PDA

View Full Version : How many keys?

purplewg
04-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I received one key with my Gator yesterday. Why one? Dang, you would think maybe two at a minimum. How many did you guys get with yours?

825joe
04-14-2011, 08:26 AM
I got 2 with mine. You should have 2

Deputy347k9
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
I only got one also? I will ask the dealer when I go back over, should have at least two and if your mind is like mine maybe 6!

gatorxuv620i
04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
I got 2 black keys and 1 old school looking key (head is round instead of square.)

number3shot
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I got two.
Did you know my key will fit your alls Gators and vise verse.:Ysnd:

purplewg
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok, the dealer is sending me another key. He said they are all the same!

dieselsmith
04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
I only got one. That key is even the same for lawnmowers! You would think for what their stuff costs each different product they make would have its own specific key. Anyone with a JD mower could come steal your Gator.

pugwash4
04-16-2011, 01:44 PM
john deere only as like 3 or 4 keys for all of their stuff same as cat

dieselsmith
04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Thats bullshit for what each of those companies stuff costs!

purplewg
04-16-2011, 08:12 PM
:IAgre:

gatorxuv620i
04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
:IAgre::BS: You all know you can get on Ebay and get a ring of all sorts of equipment keys for like $20. Depends on who ya get it from I've seen as many as 200 different keys on a ring!!! That would fit most every piece of equipment out there. Glad the thieves haven't figured that out yet lol

Steve_in_SEMich
04-24-2011, 08:55 PM
:IAgre:me too.

Once I found out that most of the travel trailers/5th wheel storage compartments all used key
"CH751", I changed them all to a round key lock that had at least a few different choices at Camping World. When we switched to a 5th Wheel four years ago, I found a locksmith that could order the same style locks with a unique code.

So my very ingenious fellow Gator owners, what can we do to make them ours, and only ours? Hope my nephews and brother-in-laws don't hear about this....... :hsu:

purplewg
04-25-2011, 07:15 AM
I am putting in a hidden battery cutoff. No key will start it then. I did try the key from my Deere zero turn mower and yup, it cranked the Gator right up.

BarnDoor
04-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I've been trying to keep that secret for a while, but my nephew figured it out. Ima try to get a different ignition switch with a better key. I catch that little punk on my gator again, he's gonna get an ass whoopin!

hadkins2
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
JD bulldozers share a common key with Gators also.

trainman
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I just purchased a new X300 riding mower and they told me all the keys are the same, now your telling me all the Gator keys are the same, please don't tell my grandkids.

John

purplewg
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I just purchased a new X300 riding mower and they told me all the keys are the same, now your telling me all the Gator keys are the same, please don't tell my grandkids.

John

Probably worse than that John is the fact that your X300 mower key will probably start your Gator also. My Z-Turn Deere key will start the Gator.

pugwash4
04-30-2011, 08:15 AM
the bulls are red keys and gators are the black ones

hadkins2
05-01-2011, 09:25 AM
the bulls are red keys and gators are the black ones

They still work, you have to turn them upside down.

trainman
05-05-2011, 10:46 PM
My new X300 mower and my new 825i have different keys, I'm probably the only one in Texas that has to use two different keys.

John

825joe
05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
id be surprised if a screwdriver didn't work and the key was for show. LOL!

Deputy347k9
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Today I was at the local John Deere dealershp as I need 2 quarts of paint, while there I did remember wanting another key. The owner told me I had two keys? I advised him I did not! He told me to look agian inside the package of documents I received at purchase. Not wanting to drive the 20 miles again I still purchased an extra key for just under $3.00. At home I checked the package and sure enough there was the second key! Now I have three, guess if I need to borrow your Gator I will have the keys.

purplewg
05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
I thought the same thing Deputy. I went and looked in the packet before I called the dealer and said, "hey what's up with one key"? lol

CaptDan
05-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I only received ONE key with my new gator today. I asked about a second key and the owner of the dealership said that was correct that only one key came with the Gator and that they had complained to JD to no avail. I asked about getting a second key and he said that they sell them in parts, so I went and bought one, just in case. I did think that after just having spent 12,000 on a new toy the least he could have done, especially as the owner of the dealership, he could have given me $3.25 key, but no, I had to pay the parts guy $ 3.25.

