PDA

View Full Version : "OPS Full No-Scratch Windshield"???

Zephyr74
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I found two different full windshields on John Deere's website, under build your own custom gator.
Part #BM23742 is the "OPS Full No-Scratch Windshield" and sells for $469. Part # BM23741 is the "OPS FULL Poly Windshield" (lower part also folds) and sells for $373.

Does anybody have the NO-scratch windshield, and is it worth the extra money? I am going to be putting the gator on a flatbed trailer when I trailer it and was thinking about putting the no-scratch windshield on so that it won't get scratched up as much. Any thoughts??
Thanks!

purplewg
04-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm no plastics expert but I am going to a place that sells Lexan. I will either buy a piece and cut it myself or make a pattern and have them cut it out. I have cut down a couple cycle windshields with no problem so maybe I can cut this also. I put masking tape on both sides and used a fine metal cutting blade in a jigsaw. Then I polished the edges with 1500 grit wet or dry sand paper. I haven't priced either way yet but I expect it to be half the cost if not more.

825joe
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
One my be lexan which is the best you can get, and the other may be just plexiglass. I'd spend the extra on the lexan if you can swing it bud.

Zephyr74
04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
According to the JD website, the "No-scratch windshield" is "Manufactured from super-premium, two-sided Makrolon? AR grade abrasion-resistant polycarbonate" which I am assuming just a different brand of LEXAN? LEXAN is a brand of super-premium polycarbonate. Is this correct?

-- And thanks 825joe for your advice, I will spend the extra money and get the better windshield. Which windshield do you have?

--Purplewg--I'm not as crafty as you, but more power to you! Take a picture and post it on here when you complete this. Thanks!

And does anybody have either windshield that could comment if you can drive the gator with the windshield in the vented (fully open) position? According to another website that sells a Koplin Lexan windshield the owners manual says not to operate the gator with the windshield in the fully open position. Maybe the Koplin uses a different hinge than the one from John Deere?