PDA

View Full Version : My Gator 825i overheats!!!

shelliejt
05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I purchased a new Gator 825i in November and I've had it to the shop 3 times now due to overheating. They keep telling me that they put in a new module? But it's in the shop again now. I want John Deere to contact me and let me know why it's overheating and why our JD dealership can't fix it. I'm going on a trip to colorado with it and I don't want to be left behind due to a lemon of a Gator. If they can fix this problem, I would LOVE my gator 4x4!

greenmachine
06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
is it just the bar gauge on the dash that saying it hot or is your light coming one??? i having that probem my self. the bar going to hot but light not coming on. i did test and the machine is not over heating. that bar gauge is off specs,and water moving foine and not hot spots in lines, and fan working so gauge is on on mine.

fire gator
06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
is cooling fan running?

jonny2guns4u
06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
I had a similar problem. Ended up being a 30 amp fuse.

GatorMover
07-01-2011, 02:50 PM
We've sold a bunch of 825's and I have not heard of this. In fact, I can say we've not had a single issue with anything so far- which is scary strange for a first year machine with so many changes. Well- let me take that back- Driveline noise for the front drive- They need an iso mount for that pillowblock bearing. That would eliminate a lot of noise alone. But this driveline noise has been an issue since the XUV came out.

jdman
07-03-2011, 04:37 PM
i had same issue with mine asked dealer bout it they looked it up on computer with John Deere they said check ground wire for fan and/or temp guage my ground wire was attached with bolt on top of radiator bracket. took bolt and bracket off then took paint off where the wire could get good contact to the frame. fixed mine works fine now

greenmachine
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
jd has a dtac case on the ground wire need to be cut and move because fan drawing too make amps coolant sensor ground causing it to flux a wait. If that dont fix it the say replace coolant sensor. jdman is right.

purplewg
07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Please explain what "flux a wait" means. One more thing, what is a "dtac case"?

825joe
07-07-2011, 06:08 AM
I think he meant fluctuate

purplewg
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I think he meant fluctuate

Oh ok. I wonder what happened to shelliejt we haven't heard if it got fixed or what the solution was. See my post in Off Topic on this.:BG:

Ok Joe, now tell me what dtac case is. :lol:

825joe
07-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Ya got me on that one LOL!!!

GATORDONE
07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Please explain what "flux a wait" means. One more thing, what is a "dtac case"?
Dtac case is a j.d. bulliton that is sent out to the service dept at the dealership explaning a potential problem on a piece of equipment.

825joe
07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
where can I find some Flux a wait........:lol:

purplewg
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Ah yes, you learn something new every day.....lol

RON IMI
07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Dtac is deere tech assist line for dealer use only dealers put in service question request and is sent to factory for further assitance. As a service manger for a deer dealer and also an 825i owner i'll try to answer questions put on this forum as i have time to help out other owners

825joe
07-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Nice!!! Welcome RON IMI

JET
11-26-2011, 11:46 PM
I plan on taking my gator to Colorado too. What is required from the state of Colorado to ride on the jeep trails in the national parks?

wiedes22
12-03-2011, 10:03 PM
This just started with mine now. I purchased it brand new in May 2011. I live not even a mile away from the farm and before I can get there the fan kicks on and several times throughout chores also. I checked the antifreeze when this all first started happening and it was out, so I put in more. The fan didn't kick on for about a day and now it's doing it again. I don't understand how it could have been out of antifreeze when i've only had it 7 mos and never noticed a leak. This isn't the only problem, there have been wire issues, heater issues, along with fuses blowing alot, brake problems, and a few other minor things. For what I paid for this machine I expected better. I can't stand the thought of sending it back to the shop AGAIN! grrrr! Thankfully it's under warranty. Hopefully they can get all the kinks out of it before it runs out!

dalepep
02-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Ron, when I start my 2011 825i's the radiator fan kicks in and the high temp light flashes along with the check engine light (service indicator light). I know it is not overheating, it has been sitting in a cold storage building! My dealer did replace the coolant sensor once and about a month later the same problem occurred. If I let the machine idle for 5 -10 minutes the light goes off and it runs fine. If I try to run the machine with the light on, it spits and sputters and nearly dies. Any insight?