825joe
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I must be lucky. I got 2 with mine. My dealer might have thrown one in to be nice. Who knows.

roughinmill
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
My salesman gave me 3 keys with key rings with his dealership info on it, and he said he meant to get me some hats... :hray: yes hats not hat, he said come by the showroom and they will be in a bag behind his desk if he is not there. Tri-Green Equipment bought almost all the dealerships around the area :mad: (and closed many of them) :cuss: (The 3 close to me) :mad: so I was somewhat skeptical, big chain no personal service ect... :TT: boy was I wrong, I?m very impressed with my salesman :Thmup: and the dealership as a whole. I'll be back! :BG: :Thmup: :BG:

825joe
06-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Mine gave me 2 hats as well. One for me and my buddy who was with me.

trainman
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Well mine didn't give me a hat and I purchased in one month a new JD X300 riding mower and the 825i Gator. I guess thinking that he gave me a great deal on both I could get my own hat, but I think he just forgot. Now maybe it's because I was too busy asking for posters of a JD riding mower and one of the new 825i Gator, which after going back to his parts department he came back with two nice JD posters that JD sent them to hang up in the showroom. I was much more excited over them then a hat, they will look nice in the shop. I'm still looking for a Gator Hat as I know many of you are to.

John

825joe
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I would love to find a gator hat. I have a bunch of JD hats but no gator ones.

Deputy347k9
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Though I did purchase one extra key, I now have three. No doubt one or more will end up in my "key draw", area for keys that I just can't remember what they go to! Several years ago I purchased a new in the box trailer hitch locking system, came with two keys. With my new enclosed trailer I thought that would be a very nice addition for protection, can't find the darn keys.

My local dealer did give me one hat and one for a friend who came along. Also, John Deere sent a pretty pink one for my wife. Local dealer also gave me the first filter and oil for the 8 hour change. Not a bunch of money out of thier pocket but a very nice jesture that I really appreciate. Over the years I have received a number of new hats, oil, filters and key rings but of course I have spent several years worth of wages there also. I could have drove about 40 miles to NH where I could have purchased the 825i tax free, instead I chose to purchase from my local dealer out of customer loyality. From that one dealership I have had dealings with the great grandfather (purchased cows), grandfather (purchased new farm tractor, bucket, ridingl lawn mower, tiller, fertilizer spreader, mowers and my first new gator), grandson (purchased my new 825i) and last but not least from the great grandson I purchased a new diesel lawn mower. I know all by name as all know who I am also. One time when business was closed for Christmas holiday I had a major problem with one tractor that I needed in a bad way, without quesiton they drove to my farm and trailered it to their shop for emergency repair. Does not get better then that. There are times I gripe because I don't get what I want, 20K machine for 10K but I also realize they must make money to stay in business. I will continue to purchase from them and will continue my attempts for further discounts.

very respectfully,
Larry

trussman
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Just curious is there a key lock on the deluxe cab doors? If so would it be keyed the same as well???

CaptDan
10-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Just curious is there a key lock on the deluxe cab doors? If so would it be keyed the same as well???

Not sure about that but just an FYI, one key fits all Gators.

trussman
10-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Not sure about that but just an FYI, one key fits all Gators.

Yes I know, I read this every post in this thread and honestly can't believe you don't have individual keys per Gator. I plan on driving mine to work (1 mile away) in a small farm community where everyone has a JD key for something. sheeeshh!
Has anyone come up with an easy solution to this problem. I don't mind walking but would hate to look out and not see my gator in the parking lot and have to walkhome from work!

trussman
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
It seems to me that a separate switch that was in front of the normal JD ignition would work. The problem would be that is would be obvious to a would be theif to see what you have done. You could hide the kill switch but that might not be a good thing for the owner. What about a magnetic switch, where by you place a magnet in the right place on the dash that engages a relay that allows power to the ignition switch? This fella came up with one for a car, here is the link.

http://mr2.com/TEXT/IgnitionKillSwitch.html

Rather lenghty but it might have merit for those of us that would like to add more protection. Just a thought.

Darth Gator
10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
:bg:

xuvron
11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Probably worse than that John is the fact that your X300 mower key will probably start your Gator also. My Z-Turn Deere key will start the Gator.

300 key and gator keys are diff. All ztracks and gators have the same keys.

Charlie
04-09-2012, 08:47 AM
i got one key and on way out from the show room grab the one from the demo now I have two.:jm:

osiris
04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
the deluxe cab has locks no sure if one keys fits all though for the doors havent tried, and if you want to do an interuption circuit kill power to the fuel pump or an ignition, with a relay there is a few ways to do it ive used the cig lighter as the switch with the lighter pull out a little bit no start, but if u push the lighter in as if to make it hot the vehicle will start, but now thats the only use for it and when u shut it down pull the cig lighter and stick it in the glove box or leave it right there

bowman
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Get a trunk monkey.

The guys looking for a gator hat go to the Florida Gators web site they have some great looking hats with gators on them.

Bowman
Howell, Mi