to John Deere and they printed off the instructions for wiring the winch and it showed right where to place the contactor! Thanks again, Bryon

PeteWI
02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Does the contactor go under the hood?

dieselsmith
02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok so is anybody getting a good deal on the winch mount kit? I agree a 3K is not enough winch to get one of these unstuck.

ebk4710
02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Yes, the contactor mounts under the hood on the side bracket in the center section. You will see 4 holes that the contactor for the Warn winch bolts to. My contactor sits in side ways and I could not use the same holes.

ebk4710
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
So far John Deere is the only place to find the mounting plates so spend the hundred bucks for the two brackets and pick up the bolts at the hardware store. Otherwise you are paying for John Deere to bag each nut and bolt. Just remember to use metric bolts so that they fit the mounting brackets.

PeteWI
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
The mounting bolts for the winch are (2) M8 X 60 bolts, (2) M8 X 25 bolts, (3) M8 X 20 (listed as screws on Parts List) and two spacers 1 3/8" X 1" and 7 lock nuts and washers. I picked up the two brackets from my JD dealer for $70.62 total. The two JD bracket part numbers are M161332 and AM140515. I also purchased a JD filter for the 825i and it matches up to an AC/Delco PF1233 filter.

Zephyr74
03-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey guys, I am new to the forum, joined today. I bought the new 825i Gator in October of last year. I want to add a winch to the machine. After a lot of research and asking questions, I found that ProMark Off Road offered a 4000 XT winch P/N LDH4000 that is the same as a Warn 40 XT at a third of the cost. My problem right now is where to mount the contactor, does anyone have any ideas? Inside the battery box is very tight. A picture would be a great help.

Can I see a picture of your ProMark Off Road winch installed. Would you recommend going with this winch? I am looking into buying a winch for my 825i. Can you let me know where you purchased it and where did you find the mounting plate for it? Thanks!

ebk4710
03-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I will get some pictures of the ProMark winch and post them and where I mounted everything for you this weekend. So far I have been pleased with the ProMark winch. No problems with it yet and for $135.00 I think it is a good deal.

Zephyr74
03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I will get some pictures of the ProMark winch and post them and where I mounted everything for you this weekend. So far I have been pleased with the ProMark winch. No problems with it yet and for $135.00 I think it is a good deal.

Thanks! I am new to this forum, as I just got my Gator a few weeks ago, so be prepared, I'll be asking some questions in the future. :) I read some reviews about the ProMark and most of them seem good. I guess they used to be called Gorilla Winch and there isn't good reviews about those ones, but maybe their quality changed with the new name. I really like that ProMark has a lifetime warranty and that a 4000 lb winch fits! If you can PM me where you purchased the winch at, I would greatly appreciate that as well. So if I got it right, all I need is to purchase the winch and then a standard mounting plate from JD dealer? Besides what you already stated in this thread about where to mount the contractor, any other surprises I might encounter when trying to mount or wire it? Thanks again!

GTM
03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Zephyr74 any chance you could postb some pictures of the winchn install?
Where did you purchase the PROMARK4000?

Thanks,
Gary

Zephyr74
03-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Zephyr74 any chance you could postb some pictures of the winchn install?
Where did you purchase the PROMARK4000?

Thanks,
Gary

GTM,

I didn't buy the ProMark 4000 for a number of reasons. One is the website says it is a mechanical/ dynamic brake and I want to stay away from a dynamic brake due to the increase in the chance of line bleed. Also, the ProMark 4000 and ProMark 4000 Outback are two different winches that both are rated for 4000lbs, why would they have two winches rated for the same weight???? The Outback, as explained by the technician from ProMark, has a bigger housing with bigger/ stronger gears with more horsepower than the standard 4000lb winch. He said the Outback is marketed for the larger Side X Side UTV's (isn't that what the Gator is) but is probably too big for the space we have to mount the winch in and they don't make a mounting plate for it for the John Deere, only the standard 4000lb winch they sell will match up with the Warn 30 mounting plate bolt pattern. After talking with ProMark, Mile Marker and Warn technicians, I am going to go with a Warn XT30. The price of a ProMark 4000 is $239 (from where I could find it) plus $49 for synthetic rope and $65 for the wireless remote = $355 ($375 for the 4000 Outback). I found online at Atv Outfitters the Warn XT30 (which comes with synthetic line and wireless remote) for $459. So for $104 more I can have the peace of mind knowing that I have a Warn. Yes there is some debate that a 3000lb winch is too small for the Gator, however in my own opinion and what I have learned from talking to all 3 companies yesterday on the phone 3000lb winch is what your supposed to have for a vehicle weighing 1700-2000lbs (which is my gator loaded-- 1 1/2 times the weight of the vehicle should = the winch). Additionally, you should try not to ever do a straight line pull as proper winching techniques say to use snatch blocks so you would actually be pulling 1500lbs (assuming you rig was buried to a pulling weight of 3000lbs). I was also discussing the battery size and alternator output that the 825i has with the Warn technician. He was really surprised how many amps the alternator was putting out, according to the manual and website specs it is a 75 amp alternator. He said they tested the Warn 30 with the old alternator that only put out 25.5 amps years ago when they finally convinced John Deere to stop putting a 2500 lb Warn winch and go to a 3000lb winch. He said that with the larger alternator that the 825i's have the Warn 30 will actually perform perfectly and leave enough alternator for lights, radios, heaters, etc. Also the specification sheet says that the 825i had 340 cold cranking amp battery which would be too small for the Warn 40, however I believe that is a typo in John Deere's manual and website because my battery is a 480 cold cranking amps. He said with a 75 amp alternator and 480 cold cranking amp battery (which is like a battery in a honda civic) he said we have more than enough to run a Warn 40. Now comes the question if a Warn 40 will fit. According to the dimensions on the Warn's website and the actual measurements I took, the winch should fit, however some guys on this forum have tried and said it doesn't fit. Plus John Deere Gator hasn't told Warn to make a winch mounting plate yet for the 40 so we would have to make one up if we were to use the 40. So, to summarize all this, the electrical output can handle a Warn XT40, but only a Warn XT30 mounting plate is available so far, so that is what I am most likely going with, a Warn XT30.

