PDA

View Full Version : Horn Kit

jonny2guns4u
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey Guys,

Anybody install the Horn Kit in thier 2011 825i yet? I got the kit today and unless I'm an idiot (which I don't think so, as I'm the Geek that reads the entire Installation Instructions before I even begin.)

There is a strap that is attached to the Horn and you are suppose to replace it with a longer thicker strap. There is just no way I saw this working. I ended up using the original strap and then had to modify (bend an angle in it) in the vise for the Horn to mount where they say it should go. Just an FYI.

Oh, BTW just so you guys know. The Horn Kit Picture shows a push button, which I assume goes in the knock-out hole on the left side of the stearing wheel. However upon opening the kit tonight it came with a Rocker Switch that went in one of the rectangle knock-outs on the Panel. This is okay as there are several however I have all mine filled up now and I have nowhere to put another switch. There is no way I can get the Long Range Light Kit. I have 4x4, Horn, Main Lights, Adventure Lights and Hazards. I guess JD thinks you will get the Adventure or Long Range. Or maybe they assume that if you want all the off road options you won't want the Turns/Hazards. Who knows. I just wish they would have used the hole on the left and left me the option for another light kit.

Deputy347k9
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Cool! I also want to install the horn kit on my 825i, how long did it take for the install and can you hear the horn from a fair distance?

jonny2guns4u
04-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Cool! I also want to install the horn kit on my 825i, how long did it take for the install and can you hear the horn from a fair distance?

About 10-15 Minutes and it's pretty loud!

I got the Horn because the cows are use to the Gator being in the pasture now and they will just stand there without a little nudge of some sort. In the past I had to install horns on both my quads for the exact same reason.

The Gator is GREAT for Fence Mending, Retrieving a Calf or just general browsing of the Heard. However for driving the cattle up to the barn or cutting calves from the heard the quad is much more manuverable. I would guess a horse would be even better but I don't have one of those.

gatorxuv620i
04-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey if you don't like not having any more spaces for extra stuff like lights:cool: you could always order a push button for the horn for the older 620i model. It will work then you can have an extra space.:Thmup: Just thought id throw that thought out there.

jonny2guns4u
04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey if you don't like not having any more spaces for extra stuff like lights:cool: you could always order a push button for the horn for the older 620i model. It will work then you can have an extra space.:Thmup: Just thought id throw that thought out there.

Yeah, I thought of that but I think it's a shame that they sent the Rocker type when the Knock-Out is there for the Push-Button type. Just a way to sell more parts I guess.

purplewg
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I just ordered an air horn for mine. As soon as I finish my radio/speaker installation write up I will do a horn one.

GATORDONE
04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Horn from salvage yard $3.00, Push button switch from auto store $6.50, wiring supplies $2-3.00 and you can get about any horn you want.

dieselsmith
04-20-2011, 04:41 PM
How much is the horn kit from JD?

Deputy347k9
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
$85.00 clams!

jonny2guns4u
04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
TOO MUCH $85!

But I have to say JD makes rugged stuff. I love thier Wiring Harnesses. They always add a pigtail to add additional stuff later.

gatorman
04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I installed my horn kit yesterday. I did not have a problem using the long strap. The horn fit with no room to spare (less than 1/16 of an inch on each side). I have allready ran out of room on my dash and don't have anywhere to put the horn switch that they sent. I have the 4X4 switch, headlights, long range lights. adventure lights, and the hazard switch. I looked at cutting the small hole to the left of the sterring wheel out big enough so the switch that they sent would fit but there is a round metal bar behind the dash which is right in the way. I looked at the old 620i horn switch but I dont think it is fair to pay $24.50 for it after just dropping $85.00 for the kit. If they would have just sent the switch that is pictured with the kit we would not be having this problem.

Help

jonny2guns4u
04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I installed my horn kit yesterday. I did not have a problem using the long strap. The horn fit with no room to spare (less than 1/16 of an inch on each side). I have allready ran out of room on my dash and don't have anywhere to put the horn switch that they sent. I have the 4X4 switch, headlights, long range lights. adventure lights, and the hazard switch. I looked at cutting the small hole to the left of the sterring wheel out big enough so the switch that they sent would fit but there is a round metal bar behind the dash which is right in the way. I looked at the old 620i horn switch but I dont think it is fair to pay $24.50 for it after just dropping $85.00 for the kit. If they would have just sent the switch that is pictured with the kit we would not be having this problem.

