PDA

View Full Version : Which options should you get from dealer and which from aftermarket?

roughinmill
04-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I have been lusting after a side x side for a long time and have decided on the Gator, I am ready to go to the dealer and make a deal, the options on the Build your own options look pricy to me, being a tight wad and all. I don't see many aftermarket parts for the 2011 gators is there a place I have missed or is it the dealer or nothing? I want my ducks in a row before I get to the dealer so I can bargain for the best possible price. I've seen some folks say the can get 10% to 20% off add-ons when you buy the machine, if so I need to know what I need to get from the dealer and what I can get aftermarket at a better deal. I have a beef cattle farm and will mainly use if for day to day chores. I would like to use it to spray my yard with the 45 gal. tank and boom but they had no price so that tells me they are really high, anyone use one for this purpose, and have a better option? :Wlys:

WOEII
04-12-2011, 04:22 AM
I had this same issue and that's why I created this site. Everything on the net is hunt and peck to find.

We are new here so give us a little bit cuz we gonna have a bunch of venders sellin toys for our toys soon! :BG:

purplewg
04-12-2011, 07:29 AM
I wanted something more substantial for a top so I ordered my LineX coated aluminum diamond plate top form here. http://www.diamondbackutv.com/ You can order direct or through a dealer. It is about the same cost as the plastic one from the dealer. I think the more of these units that get on the market the more aftermarket parts you will see available for them. I have contacted Diamondback already with an idea I would like to see them make available for the XUV.

What to buy from the dealer? I guess it depends on you. I plan to make a lot of my own bolt on stuff but then I can weld. Here is a pic of a front basket I made for mine. I will attach the swing and mount parts as soon as I get the gator to measure off of.
http://images.myphotoalbum.com/p/pu/pur/purp/purpl/purplewg/albums/album02/basket2.sized.jpg

I couldn't make camo so I ordered that. lol I have plans to make other pieces and parts for it also. I will post them here and there may be some interest in what I make.

Check around your dealers. I had one that refused to come off list price on the Gator and others willing to deal some.

Earp
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I would also recomend getting prices from at least a couple of dealers. In my case, Dealer #2 had a 825i in stock with alloy wheels and rear screen which I got for the same price that I was quoted from Dealer #1 without these options. There is wiggle room MSRP, setup, and freight charges but (in my case) not in the roll-on/roll-off charge. In my case, Dealer #2 charged $225 less setup and no freight but the roll-on/roll-off was the same.
2011 825i, olive green, silver alloy wheels with bighorn tires, high back seats, rear screen, heavy duty brushguard, poly roof, toolbox. Attachments on order: rear bumper, front and rear fender guards, floor mats

Deputy347k9
04-12-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with all the above, there is room to move on these machines. I visited the dealer several times going over prices. I will list the exact costs of each item I initially received, trade in and dealer discount.

1. Stock 825i Suggested $11, 199.00/ My cost $11,199.00 Discount 0

2. Power Protection Package Suggested $1,175.00, my cost $ 1,096.00, discount $ 79.00
(a) Power bed lift
(b) heavy duty brush gurad
(c) Front fender guards
(d) Heavy duty floor mats

3. Deluxe Cargo Bed, Suggested $ 329.00, My cost $ 299.00, discount $ 30.00
(a) Polyurea liner
(b) Tail light protectors
(c) Operational park/brake lights

4. Bear Ops Screen, Suggested $ 239.00, My cost $ 199.00, discount $ 40.00

The below are dealer add on cost:
(a) Setup $ 100.00
(b) Freight $ 446.96
(c) Roll on Roll off $ 300.00 (This charge pisses me off)

Total machine/options and dealer additional cost: $13,639.96
Less trade in of a small CS Gator - $ 1,700.00
Dealer Discount on the entire package - $ 1,249.48 (plus another $140.00 off packages)
(Total discount was $1,389.48

Taxable balance $10,690.48
Maine tax + $ 534.52

Total cost out the door was $11,225.00

Since then I have now added the poly roof, ordered the windshield, rear bumper and rear fender guards.

John Deere also gives 10% off on packages that you order with a machine. Once you have the machine you have to pay full cost for each item included in a package, that's according to my local dealer. As soon as my ordered parts come in I am going to set down again with the dealer as I want a discount on items I purchase for the 825I.

In a nut shell that's it folks.

Larry

825joe
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
the adventure lights are 303 from dealer...its way to much. You can get a good set of PIAA's the whole kit for 160ish on amazon. Now the long range kit seems pretty decent at 169.

roughinmill
04-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Y'all are all over the same things I would want with a new Gator, I will try a couple of dealers, my problem Tri-Green bought most of the dealerships around my area. They closed the two closest to me so I have to travel 35 miles for the nearest and one not owned by Tri-Green is 50 miles away but I will give them a shot because I am somewhat attached to my money, I like to shop around and get the best possible deal. I'm old enough to walk away if the deal is not to my standards. Thanks for the info.

purplewg
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Y'all are all over the same things I would want with a new Gator, I will try a couple of dealers, my problem Tri-Green bought most of the dealerships around my area. They closed the two closest to me so I have to travel 35 miles for the nearest and one not owned by Tri-Green is 50 miles away but I will give them a shot because I am somewhat attached to my money, I like to shop around and get the best possible deal. I'm old enough to walk away if the deal is not to my standards. Thanks for the info.

I bought mine from a dealer 80 miles away from me. The one's closest to me are a chain and wanted list price on everything. I told them no thanks. You can save some gas by calling and asking for a price. I emailed four dealers and it took about a week to get all the responses back. The chain store would not give me a price till I called them and then that was list.

Deputy347k9
04-12-2011, 08:28 PM
The one good thing about my local dealerhsip is it's family owned. They started nearly fifty years ago and three generations still run it. I must say they are very nice and willing to deal to some extent.

roughinmill
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I called the dealership that is not chain owned and he said he had 11 on the lot! Maybe he only wants 10 and will make a good deal, thanks for all the info and ideas they will all come in handy. I think I will take the road trip tomorrow and see what he has to offer. What do y'all haul a Gator with, I have a 5 x 8 trailer but guess I will need a 6 x 10? 6 x 12?

trainman
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Wow, looks like in some parts of the US the dealers really stick it to you. In the DFW area in Texas where I live the local dealer will sell me the 825i for 5%-8% off of list, that's the out-the-door price. So if the base 825i is $11.199 you can buy it for somewhere around $10,300 OTD, that includes everything, freight, setup, paper work, everything. Now in Texas and probably other states you can get a tax exempt for farm or ranch use, that would be purchasing the unit with that state exempt. In Texas where everyone has a farm or ranch (well not everyone) you just fill out the state exempt form and you get the exemption, I don't know how your state would handle that. Not to sound dishonest here, but the dealers offer the form and the State of Texas does not check these forms, I personally do have a small two acre so called ranch, so I have no problem in signing the form. All accessories are sold at 10% off of list, but you would have to pay the state sales tax if not purchased at the time of delivery of your new unit, I assume they just don't want to mess with the paper work. Good Luck and get you best deal where you live.

John

bucksnort
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM
A 6x10 will work but its tight. I bought a 6x12 and it works great.

purplewg
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
A 6x10 will work but its tight. I bought a 6x12 and it works great.

:IAgre: Except I traded my 5x8 to a guy who needed something smaller for a 6x12 dual axle.

dieselsmith
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
At least 6x10.