825joe
03-25-2011, 08:42 AM
i have a 4500lb superwinch that will fit but where can I get a mount. I thought it would just mount to the holes in the bumper?

Vip123
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Which model of superwinch do you have 825joe?

825joe
03-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I have the 4500 Terra series. Had it on my rhino but my wife and I got T-bones by a guy who wasn't paying attention going to fast while we were crossing the street to get to my trailer. PA state law allows it. The wife broke her pelvis and her left knee. I had a huge gash down to the skull and got 15 stitches. Thank GOD she is alive. The guy didn't seem concerned about us which pissed me off later when I realized what had happened. We both looked both ways and there was no one there. Next thing I know boom. Jeep cherokee surprised us.

Vip123
03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
I have the 4500 Terra series. Had it on my rhino but my wife and I got T-bones by a guy who wasn't paying attention going to fast while we were crossing the street to get to my trailer. PA state law allows it. The wife broke her pelvis and her left knee. I had a huge gash down to the skull and got 15 stitches. Thank GOD she is alive. The guy didn't seem concerned about us which pissed me off later when I realized what had happened. We both looked both ways and there was no one there. Next thing I know boom. Jeep cherokee surprised us.

Wow, glad you made it out with the injuries you got. But that is the winch I was looking at, Terra 4500. So it fits with no problem?

825joe
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
it fits in there fine, now I don't have the mounting plate yet though. I have been looking all over for one. Not sure if the plate is going to take up much room

jdgator
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM
For those of you looking for a cost effective, high quality solution check out the Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 3500lb winch kit at Amazon. The price for this winch is less than $200 delivered and the overall quality of all components is very good. The 4500lb version of this winch will fit in the allotted space but mounting plates are not readily available. The mounting bolt pattern and fairlead roller size changes between the 3500 and 4500lbs versions.

The mounting kit (plate and bolts) for 3500# winches on a 2011 825i can be purchased for ~$75 from American Manufacturing (www.eagleplows.com). This plate is slightly different from JD's version but is just as heavy if not heavier and all 825i mounting holes do line up.

For step by step mounting instructions go to the JD manual section for the 825i on JDs website. There is a winch manual available for free download that covers installation of the JD Warn winch. JD's manual and Superwinch's installation instructions are all that needed for an easy install. Do set aside at least 2 full hours for the complete install.

Getting the mounting plate and 3500# winch into the mounting space is a bit of a trick. You will need to install both together- twist, turn, slide left/right, etc. The grab bar in the glove box is a good place to mount the switch to operate the winch (atv handle bar mounting is provided). The remote switch connector fits well and looks nice if installed in the plastic bumper cover just to the right or left of the winch.

So for less than $300 you can install a nice winch on the 825i. This is half of what JD charges for a similar solution.

Vip123
03-30-2011, 10:33 AM
For those of you looking for a cost effective, high quality solution check out the Superwinch 1135220 Terra 35 3500lb winch kit at Amazon. The price for this winch is less than $200 delivered and the overall quality of all components is very good. The 4500lb version of this winch will fit in the allotted space but mounting plates are not readily available. The mounting bolt pattern and fairlead roller size changes between the 3500 and 4500lbs versions.

The mounting kit (plate and bolts) for 3500# winches on a 2011 825i can be purchased for ~$75 from American Manufacturing (www.eagleplows.com). This plate is slightly different from JD's version but is just as heavy if not heavier and all 825i mounting holes do line up.

For step by step mounting instructions go to the JD manual section for the 825i on JDs website. There is a winch manual available for free download that covers installation of the JD Warn winch. JD's manual and Superwinch's installation instructions are all that needed for an easy install. Do set aside at least 2 full hours for the complete install.

Getting the mounting plate and 3500# winch into the mounting space is a bit of a trick. You will need to install both together- twist, turn, slide left/right, etc. The grab bar in the glove box is a good place to mount the switch to operate the winch (atv handle bar mounting is provided). The remote switch connector fits well and looks nice if installed in the plastic bumper cover just to the right or left of the winch.

So for less than $300 you can install a nice winch on the 825i. This is half of what JD charges for a similar solution.

Is this the winch mount you are talking about? Eagle Winch mount (http://northstaratv.com/utvwinchmountforjohndeeregator.aspx)

jdgator
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
The referenced winch mount is not pictured on the website (they told me they were going to add it 2 months ago). Follow the 'eagle winch mounts' link at : http://www.eagleplows.com/applicationchart.html .

The part number you need for a 2011 825i is 1832 -- you will have to call them ( 1-800- 328-4631). The winch mounts inside the opening as designed (not hanging off the front like prior years).

Vip123
03-30-2011, 12:00 PM
The referenced winch mount is not pictured on the website (they told me they were going to add it 2 months ago). Follow the 'eagle winch mounts' link at : http://www.eagleplows.com/applicationchart.html .

