PDA

View Full Version : Trans axle seal

Mud Duk
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I noticed the other day that i had a puddle of oil under the gator in the drive way. So i washed it up real good and let it sit to find the culprit. Looks to me like the seal on the passenger side of the transaxle where the axle comes out. I called and ordered the seal $7. My question is does any one know if this requires splitting the axle housing or can i pull seal off from outside by sliding off axle and just slipping the new one back on and re seating it?

GATORDONE
06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
You can remove the seal over the axle shaft if you have a screw style seal remover, Make sure the new seal is seated in housing square at a depth of 3mm. Check the axle shaft for signs of grooving from the seal, If so the transaxle will have to be removed to get the shaft out.

Mud Duk
06-21-2011, 08:03 AM
This was a piece of cake! I did it in about a half hour. Thanks for the advice it saved me the worry of haveing to spilt the axle. My gator only has 190 hours on it i think i wrecked the seal from pressure washing the engine compartment after mudding with it. And no i wont be pressure washing that anymore. I didnt have the screw style seal remover i used a thin flat blade screwdriver and slowly worked it out and the cleaned the shaft and where the seal seats. slid the new one on and seated it to the 3 mm. works great. Thanks again!

GATORDONE
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Glad it worked for you.