airbournein2001
03-02-2012, 06:21 AM
to dalepep, you sound just like me. My gator was bought in June of 2011 and does the exact same thing. I took it in 3 times with no luck. I completed the grounding wire change myself, as the dealership could not find time to do it. "could not reproduce problem in shop" were the words I kept hearing. However, the machine has "self healed" itself and not acted up in about two months. I'm sure it will do it again before too long. If the warranty is out by then, I will start one large fight to get it honored. The dealership was supposed to have some sort of code reader or diagnostic machine sent down from somewhere to troubleshoot. however, every time I take it in, the problem miraculously disappears. So frustrating!

dalepep
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks airbournein, My dealer said I need to bring it in again to test it, this is frustrating! I wish the dealer would contact Deere to see if there are additional complaints

dalepep
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I think they may have solved my temp sender problem. I had it in the shop, they tested the temp sender and that was ok. they cleaned the terminals on it and the problem persisted. They changed the fan belt and it still acted up, finally they put a new thermostat in and the problem went away. I have run it for a few hours now and everything seems good. I don't understand how a mechanical thermostat solved an electrical problem but I don't really care as long as it is working!

Deputy347k9
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
adlepep, we are all hoping this solves the problem. One good thing about this crazy situation is this post will now be in the archinves for all to see. Someday, someone will have the same problem. They will be able to read this thread and no doubt save a bunch of time. Please keep us updated as you get a few more miles and hours on the machine.

Colder then heck here in Maine so my machine is in the heated garage, she likes that! She is all polished and ready to go. With no full cab system or heater winter can be a bugger.

Larry in ME

Regulator
03-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Dalepep...look at it this way...the new thermostat didn't fix your electrical problem...the thermostat was bad so it caused your machine to go into a kinda "safe mode" where it will spit and sputter enough for you to not be able run your machine and do damage to the engine any worse until you correct the problem...once the new thermostat was installed, the engine didn't have to use those electrical "warnings" anymore...I'm pretty sure I read on here somewhere that this is what those engines will do it there is a problem, like low oil pressure, high water temp's, and such...simply saying that if there wasn't a mechanical problem, there wouldn't have been an electrical problem....keep us posted as to how the fix works out...as Larry in ME said, it's a good one to have archived in case it happens to someone else down the road...:FX:

Larry in ME...last week, the wife and I had to turn the Air Conditioning on in the house because it got in the high 70's...it's sad really because when we were younger, it couldn't get too hot for us...now, we are miserable when it gets above 75 degree's!!!....I keep telling my wife that I have a buddy up in Maine who has a nice Farm for sale where we wouldn't have to worry about having to run the air conditioner 8 months out of the year!!!...hahaha!!!...she's not going for that though...just a tad bit too much winter for her...I look at it like there would be plenty of time and space to play in the snow with the Gator!!!

Oh well...this week it's been in the high 50's and low 60's so far and has been pretty cold at night...our little blast of early Summer ended pretty quick!!!....

Larry in MD :Jestr:

shelliejt
06-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I apologize for leaving... Found my way back now! John Deere did get my 825i overheating problem fixed last fall. It was not actually overheating, but the bars showed that it was. The fan would kick on, but no light came one. JD said that it wasn't Actually overheating, as Green Machine said above. It was a ground issue. I just traded my 825i this week and ordered the new one with power steering! I can't wait for July 16th when it arrives! I've bookmarked this forum so I don't lose it again.

Dennisdal
04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Ron, can you tell me exactly where that ground wire is you refer to in the Dtac?

Dlauffenburger
12-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Ron, can you tell me exactly where that ground wire is you refer to in the Dtac?

Anybody ever get an answer on which ground lug needs to be relocated?

campoman
06-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Try checking the actual engine temp with a thermometer in the radiator remove cap with engine cold run engine and compare engine temp to guage on dash , also check all grounds and ,is elec fan coming on ?

hillbillybubba
06-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Try checking the actual engine temp with a thermometer in the radiator remove cap with engine cold run engine and compare engine temp to guage on dash , also check all grounds and ,is elec fan coming on ?

This is several years old now... doubt you'll get an answer.