The part number you need for a 2011 825i is 1832 -- you will have to call them ( 1-800- 328-4631). The winch mounts inside the opening as designed (not hanging off the front like prior years).

Ahh ok, thanks !

825joe
04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
ordered the JD mount plates. MY superwinch 4500 looks like it will have good clearance.

m38inmaine
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't see any manuals available on jd's site, looks to me like they want you to order them. Link?

825joe
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM
The manuals aren't up yet, but the one for the 625i is available in pdf read format. everything is basically the same but the engine.

Deputy347k9
04-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I was at the local John Deere dealership picking up parts today, while there I inquired about the Warn 3000 winch. According to them I could purchase the winch and mounting adapter that would go into both the front and rear receiver. From what they said the mounting adapter comes with the wire harness adapter for the rear. This way I could use the winch both front and rear, just unplug, remove the pin and install in the other reciver. Of course the cost is up there, $699.00 for the winch (BM23104) and the mount (BM23105) is $199.00. I was told that it would take about two hours of labor for install. Just seems like a lot of money for a 3000 pound winch, of course I will get 10% off, at least I hope.

jdgator
04-17-2011, 08:09 AM
The manuals aren't up yet, but the one for the 625i is available in pdf read format. everything is basically the same but the engine.

I used the following manual : http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM161331_F0/Output/Index.html?tM=GC

825joe
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Well, I installed my 4500 lb superwinch saturday. I will post up some pics soon! I used the bracket that came with the winch and drilled my own holes for the mount. Trimmed the plastic a bit in front and it looks factory! Perfect. Ran the wires through the center console and mounted the contactor next to the battery. I like that the bumper is nice and strong to mount a winch on. To get the bolts from underneath was a challenge but got them with a wobbler extention. Fits in there perfectly. Also picked up the deluxe steering wheel knob a.k.a. (Suicide knob) which makes the steering wheel position a lot more comfortable and easy to manuever around my woods.

purplewg
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I look forward to your pics joe. I am still trying to decide if I want to make a bracket that I can plug into the front or rear hitch receiver or just go permanent in the front. Seems most times I get stuck, I really don't want to go forward anymore. I wanna back out and get out of there. lol

825joe
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
lol! I hear ya. I am going to take some pics tonight and hopefully upload them tomorrow. That bumper is very solid so I am happy about that. I was thinking about doing the hitch mount bracket, but liked the way it looks in the bumper a lot better.

purplewg
04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
lol! I hear ya. I am going to take some pics tonight and hopefully upload them tomorrow. That bumper is very solid so I am happy about that. I was thinking about doing the hitch mount bracket, but liked the way it looks in the bumper a lot better.

It's a tough call between looks and functionality. lolol Look forward to your pics.

825joe
04-22-2011, 08:08 AM
ive been slackin' I just have to upload them onto tinypic and then paste them. Doin it tonight come heck or high water lol.

825joe
04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/palazzj1/image.jpg

825joe
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af128/palazzj1/image-1.jpg

purplewg
04-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Looks good Joe. I see the Superwinch also uses a permanent magnet motor which is a good thing. I'm still undecided about my mount.

825joe
04-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks bud! It works great! I also like that it has mechanical and dynamic breaking system. I hate when the line slowly creeps out.

CCGATOR
05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
I am still undecided on where to mount my XT-30. In the front guard (better looking), or in the front/rear receiver hitch (more practical). In another post that I cannot find, there was an issue with the winch getting buried in mud when mounted on the front receiver hitch. Has anyone tried keeping the receiver hitch mount at the rear, out of the way. Will lifting the cargo box interfere wit the winch at the rear?

hadkins2
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I am still undecided on where to mount my XT-30. In the front guard (better looking), or in the front/rear receiver hitch (more practical). In another post that I cannot find, there was an issue with the winch getting buried in mud when mounted on the front receiver hitch. Has anyone tried keeping the receiver hitch mount at the rear, out of the way. Will lifting the cargo box interfere wit the winch at the rear?

CCGATOR, That was my post in the showroom section. I have not moved mine to the rear yet to see how it "rides" there. I posted a pic of the winch in the front receiver in that thread. I was crossing a water break on a hill and the angle was extreme when I put the fairlead in the mud. That is not going to be the norm for me. I just wanted to see how it handled.

GATOR4HUNTING
05-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Make sure whatever winch you buy is sealed some are some are not, hence "the cheaper price" or you will be breaking it down for a good cleaning/ lubrication if not replacing it.

825joe
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
The good ones will say Sealed. Warn, superwinch, even Viper winches have sealed models. Something to look for though. Good point.

greg825i
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Took delivery of the 825i a week ago monday along with a zero turn pro track 920A with a 60" deck for mowing duties on our land. Due to all the rain we have been having here have had to pull the zero track out of the mud three times by hooking up a tow chain between the gator and mower. So definitely need a winch. I liked the XT40 Warn unit and went back and forth with the dealer, Warn, various on line places and finally decided to go the receiver mount route with quick disconnects for front and rear cables. Put the order in today and should be here in a few days. Can't wait to get it set up.

825Joe thought about drilling like you did but everyone I spoke to said no guarantees that the XT40 would fit. Will post pictures when its done.

Thanks Joe and everyone.

Laxin213
07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
New to forum. I have an 825i in camo. I ordered the warn xt40 and took apart the front bumper to get better access to drill holes in the bumper. Had to drill 4 holes to match the smaller bolts, then 4 more holes to get a socket in there. I'll post a pic when my mount job is complete, but the winch fits in the spot in the front bumper.

