PDA

View Full Version : hello from WNY

ajo771
05-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello. My name is AJ and I have been a ATV enthusiast for the past 25 years. However, I havent been out on the trails for the last 5 years, and am looking at getting rid of my ATV's for a UTV for around the yard. Upon looking I see not all UTV, or more specifically, not all gators are equal.

I have found a 2003 4x2 gator with a plow, but upon further investigation I have developed some concerns. I was surprised to find out is is only 9-10 hp, and only does 15 mph. While this alone does not bother me, I am concerned it will not do the work I want to do with it. First I have a wet hilly property that robs power. I currently have a scag mower with a 27 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki engine that will bog down on my property (even without the mower deck engaged). So my concern will 9 hp be enough? I plan to tow a commercial aerator and a 200 gal spray tank with the gator. I know gearing, torque, etc all will change the way HP will work for me. Thats why I havent assumed it wont work for me. Any input anyone?

Also, what is a 2003 4x2 gator w 1136 hours and a plow worth?

If this is the wrong Gator for me, which model should I be looking at?

Thank,

AJ

Deputy347k9
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
AJ welcome to the Forum, you will find a bunch of great people here that are more then willing to help out. Now, as far as what Gator you need is going to depend on how much you want to spend. You will notice many of the members here are owners of the new 825i. Newest machine from John Deere, 4X4 putting out 50 hp. This machine will do everything you want and more! The cost is up there but well worth the money spent. I use mine on our farm here in Maine, would be lost without it.

Larry

WOEII
05-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the forum AJ! :Chers: :cool:

purplewg
05-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Welcome AJ. Value of the 4x2 with plow depends a lot on condition. Kind of hard without a pic. I am not a snow plow expert anyway. Don't plow much snow down here. Value of the Gator itself sometimes depends on the area also. My opinion is you would be far better off with something more powerful for plowing and I would also recommend 4x4.

825joe
05-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Welcome AJ!

CaptDan
05-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the forum from new jersey

I would think that particular gator might not be the item for you. The published towing capacity for the new 825i Gator with the 50hp engine is 1500 pounds. I don't know the towing capacity the model you are looking at with the 10 hp engine but I would make a SWAG (silly wild a** guess) that it is less than 1500 pounds. Most liquids weigh in at around 8 pounds per gallon, water is 8.35 per gallon, 200 gallons weigh 1670 pounds, so a commercial aerator and a 200 gal spray tank would be way over the published towing capacity of even the newest Gator with the 50 hp engine.