PDA

View Full Version : Oil Specs and other questions.

CRASH
06-16-2011, 06:16 PM
So I was given a 1998 6X4 gator that was a rental unit by a neighbor. I live on 5 acres of redwoods in the mountains and can use this for moving wood around and to haul things. My neighbor had his "restored" to show room condition. Down to fresh paint and stickers ... not what I plan at all. Mad Max will probably be proud of what mine will look like when I am done. It is a utility vehicle, not a Porsche.

This one has 1800 hours and "well used". I took it figuring worst case if it is not worth fixing, I could part what is left out. Plastics are pretty beat up (the plastic that is left). Tires are all flat - lots of tread but many holes. Stator is fried. Dirty dirty dirty and so on.

So I decided, if I can make it run, I will spend some time and money on it. Cleaned it up decently, put the flywheel back on less stator, greased up the drive axles, new oil and filter in the engine, checked the valves, fresh gas and it fired up fine. Made some very nasty noises at idle that I assumed was the clutch. Stopped it grabbed the clutch and moved it back and forth. Didn't feel anything out of the ordinary .. fired it up again ... sound gone. So it seems like it is worth working on. I will get a new stator and clean it up much better, pull all the broken plastics off. Run it for a while and change the oil again - it sat for 5 years so I would like to flush any gunk out of it. I will put in new plugs and lube up the chains. Then I need to sort out tires so I can drive it around and make sure it is worth a complete rebuild.

Things I need to figure out now are:

What is oil spec and volume for the trans? I can find nothing on it. I know some industrial gear boxes use 20/50 - but I want to now what I should put in this. Have not found a drain lug, but I think it may still be covered in mud caked between the housing and the frame.

Tires - what about inner tubes? Anyone have experience here? I would like to get this thing rolling as cheaply as possible before to fully evaluate before I drop $450+ into tires on it. Tread has enough life to get me around while I get everything else sorted on it. I have a tire machine for my motorcycle tires, so I am sure I can deal with a tube insert no problem.

How do I check drive belt? Seems to run to the very top of the clutch when I rev the engine up ... should it go all the way up?

Any sources for good deals on used parts?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

jeffy dalmer
06-20-2011, 03:54 AM
use only JD-20 HYGARD,, 4.8 to 5 liters, check with dip stick on top of trans axle.