UPDATE:
I added the below pics, if you click on them they get bigger.
Random notes:
-The brown line is a ground!! It must be attached off the wired system's control box! The manual does not make this clear.
-I used the plate and rollerhead fairlead that came in the box from the guy on eBay I got the winch from, seller name montanajacksatv. I just drilled out the gator bumper to match the holes already in the plate that came in the box. I
-I mounted both control boxes in the battery compartment and then I mounted the wired and wireless control in the glove box opening on the pass side.
-I tied into a fused, hot only when the key is in line I found when I took out the center console floor plastic thing leading from the firewall to the little glovebox between the pass near the gear selector. We found a red line under the steering wheel we wanted to use, but it wasn't hot only on key, it was always hot.

Hoes this helps someone save some time and headaches.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7219/picture1226x.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/picture1226x.jpg/)
XT40 mounted

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2239/picture1224.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/picture1224.jpg/)
XT40 mounted with a neoprene cover on it I got off eBay

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/107/picture1231.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/picture1231.jpg/)
My somewhat messy battery compartment. I doubled sided sicky taped one of the control boxes and bolted the other one (wireless one) to the top of the plastic rain catcher in the far right of the pic

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1309/picture1230.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/picture1230.jpg/)
wireless control box for XT40 bolted under pass seat

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1246/picture1227.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/picture1227.jpg/)
I used some auto wire housing and di-electric grease on the fittings at the front and back of the winch

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/674/picture1225.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/picture1225.jpg/)
Here the how I cut the bumper with my dermel. Its not a perfect job but it'll do.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4716/picture1219s.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/picture1219s.jpg/) http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9582/picture1221.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/picture1221.jpg/) http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7655/picture1223.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/picture1223.jpg/)

Pictures of some of the holes I drilled to allow the socket to pass through. I then took some black rust olem and painted over the inside exposed metal holes with Q-TIPs to prevent rust.

Zephyr74
07-09-2011, 12:24 AM
New to forum. I have an 825i in camo. I ordered the warn xt40 and took apart the front bumper to get better access to drill holes in the bumper. Had to drill 4 holes to match the smaller bolts, then 4 more holes to get a socket in there. I'll post a pic when my mount job is complete, but the winch fits in the spot in the front bumper.

FINALLY!!!!! Thank you Laxin213! I am looking forward to your pictures. Did you use the XT30 mounting plate? And if I'm not mistaken, the XT40 uses a larger bolt pattern footprint than the 30, is that what you mean by having to drill 4 holes?
Thanks!

825joe
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
finally??? Thats exactly what I said....lol The top 4 holes for the mounting plate, then go underneath and drill 4 larger holes directly under the 4 for the top mounting plate so you can fit a socket in there to tighten.

Laxin213
07-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Zephyr74 - I updated my post, let me know if that answered your questions...

825joe
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
copycat....:lol:

Zephyr74
07-14-2011, 05:07 PM

THANKS LAXIN213! I now need to buy the winch....and shop around for a good price. I really like your setup. I talked with the engineers at Warn a few months back and they said the XT40 was "too big" of a winch "electrically speaking" for the gator due to the CCA of the Battery and the Alternator output......however, they did not have the updated specs from the new 825i with the Cherry motor in it. The CCA of the battery and the alt output is considerably larger than the specs show in the manual (another oversight by JD as they still have specs in there for the 620i). The Warn engineer said that with the battery at 660 cca and the alternator at 75 amps it can handle the Warn XT 40 no problem! So, I'm glad you guys have gone out there and made it fit....I will be copying you all soon.
Thanks,
Ryan

Laxin213
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
The best price I was able to find on the winch was the seller I mentioned in my earlier post above, on eBay. Happy deal hunting zeph

greg825i
07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I got my Xt40 on Ebay from ATVOUTFITTERS.NET Great price. Great service.

Zephyr74
07-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the websites!

Deputy347k9
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Just visited the ATVOUTFITTERS site, GREAT price for a lot more pull. Thanks guys as this really helps out. Makes the job much easier when someone has all ready done all the hard work by installing the XT40. Again, thank you.
Larry

Zephyr74
12-03-2011, 01:08 PM

I sent you a private message, I have a couple of questions! Thanks!

jandrold
12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
KFI makes a mount for this application and the specs say it fit all superwinchs'

Zephyr74
12-09-2011, 06:36 PM
KFI makes a mount for this application and the specs say it fit all superwinchs'

I just spoke to KFI yesterday. GOOD NEWS for everybody who has been waiting for someone to make a winch mounting plate for the 825i that will accommodate a XT40 (or similar size winch that uses the larger bolt pattern). There is NO drilling required. Their mounting plate will bolt right to the Warn XT40 and then it will bolt right to the front bumper of the gator. Has anybody used KFI yet?

CaptDan
12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I have not used it yet, but looks like I might be. I just checked their web site and it says their mounting kit fits the 825i and the Warn XT40. I will call and verify Zephyr's information and then order it.

