PDA

View Full Version : no holding back

ridgerunner3
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
:Hrpll:I think that the gator 825i should be recalled because it will not hold back going downhill on rough, steep terrain. That is dangerous . Nobody told us about this. And I don't like suprises but I got one anyway:OhNoes:

WOEII
05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
ridgerunner3,

Welcome to the forum! :Chers: :cool:
Many people are intimidated by the free wheeling the Gator gets at low to idle RPM's. It takes a little practice but either in Low or High as long as you keep the RPM's bubbled up some the clutch stays engaged without adding speed. She acts just like a jake brake and once you get it down pat you would not even know any different. Different toys got different learning curves. :Thmup:

hadkins2
05-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Agreed. It takes some practice and seems so wrong to hit the gas to slow down, but it works. I rarely use the brakes on downhills with my diesel 6x4.

825joe
05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
don't buy a polaris then they all do that. lol.

trainman
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
If you install a Revloc or Rekluse clutch in your motorcycle it works the same way, but much harder to get the hang of it, you have a rpm minimum that needs to be maintained to keep the clutch hooked up, most set theirs around 1300 rpm or so depending on their riding style.

GATORDONE
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
:Hrpll:I think that the gator 825i should be recalled because it will not hold back going downhill on rough, steep terrain. That is dangerous . Nobody told us about this. And I don't like suprises but I got one anyway:OhNoes:
All gators do this, not just the 825i

825joe
05-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I took my gator through the woods making a new shooting lane up at the farm the other day. All I can say is WOW. Low range rock crawling this thing is unstopable and i didn't bottom out once picking good lanes of approach each time.

purplewg
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I took my gator through the woods making a new shooting lane up at the farm the other day. All I can say is WOW. Low range rock crawling this thing is unstopable and i didn't bottom out once picking good lanes of approach each time.

My garage queen is no garage queen anymore. I hauled her to the farm and used her most of Sat spraying fence lines. Sunday she hauled field fencing, barbed wire, posts, post hole diggers, and the dog. Gotta change the oil now and get Jonny some pictures. lololololol

825joe
05-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Nice! I have been having some fun in the 825i. The more I drive it off road the more impressed I get. Love this thing. Haulled 10 50lb bags of chicken feed around and It was a breeze.

Deputy347k9
05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Before the 825i we had a small Gator CS, it served it's purpose but that machine would also creep if you did not stay on the brakes. Anyways, like purplewg I have been working the heck out of the machine, or I should say the new 825i is saving me so much time. Finished fencing, some well work, installing new barn doors, hauling feed, fertilizer and so much more. Sort of like having your first microwave oven, you asked your self how in God's name did you ever live without it. I just built a new tool box for the girl, if course I carved in "John Deere 825i and then painted the box green and yellow! Love it!

ridgerunner3
05-11-2011, 08:05 PM
:BG::Drvby:
ridgerunner3,

Welcome to the forum! :Chers: :cool:
Many people are intimidated by the free wheeling the Gator gets at low to idle RPM's. It takes a little practice but either in Low or High as long as you keep the RPM's bubbled up some the clutch stays engaged without adding speed. She acts just like a jake brake and once you get it down pat you would not even know any different. Different toys got different learning curves. :Thmup:

Well I took her out again and tried what you said and i did find it to be better. Gonna keep on practicing. Thanks for the imput.

Off Road ResQ
05-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Great! You are beginning to understand how a CVT driveline works. If you don't keep the revs up, you go into "free wheeling" and then things begin to really get exciting when going down hill! Check with your local Deere dealer for more information on how to avoid the problem. Ninty-five percent of the time I am towing a trailer. If I didn't learn to use a CVT, someone else would be scraping me up with a coal shovel at the bottom of the mountain!
http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/47459/2613461500099684271S600x600Q85.jpg (http://news.webshots.com/photo/2613461500099684271iMttjg)

Good luck!
http://www.EEResQ.com/id19.html

shelliejt
05-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Deputy,
Love your insight, comparing the 825i to a microwave oven! So true- How did we ever live without it! Life on the farm is so much easier now that I have my gator :)