Help

Can you take some pics so I can see how you mounted it. As you can see in my pic I used the shorter one that came on the horn and bent it so the horn would sit vertical to the ground.

trainman
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
This is the horn that I use on my motorcycle and used by motorcycle riders around the world. It's so loud I even dislike using it when riding the bike, but it will get other attention right quick, Stebel.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS385US390&q=stebel+horn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15026461310530614652&sa=X&ei=V8-2TYyzDoKftweWvZCcAQ&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAg#

John

purplewg
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey, that is what I ordered for mine. lol Should be here today but I gotta work on a bike when I get home and not the Gator.

CaptDan
04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
is it necessary to get the $20.00 installation kit with the relay ?

trainman
04-27-2011, 09:44 AM
CaptDan, if you are talking about the Stebel Horn, I'm not sure because I just replaced the horn on my BMW GS with this horn and all worked fine. I'm pretty sure that horns should have a relay, but it slips my mind as why, I think it has to do with the horn button and burning the contacts out in the button. You could just order the Horn Wiring Harness from JD and use whatever horn you wish, don't know the harness price, maybe high.

John

purplewg
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Sort of like fogs lights. You don't really want all that current running up through your dash. The relay allows you to use minimal current to turn the relay on which will draw the larger current needed to power lights or larger horns. You can buy just the relay at auto parts stores for around $5-$6 but ya still gotta have wire and connectors. $20 for the kit doesn't sound too bad.

purplewg
04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Ok I got my horn. Looked around a little bit to see where I might mount it. I didn't really see a good place yet. My horn came with the relay. It didn't say that when I ordered but it did. No wires. Just the horn and relay.

trainman
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Let us know what you think of it when you get it installed.

John

purplewg
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I plugged it into a car battery the other day. It is plenty loud. I think my cows will hear it. lol I haven't had a chance to find a place to mount it on the Gator yet but I am getting ready to order the Chrome version to put on my bike now. Where does the Deere horn get mounted on these things?

I got the Wolo horn. I thought I had gotten the Stebel horn. They look almost identical to me. OH, and mine did come with the relay but no wiring. I will just go to Advance Auto and get a small push button momentary switch for a horn button.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Black-Design/dp/B000F5DQWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304079648&sr=8-1

purplewg
05-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Ok, I finally got the Wolo Bad Boy horn all hooked up and working. I had a bit of a problem trying to determine where I was going to mount it. I ended up mounting it to the back side of the plastic cover on the front. The one that runs down both sides of the radiator. I was able to get it up some and hopefully it is better protected there from water than any other place I could find. Mounted the relay to one of the many holes in the firewall. I didn't realize how many holes are in the firewall. I got my Goop out and plugged them. Just another place for water/mud to get in the cab or splashed up behind the dash panel. Why did they leave so many holes in that area? Anyhow the horn is plenty loud. Annoyingly loud but the cows won't mind much.

jonny2guns4u
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Pics, pics, pics!

purplewg
05-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Pics, pics, pics!

There isn't much to show or I would have. The horn is hidden. I put all the wiring in black wire loom like Deere did. About the only thing you can see is the big ugly horn button mounted in the middle of the lower part of the dash. As soon as I find I a better momentary switch I will get rid of the big ugly one.

jonny2guns4u
05-03-2011, 02:29 PM
But like I said in an earlier post. We are men... We are visual beings. A woman can read a Romance Novel and get all hot and bothered. We men need Pics to get the full effect...lol Heck, just a pic of the switch would have been sufficiant...lol

gatorman
05-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Can you take some pics so I can see how you mounted it. As you can see in my pic I used the shorter one that came on the horn and bent it so the horn would sit vertical to the ground.