Thanks everyone for their input

Dan

fire gator
12-09-2011, 08:52 PM
what about there winch kfi appears to be much cheaper

jandrold
12-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Mine is already on order and will be here next week along with a superwinch terra 4500 Will post up after the install. The mount was $45.00 from amazon.

fire gator
12-10-2011, 09:28 AM
called kfi today claim any of the winches listed will fit without any modifactions:Cnfsd:

John Deere Nick
12-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I am happy that folks are starting to accomadate us gator owners needs. Now we just need a water proof belt kit of chain kit and lifts. Great find guys. After the holidays il be ordering a winch plate and a superwinch terra 4500.

jandrold
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
KFI Winch mount. Well the mount came in today but not the winch. It is KFI part number 100860 and it is weird. It does not mount the winch to the bottom of the space on the gator but the mount bolts to the back side of the space where the winch goes and the second part goes around the winch and holds the fairlead, all which bolts to the first part. So now the winch mounting bolts are pointing aft, or to the rear. I know it will work but the part that holds the fairlead, coversup most the winch. More later.

CaptDan
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
pictures please !

Dan

jandrold
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry no way to take pic's and even if I could my new gator won't be delivered until tomarrow. Maybe later this week, will have the daughter-inlaw bring over her camera. Go to the KFI web site and picture how I explained it mounts to the gator. That the best I can do for now.

John Deere Nick
12-12-2011, 03:04 PM
odd

jandrold
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Update to the KFI mount. The dealer just droped off a shinny new gator a day early, 1 mile and .5 on the meter. Now back to the mount, it does fit like I posted earlier, it will mount your winch about 3 inches forward from where you think it should be. My BIG problem is I also bought the 72inch hyd snow blade for this gator and 2 of its mounts mount in the openning where the winch mounts and it looks like the KFI mount will not work at all with this plow but I still may be able to install the winch by drilling holes and placing the winch further aft/back, we will see.

Zephyr74
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Update to the KFI mount. The dealer just droped off a shinny new gator a day early, 1 mile and .5 on the meter. Now back to the mount, it does fit like I posted earlier, it will mount your winch about 3 inches forward from where you think it should be. My BIG problem is I also bought the 72inch hyd snow blade for this gator and 2 of its mounts mount in the openning where the winch mounts and it looks like the KFI mount will not work at all with this plow but I still may be able to install the winch by drilling holes and placing the winch further aft/back, we will see.

Still no way to take pictures? I would really like to see what it looks like on the gator before I buy a KFI mount. Thanks.

jandrold
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
680681 I hope this helps..it looks simple..

Zephyr74
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
680681 I hope this helps..

This does help, thanks! What a weird/ different way of mounting the winch!

fire gator
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
but if it strong and works giving option for many of the winches not an option:Ysnd:

puggsleys gator
12-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Kfi winch mount, superwinch (4500) mounted, finished up today. Started day before yesterday and if it weren't for the rains we've had I would of been done long ago! Makes a neat looking package. Will try to post photos

Zephyr74
12-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Kfi winch mount, superwinch (4500) mounted, finished up today. Started day before yesterday and if it weren't for the rains we've had I would of been done long ago! Makes a neat looking package. Will try to post photos

Great! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I just got my XT40 in the mail, now I need to decide how I am going to mount it.

CaptDan
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Me too Zephyr keep us posted what you decide to do, I am still trying to decide how I am mounting mine.

Dan

Regulator
12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I bought a new Warn XT30 and I got a reciever mount for it after much thought...I just figured that I can keep it in the rear reciever mount this winter while I am plowing snow (if we get enough to plow...), and then put it back on the front when I have the plow off...I just like the idea of being able to use it from both ends with ease, plus have the option of leaving it off when I know I won't be needing it...(which is when I will be stuck the worst most likely...hahaha)....I see nothing wrong with mounting them in the front at all...it looks better to be honest...I really like that mount that's pictured up a few posts...

Merry Christmas all!!!

Larry in MD

Zephyr74
12-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Puggsleys gator---Any pictures you can post yet? Thanks!

scottj
01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Group,

Installed the superwinch and have the following pictures:

Issues/Comments:

Solenoid must be mounted in at hood lanch for all wires to fit properly. Blue/green (long) and red/black (short) wires must be switched.
Eagle plow winch mount utilized and fit flawlessly, bolts are tricky to tighten but nothing major.

Scott

bowman
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Has anybody used the 825i mount from Cambridge Metals they say it will work on a Warn xt40 winch. I seen it on e-bay for $74 + shipping. I looks geat if it works.

angusxteme
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
installed the promark on my 825 awhile back. put the contactor in the backside of the battery box and mounted the winch on a receiver hitch plate & wired it up so it could be mounted in the front or the rear. ran wiring through the console to front and through frame rail to the back. its an all day job. be sure that the wiring is well routed & secure to avoid contact with the driveline. Just barely room through console, but looks and works well once installed. good luck and lots of patience!

Zephyr74
02-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Has anybody used the 825i mount from Cambridge Metals they say it will work on a Warn xt40 winch. I seen it on e-bay for $74 + shipping. I looks geat if it works.

Did you end up going with this mount? If so, how does it work out with the XT40?

CaptDan
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM

is there a web site for Cambridge Metals ? I can't seem to find them on the web or any information about their winch mount ?

Thanks

Dan

missouri gator
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Dan,
I found this not for sure if its the one you want you might take a look. www.cmp-wwm.com

Mark

bowman
02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi Zephyr I did not buy a mount yet and I'm still looking. Eagleplows.com also has a mount #1832 for the 825i that is made for the Warn xt40 and Promark sells it for around $55 w/free shipping and it looks like it will work. The picture of the Cambridge mount on E-Bay looks strong. I hope to buy the winch and the mount soon. All I need is the money.

