PDA

View Full Version : 825i Winch - Steel vs Synthetic

CCGATOR
04-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I will be buying a winch for my 825i. I will not pay $699 for the 3,000 lb Warn JD winch option. Looking at the On-Line Web sites, I notice that there are (2) Warn 3,000 lb winches available. The RT30 ATV winch (Steel Cable), and the XT30 ATV winch (Synthetic Cable) for hundreds less than the JD price. However the Synthetic winch is more expensive that the Steel cable winch, so I assume it?s better all around. The two sites I am looking at are:

http://www.gowarn.com/shoppingcart.aspx

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/order.aspx

Does anyone have experience, Steel vs Synthetic that will help me make my decision?

purplewg
04-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Warn IMHO makes the best winch on the market today. I think they are over priced though and more so through Deere. There is a good thread here on Winch install and what some of the guys are using. When I get around to it I will go with what fits, has a permanent magnet motor, and is the best value. I have a 9500 pound Warn on my Jeep that I was lucky enough to snag off ebay years ago for $600 ($1200 new at the time). I run steel cable but many swear by the synthetic cable. I am cost sensitive and figure I only use it once in a great while so I will deal with the steel cable being a little stiffer and if it gets a little fray on it, I will put on gloves.

825joe
04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Wire for the rough stuff like rocks and such. Syn rope for your everyday stuff. Plowing etc... I agree warn makes the best winch out there, but like purplewg said they are overpriced. So far I have had great luck with my superwinch's Sealed units and use all metal planetary gears with the permanent magnet motor's. For a vehicle like a jeep. I would spend the extra $$ for the piece of mind.

825joe
04-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I have also had syn rope on a viper a few years ago. Loved it but when it snagged a couple sharp rocks, it frayed. They make protective sleeves that go over it so it slides through but its tricky sometimes.

purplewg
04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I have also had syn rope on a viper a few years ago. Loved it but when it snagged a couple sharp rocks, it frayed. They make protective sleeves that go over it so it slides through but its tricky sometimes.

Good point Joe. I never considered the fray factor. Then again I never had a syn rope. lol

Zephyr74
04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I will be buying a winch for my 825i. I will not pay $699 for the 3,000 lb Warn JD winch option. Looking at the On-Line Web sites, I notice that there are (2) Warn 3,000 lb winches available. The RT30 ATV winch (Steel Cable), and the XT30 ATV winch (Synthetic Cable) for hundreds less than the JD price. However the Synthetic winch is more expensive that the Steel cable winch, so I assume it’s better all around. The two sites I am looking at are:

http://www.gowarn.com/shoppingcart.aspx

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/order.aspx

Does anyone have experience, Steel vs Synthetic that will help me make my decision?

People on here are saying the XT/RT 30 winch is undersized for the weight of the Gator. I spoke with the engineers at Warn directly who stated with proper technique and using a block the 30 is plenty of winch. BUT they also stated that they were not spec'ing Gators with the 40's (4000lbs winch) because of the small batteries and alternators that the Gators had. I told them the size of the 2011 825i's battery and alternator and they said they had not been made aware from JD yet of their change to a beefier batt/alt, they were still using specs off the older 620's. They said the 2011 825i Gator now can electrically support the 40's. However, JD and Warn haven't spoken directly to work on making a mounting plate for the 40 (they have a plate made for the 30). I am either going to go with the XT 30 or if the XT40 will fit, I will go with the XT40. I measured the 40 and it appears like it will fit but I need to make sure it will fit with a mounting plate first. I am sold on going with a Warn, I have a Warn XT 25 on my ATV and love it. Syn cable IMHO is the way to go., plus its easier to work with. I like the idea that the XT not only comes with synthetic cable but comes with a wireless remote (safer to use standing at one side). I put a lot of research into various winches, however I have yet to research into the Superwinch. It might be a good option as well.

CCGATOR
04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Zephyr74, thanks for that research, I will take that advice.

825joe, never saw that sleeve advertised. What is it made of and do you use it only at the cable work area. I don't think it would wind back into the winch without causing a mess.

825joe
04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
No ...it spools on the winch without binding. It is usually sold with the Amsteel blue syn rope and I know warn has them too. Not sure if the are available to purchase seperate. It is basically a canvas or nylon sleeve that can be rested on a hill for example with out draging the rope accross rocks and sharp objects. Its usually about 4 feet long or so.