Sorry for the delay in this reply. Between 12 hour shifts, part time job, and spring cleaning/ yard work it don't leave me a lot of time to do the inportant stuff. :lol: Well here are the pictures you requested. Don't know if you can tell a lot from the picture but I can assure you it is a tight fit for the horn. I went back to my dealer and showed them the pictures of the horn kit with the round push button switch. While talking to the salesman he said let me see I think I have a old horn kit that someone never picked up. He found a old horn kit dated 2002 ,opened it up, and guess what, a round swith just like I needed. It worked fine I just had to drill the small square hole out to 5/8". I guess I am finished with my gator for now. It came in but none of the accessories I ordered came in. Insted of letting it set at the dealership, I went and got it, and put all the accessories on myself as they came in.

roughinmill
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry for the delay in this reply. Between 12 hour shifts, part time job, and spring cleaning/ yard work it don't leave me a lot of time to do the inportant stuff. :lol: Well here are the pictures you requested. Don't know if you can tell a lot from the picture but I can assure you it is a tight fit for the horn. I went back to my dealer and showed them the pictures of the horn kit with the round push button switch. While talking to the salesman he said let me see I think I have a old horn kit that someone never picked up. He found a old horn kit dated 2002 ,opened it up, and guess what, a round swith just like I needed. It worked fine I just had to drill the small square hole out to 5/8". I guess I am finished with my gator for now. It came in but none of the accessories I ordered came in. Insted of letting it set at the dealership, I went and got it, and put all the accessories on myself as they came in.

Wow :hsu: Nice machine I love all the lights, are the off road lights 6" ? They look great I just did'nt think they would fit. What part of Alabama are you in? I live just North of Bankhead National Forest in the edge of lawrence county. Great looking machine and thanks for the pics. :Thmup: I am patiently waiting for mine :TT: but i'm not very good. :Wlys:

gatorman
05-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow :hsu: Nice machine I love all the lights, are the off road lights 6" ? They look great I just did'nt think they would fit. What part of Alabama are you in? I live just North of Bankhead National Forest in the edge of lawrence county. Great looking machine and thanks for the pics. :Thmup: I am patiently waiting for mine :TT: but i'm not very good. :Wlys:

They are the warn lights that were included with the outdoors package. I think they are 6". I read here that they were discontinued and were going to replaced with another type. I am dead smack in the middle of the state of Alabama in Chilton County right off I-65. Keep waiting patiently, I can assure it will be worth the wait.

Gator_Racer
05-09-2011, 12:58 AM
i know most of you guys are looking at JD accessories there are a lot more choices out there for horns lighting and so on.

for lighting the technology that deere is selling is from warn they are about 15 years behind the lighting market has far surpassed what is offered there are HID and LED that draw next to nothing on the altenator and the prices have come down a ton

as for running out of pre cut holes that is not a big deal either there is really nothing behind the dash you have room for what ever you like

Blueberries
05-09-2011, 01:42 AM
They always add a pigtail to add additional stuff later.

trainman
05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Gator_Racer, I'm looking for lights for my roll bar, two to the front and two to the rear on separate circuits. I want round in the 2-3 inch size, what do you recommend in HID and LED, thanks, John

gatorman
05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
:Wlys:
i know most of you guys are looking at JD accessories there are a lot more choices out there for horns lighting and so on.

for lighting the technology that deere is selling is from warn they are about 15 years behind the lighting market has far surpassed what is offered there are HID and LED that draw next to nothing on the altenator and the prices have come down a ton

as for running out of pre cut holes that is not a big deal either there is really nothing behind the dash you have room for what ever you like

I got the warn lights because they were included in the outdoorsman package when I ordered my gator. I guess I got the rest of them simply because of the convenience of them. The included mounting brackets, wiring harness, and easy install. I am not much of a fabricator when it comes to that stuff. I don't have the time or the patiences.:Wlys: Maybe when some of the bulbs blow in them I will see if they offer any HID or LED bulbs that will fit them.

Blueberries
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
I love thier Wiring Harnesses. They always add a pigtail to add additional stuff later.

CaptDan
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I installed the air horn from Amazon, with a $9.99 switch from auto-zone. It's a great fit, loud & manly like the machine ! if I knew how to post pictures I would.

Dan

825joe
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
put the pics on photobucket and copy the url then paste it bud.

CaptDan
06-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I installed the Stebel compact air horn, was an easy install, nice and loud for sure. I bought it thru Amazon, but it was shipped from Biker Highway in Van Nuys, Ca. I mention this, and hope I am allowed to, because the first horn I received malfunctioned, I contacted Biker Highway by telephone and they did not even wait until they received the defective horn they immediately shipped out a new horn and told me not to be concerned, just throw the defective horn in the trash. Great people to deal with, great customer service.

Woodtick
04-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Do you have pics? i just ordered that same horn.

Woodtick
04-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I just ordered a Stebel compact air horn on Amazon and was wondering if any one had pics for the install on the gator?