Bowman

Zephyr74
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Zephyr I did not buy a mount yet and I'm still looking. Eagleplows.com also has a mount #1832 for the 825i that is made for the Warn xt40 and Promark sells it for around $55 w/free shipping and it looks like it will work. The picture of the Cambridge mount on E-Bay looks strong. I hope to buy the winch and the mount soon. All I need is the money.

Bowman

I have called both ProMark and Eagleplow. ProMark's website is wrong.....the winch mount plate #1832 will NOT work fort the XT 40 bolt pattern, as the XT40 bolt pattern is wider than the standard bolt pattern for the XT30. I just spoke to Eagleplow (American Manufacturing) and they said the winch mount plate was designed for the XT30. I asked if I could drill holes out to adapt it to the XT40 and he said NO, as there was not enough metal to the sides of his plate to accommodate a larger bolt pattern as the XT40 requires........

so we are back to square one.......looking for a plate that will bolt to a XT40 and mount to our Gator. I know the KFI will, but I don't like the fact that the bracket covers a majority of the winch rope and its hard to look in to see how the rope is winding up.

ANYBODY else out there have ideas?

plateauman57
03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
zephyr i'm in the same boat as you. have held off for over two months ordering my xt40 for fear i might buy it and not get a mount that will work on my gator. almost went with the xt30 but figured i would give it some time. even thought of going with another winch but always come back to the warn. hopefully someone will chime in with something.

Zephyr74
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
zephyr i'm in the same boat as you. have held off for over two months ordering my xt40 for fear i might buy it and not get a mount that will work on my gator. almost went with the xt30 but figured i would give it some time. even thought of going with another winch but always come back to the warn. hopefully someone will chime in with something.

I bought my XT40 already....just waiting for a company to make something for us. I have seen others have modified a XT30 mounting plate, but I am still going to wait a little while longer.

bowman
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks Zephyr74 I was just going to order the XT40 from Warn Factory Outlet and a mount from Promark. Well like you said back to square one. I'll keep looking and if I find one I'll let you know.

bowman

bulldog
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Hello everyone, I have been reading the forum, am also looking for a winch. Found a KFI winch mount that is for 825i gator. It is suppose to work with the xt40 winch along with several others. I really do not know.The winch mount number is 100860.Maybe this will help?

Zephyr74
03-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone, I have been reading the forum, am also looking for a winch. Found a KFI winch mount that is for 825i gator. It is suppose to work with the xt40 winch along with several others. I really do not know.The winch mount number is 100860.Maybe this will help?

Bulldog---

Thanks for your input!! YES, that KFI will work for the 825 and XT40. The only problem, which is only my opinion, is the way the winch mounts, the top of the winch where the line spool is, is mostly blocked by the mounting plate for the roller fair lead. I hope I am describing this correctly. Look at this current thread, #71, its on the previous page from this one. It is a picture of the KFI winch mounting instructions and of the KFI mounted on their gator and it seemed to cover TOO much of the winch spool. I spoke with KFI, and they said they had a new design coming out as soon as they sold their current stock, but it did not change anything dealing with the problem I mentioned above. The new plate they said just allowed for lights to also be bolted to the plate, which I didn't quite understand but thats ok.

I'll still wait for something else to come along. Some manufacture out there will see what we are waiting for and make it! If KFI did, others will too.....only a better design!

CaptDan
03-08-2012, 01:45 AM
bulldog,

If you read this post I have some pictures of the KFI mount for the XT40 winch. As I stated there and I saw above in Zephyr74's post the issue with the KFI winch mount is that the place they provide covers too much of the winch drum as far as I am concerned. There are pictures posted in the below listed thread. I called KFI and they are changing their design based upon my recommendation.

I am having the winch mounting bracket modified at this time and will post new photos as soon as I get the piece done.

http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?11722-KFI-Winch-Mount&highlight=winch+mount

dan

Zephyr74
03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
bulldog,

If you read this post I have some pictures of the KFI mount for the XT40 winch. As I stated there and I saw above in Zephyr74's post the issue with the KFI winch mount is that the place they provide covers too much of the winch drum as far as I am concerned. There are pictures posted in the below listed thread. I called KFI and they are changing their design based upon my recommendation.

I am having the winch mounting bracket modified at this time and will post new photos as soon as I get the piece done.

http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?11722-KFI-Winch-Mount&highlight=winch+mount

dan

Dan,

I did speak to KFI after you posted the response you received back from them on changing their design. According to the lady on the phone there at KFI, the new design was only accommodating for lights to be mounted, and not changing the overall design that covers the spool. She said they had the new design out, but would not sell it until the old stock of the old design was sold out! Thats kind of bad business practice if they made a better design that would get the word out there, they could sell more of the new product! Hopefully she was wrong! I look forward to seeing your new pictures....and how you modified it.

bowman
03-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I E-Mail Cambridge Metals today about there winch mount and the Warn XT40 and this there reply.

We have installed the XT40 using this mount. It will not be an issue.- cambridgemetals

So I order one from them and then I order a XT40 so when I get them in a week or so we shell see. I'll keep you all infrom.

Bowman.

Zephyr74
03-08-2012, 11:00 PM
BOWMAN---

Awesome news! As soon as you get let me know what you think....then I'll place my order too. Keeping my fingers crossed!

CaptDan
03-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Zephyr74,

I only know what they said in a conversation and then sent this e-mail follow up on January 15, 2012...........

Response from KFI

Dan,

Thank you for your extremely detailed and well thought out proposal. We’re absolutely taking this into consideration in redesigning the mount very soon. KFI intends to create a new revision of the 100860 to accommodate John Deere’s OEM fog lights accessory and at that time will look into a new fairlead mounting design as well.

-KFI Tech Support

bowman
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi Zephyr74

I got the winch ( Warn XT40 ) and the mount from Cambridge Metals today and they both look great. The holes on the winch line up perfect with the mount. But there is a problem my 825i is in the shop for repairs so I can't check the holes on the it. I hope to have it back Monday or Tuesday of next week. As soon as I get it back I'll check it out and let you know if it will work. So far I like the mount alot it's heavy duty.

Bowman

Zephyr74
03-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Bowman--

GREAT news about the winch mounting plate! Hopefully it ends up bolting right up to the front bumper. As soon as you try bolting it to the front bumper and it all works without any modifications, I'll order one ASAP! I've been waiting so long for it!

How Much was the plate??

Sorry to hear about your gator in the shop...what happened?

Zephyr74

bowman
03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Zephyr74

I got the mound on E-Bay $74.95 + $12 shipping. It's a good time to buy the winch too Warn has a $50 rebate tell May 31st. Got mine at warnfactoryoutlet.com $569.73 free shipping. I also got a hawse on E-Bay the winch comes with a fairlead and I wanted a hawse. Ebay ID: KNAINWI vary nice aluminum hawse.

Now the gator I have less then 10 hours on it and I was geting some grinding noise from undereath. Sounds like a bearing. I'll know more on Monday.

Bowman

Zephyr74
03-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Bowman--

I had 7.6 hours on my gator and took it in last month for a grinding sound from underneath and they replaced the bearing and front end on mine. Its the same problem everybody else has complained about on here. They found scoring marks on my front differential gear and pinon too.Thanks for the info on the price...hopefully you get it back soon.

Zephyr74

Deputy347k9
03-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Zephyr74, I thought John Deere had a new bearing setup for all the 2012 machines? Was this not done?

Larry in ME

Zephyr74
03-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Zephyr74, I thought John Deere had a new bearing setup for all the 2012 machines? Was this not done?

Larry in ME

Larry,

Not sure. I have a 2011 machine and they replaced it under warranty. My first trip out with it since the bearing replacement, it made a horrible noise again. But this time the noise immediately stopped after I went in reverse after taking it out of 4wd. I think this is like my old dodge pickup. After I am in 4wd, I need to take it out of 4wd and go in reverse for about 10 feet and then it is out of 4 wd????? Any thoughts?

Zephyr74
03-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Zephyr74

I got the mound on E-Bay $74.95 + $12 shipping. It's a good time to buy the winch too Warn has a $50 rebate tell May 31st. Got mine at warnfactoryoutlet.com $569.73 free shipping. I also got a hawse on E-Bay the winch comes with a fairlead and I wanted a hawse. Ebay ID: KNAINWI vary nice aluminum hawse.

Now the gator I have less then 10 hours on it and I was geting some grinding noise from undereath. Sounds like a bearing. I'll know more on Monday.

Bowman

Bowman--

Have you got your Gator back from the dealer yet? How does the XT40 and the Cambridge Metals winch mount plate fit, if you have had a chance yet to put it on??? Any pictures you can send to me or post would be awesome.....I need to start thinking of how to get this Xt40 onto my gator.

Thanks,
Zephyr74

bowman
03-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Zephyr74

Great news the mount from Cambridge Metals works on the 825i w/XT40 winch. It's tricky getting the bolts and nuts on but it works. The back right bolt is the hardest to get in the hole. You have to take two of the bumper bolts out and use the 4 spacer that comes with the mount. I'll have more pictures tomorrow.

Bowman

bowman
03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Zephyr74

Tried to post some pictures three times but no luck. Any hints?

Bowman

jandrold
03-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Email them to him and maybe he can post them for you.

Jim O.
USMC Ret.

Zephyr74
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Zephyr74

Tried to post some pictures three times but no luck. Any hints?

Bowman

I sent you a private message with my email!
Thanks

plateauman57
03-27-2012, 02:29 PM
any pics yet?

Zephyr74
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
any pics yet?

I will try to do it soon. I got the pictures from Bowman, just need a little free time to figure out how to post a picture. Does anybody know if I need to upload them to Photobucket first?

Regulator
03-29-2012, 08:32 AM
I will try to do it soon. I got the pictures from Bowman, just need a little free time to figure out how to post a picture. Does anybody know if I need to upload them to Photobucket first?

That's how I post pics....it's pretty easy that way...send them to me if you can't get it figured out...

Larry in MD :Jestr:

bowman
03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3220001.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3220002.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3220003.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3220003.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3220004.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3230005.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3260008.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3260009.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3260010.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3260011.jpghttp://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Bowman100/P3260012.jpg

bowman
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Zephyr74

Will I got them posted maybe to big.

Bowman

Kiwi06
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Looks GREAT! Thanks for the pictures!

- Steve in CO

825joe
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
:Thmup:

plateauman57
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
looks great. will try to get mine ordered this weekend. thanks.

Regulator
03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
That looks great!!!....and the pics are definitely not too big...it's nice when they are that size where you can expand their size even more to see the specific details real good!!!:Thmup:

I'm a bit more partial to having my Warn Winch mounted on a reciever mount to use it from both ends if needed, but having it installed in the bumper like you have it sure looks alot cleaner...and, isn't that wireless controller the cats ass???...I love mine....I've got the XT30 instead of the 40 like you have...I just won't be able to get as stuck as you can!!! :lol:

Thanx for posting up the pics...very cool indeed...:Thmup:

Larry in MD :Jestr:

Zephyr74
03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Zephyr74

Will I got them posted maybe to big.

Bowman

Bowman,

Thanks soooo much for posting them. I got off duty and haven't gotten around to getting onto the forum until now. The pictures are perfect! Thanks again for everything!

Zephyr74

bowman
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks to everybody for there comments I'm glad I could help.

Bowman

Landscaper
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
looking good pictures! I like how the wireless remote thing is mounted under the glove box. I will have to look into that.

I got all my cables for my front and rear receiver mount and welded that all up but now just need to run the wires when i get a weekend.

Where did you mount the solenoid??

bowman
04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi Landscaper

I mounted the solenoid on the top of the firewall ( picture #6 ) on the driver side. If you could mount were the JD wed site shows in their picture next to the fuse box it would be perfect but there is no room. I did have to buy a set of 6 gauge 49" battery cables ( I got them at Walmart $6 or $7 ea. ) the ones that came with the XT40 were to short. Like Regulator said the wireless remote is the cat's ass.

Bowman

jandrold
04-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Did I miss the winch mount part number somewhere? Does it even have one?

Jim O.
USMC Ret.

bowman
04-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Jandrold

What part don't you understand.

Bowman

jandrold
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
I understand everything except what is the part# if it has one.

Jim O.
USMC Ret.

bowman
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
jandrold

The winch mount is from Cambridge Metals part # 1622F. You can get it on e-bay for $74.95 + $12 shipping. The is made for a 825i and Warn XT40 winch.
Bowman

bowman
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
jandrold

Did you order the mount or did you go for something different?

Bowman
Howell,Mi

jandrold
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I Have the KFI already and was thinking about swapping it out at a later date.

Jim O.
USMC Ret.

2011Raptor
11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I just finished my XT30 install with the KFI mount and I'm not real crazy how far out front of the bumper my XT sits. I may swap out the mount to give the winch more protection. :Cnfsd:

Zephyr74
11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
I just finished my XT30 install with the KFI mount and I'm not real crazy how far out front of the bumper my XT sits. I may swap out the mount to give the winch more protection. :Cnfsd:

That's why I went with the mount from Cambridge Metals.....do a search on here and check out some of our posts.

pwshepard
11-12-2012, 11:59 PM
First off, thanks for all the great information on the these forums, it really helps make an educated decision. After all my research, I decided to go with a SuperWinch 4500 with a Cambridge Metals mount. Here's a few of the details.

First off, I decided to mount the switch in one of the factory switch locations on the left side of the steering wheel. This tool a little dremel tool work in order for it to fit properly.

With the switch firmly in place, next I started working on the solenoid. I ran into a couple issues here. I tried to mount it under the storage tray under the hood, on the opposite side a sealed circuit board. Long story short, I wound up putting a screw in the circuit board and ruined it. After having it replaced, I found a small little area that the solenoid fit in perfectly. The mounting bracket on the back is very sturdy and one of screw holes stripped out really easy. After that happened, I decided to mount it with Velcro and zip ties. Here are a few pics, it's a little difficult to see the details.
This was the first location I tried.
This was the location I wound up using.

More to come.

pwshepard
11-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Moving on to the mounting the winch. The mount from Cambridge Metals is really nice, not too bulky and not too bad to install. First off you have to bolt the winch to the mount before installing on the Gator.

Next you have to install four spacers that go between the bottom of the winch mount and the top of the Gator bumper.
The most difficult part of the whole install was trying to align these spacers with the proper mounting holes. Mainly due to weight of the winch and mount and the small space you're working with. Once I had everything aligned properly and had the mounting bolts in place, I used an open end wrench to thread the nuts on and tighten. I had sufficient room to tighten all the nuts.

Hears a shot after everything was buttoned up.

2011Raptor
11-13-2012, 06:37 AM
PW, the install looks great. Do you have a picture of the winch up close and above to see how far behind the brush guard it sets? My 825i with the KFI mount set the Warn a little too far ahead of the brush guard for me..I need more protection for the winch..
Thank you in advance..:Ysnd:
T

pwshepard
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks. I'll post a couple more pics later today.

pwshepard
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Here's a couple more shots.

2011Raptor
11-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Thank you very much sir. That is the mount I need to get to give the wench more set back. :Ysnd:

lodogg1971
12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
For anyone looking for this Terra Superwinch 4500..I bought it today on Amazon for $167.00

MADDOG
12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I need to know where can I buy a promark wench for $135 bucks.

maddog, michigan

Bunky
08-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi Landscaper

I mounted the solenoid on the top of the firewall ( picture #6 ) on the driver side. If you could mount were the JD wed site shows in their picture next to the fuse box it would be perfect but there is no room. I did have to buy a set of 6 gauge 49" battery cables ( I got them at Walmart $6 or $7 ea. ) the ones that came with the XT40 were to short. Like Regulator said the wireless remote is the cat's ass.

Bowman

Thread revival.

Is the XT40 solenoid larger than the XT30 so it cannot mount where JD mounts it since there s another thread that says the XT30 solenoid fit the holes exactly.

bradhill
12-10-2015, 02:14 AM
Bunky

What did you find out?

Best Regards

Bunky
12-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Bunky

What did you find out?

Best Regards

Never did. I bought a superwinch terra 45. From what I had researched, the warn was just not worth the premium especially since their reputation was in larger winches.