PDA

View Full Version : Latest addition

purplewg
07-08-2011, 01:01 PM
For my birthday I received two pairs of these. I mounted one set on the rear roll bars to carry post hole diggers or a shovel depending on what I need. The other set I mounted on the top bars of the bed to carry a rifle. Seem to be really well made. They offer quite a few so if you want them make sure you get the roll bar attaching ones. These are Kolpin and come with a rubber strap to make sure something doesn't bounce out. Rhino Grip XL UTV Mount
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/te2WN8hFSptPqx_UEcB7HfQH41ILXStgpFMCVuzzy6qoUxjxmW NiIlRSxqMNKnUO4uECfTyrTc1MT6ecCudl6T9NLmztbin9sAe-jBQY2obvcMUPT9Y2MPAXAuvw8CZt7WOQmFYoNwGd3B034rcCPt arrS4xWCIZH4tCniw5DQ

trainman
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I have the John Deere accessory ones (made by Kolpin) and they are great, you can see them pictured in the Gator Utility Vehicles flyer at the dealer. The JD ones have a mounting plate that mounts the same as yours does, you can also remove the clamp part from the base by rotating it a 1/4 turn, this lets you turn the clamp either for across the bed or lengthways along the bed to carry tools in either direction. I'm going to order another set so I can carry items in both directions, note, you can just order another set of mounting brackets and use just one set to clamps it you wish, less than $20 from Kolpin for just the brackets. Here is Kolpin website, http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/dirtworks-series/atv-3-point-system.html?vmcchk=1

Picture of JD type from Kolpin http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/utility-grips-presses/grips/gear-grips.html Note, brackets included for this price, extra brackets sold under replacement parts.

John-purplewg, nice birthday present

purplewg
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I am pretty tickled with them. I carry a really old 35 Rem Jet lever and this makes it really easy. You have a good idea about a set on the other side of the bed. These will turn easily to face across the bed with a quick snap unlock. If I got another set I could carry the diggers, shovel, and rifle at the same time. Then again that just means I can work harder. lol

Zephyr74
07-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Can you guys post pictures of these clamps on your Gators so I can see the difference in the styles out there? Thanks

Deputy347k9
07-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I really like the idea of the Koplin grips, however, I'a having a difficult time deciding which ones are best suited for my needs. The wife and I go metal detecting quite often, moving from one location to another we mucst break down the detectors and put them back into the cases. These grips would be great mounted on the sides of the Gator bed.

It appears to me that Purplewg has the "Rhino Grip XL UTV Flexible Grips, #21535 @ $34.49 for a pair.

Trainman seems to have model number #20085 which has the ratchet style system @ $48.95.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea as to which set would be better used for holding a metal detector?

2. The above mentioned two system, does both come complete with mounting basis?

3. Purplewg, did yours come with the rubber holding straps or was they ordered extra?

I thank both Purplewg and Trainman for this post as both systems seem to be an great and useful addition.

Larry

trainman
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
The JD accessory clamps ( or Kolpin ) will close all the way and hold what you put in them tight, I think a metal detector would work in the clamps just fine, I do carry the Echo Brush cutter in mine with no problem. One note here is that I have two sets of clamps so I can carry the brush cutter either side ways in the bed or front to rear, you could just have one set of clamps and buy and extra set of mounting brackets so you could have four clamps brackets and just move the clamps where you want to use them. From what you said you would probably be better off with two sets to carry all the items you would use for your metal detecting needs. Here is a pics of a Gator with the clamps on the bed. http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/series/HO_gator_t_series.html Yes, the JD clamp set with come with the mounting brackets and the clamps, if you want an extra set of brackets I would get them from Kolpin direct for less than $20, as far as I know from JD you would have to order through parts and would cost too much, piece by piece. Note, from the website click on Cargo Box.

John

purplewg
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Deputy, the ones got came with the straps. The way the holders are made I don't think they are required as the pretty much fishhook stuff in them but I use the straps just as additional security. The rubber straps came with mine. The units I got have brackets to clamp on to the bars on the side of the bed or to the roll bars. Will fit both and come with two different length bolts so you can bolt to the small side rail or the larger roll bar. I had to move my second set to the bed side rails as my post hole digger would not reach across the roll bars. I think either the ones trainman got or the ones I use will just fine for you.

Now I need another set to mount to the top/front of the bed for the rifle.

trainman
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Why is it on our Gators that whatever we need to add to it we have to buy two sets all the time?

John

Deputy347k9
07-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Purplewg, thanks for the reply, I am going to order two set, no since screwing around with one. Getting bad when I am planning what to order by months! Today I installed the horn kit, that took all of 15 minutes. Going to install the turn signals/4 way flashers, winch, 2 set of clamps and I hope that about does it. Well at least until you guys come up with more great ideas.

Larry

purplewg
07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Two will come in handy for sure. I am getting the third set for the rifle.

Zephyr74
07-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Two will come in handy for sure. I am getting the third set for the rifle.

Can you take some pictures and post them on here please......wondering how they look on the gator!
Thanks!

purplewg
07-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Can you take some pictures and post them on here please......wondering how they look on the gator!
Thanks!

Will do. I keep meaning to do it.

Deputy347k9
07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Yesterday I emailed my local John Deere dealership and order a deluxe turn signal/4 way harness as well as one set of clamps. I thought I would order only 1 set and test them with the metal detector. If all goes as expected I will then order at least two more set that I know I could use. Steve from Hall's John Deere in Windham, Maine replied this morner, on order! I believe this is going to be a fairly inexpensive investment for a quality product that can be used in many ways.

trainman
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
The dealer has to order the clamps in packages of 3 from JD so he will have 2 extras in stock for you to buy if you want them.

John

purplewg
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Pics are not very good but you kind of get the idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/purplewg/Gator/i84192536-AC33-48A1-B0D4-FC48164B8D.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/purplewg/Gator/iB6596B33-1BE4-4B14-A3C3-4393D7BB76.jpg

825joe
07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Great Idea!!!! Looks awsome! I have the gear grips that ratchet on my brute force. I like them but the ones you have are more sturdy.

Zephyr74
07-14-2011, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=purplewg;15434]Pics are not very good but you kind of get the idea.

Purplewg--thanks for the pictures!!! Nice clamps, I will look into buying those!

Deputy347k9
07-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Purplewg those look awesome!

Deputy347k9
07-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Today I finally made it over to the John Deere Dealership and picked up my latest parts, one set of Koplin Gear Grips (LP19883 $48.49 and the turn signal/four way harness. This evening I installed the grips and aligned them for the metal detector, nothing but GREAT. I will email the dealer this evening and order a second set. I am impressed with the.

Tomorrow I will install the harness. NEXT?

Larry

Deputy347k9
07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Yesterday I picked up the grips and turn signal harness. Installed the grips last evening, WOW! Those things work great, not sure how I lived without them. Just came in from installing the turn signals/4 way harness, plug and play. I must have used 15 zip ties just to make sure!

greg825i
07-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Yesterday I picked up the grips and turn signal harness. Installed the grips last evening, WOW! Those things work great, not sure how I lived without them. Just came in from installing the turn signals/4 way harness, plug and play. I must have used 15 zip ties just to make sure!

Deputy

How much was the 4 way harness?

thanks
greg

Deputy347k9
07-24-2011, 10:33 PM
The deluxe signal light kit (BM23764) for the 825i is $139.00. This is a plug and play harness! All I had to do was remove the two front pins for the front brush guard, loosen the two lower brush guard bolts and tilt the brush guard forward so I could open the hood. Pushed out the two plastic covers so to install the two switches, one for signals is left of the steering wheel and the 4 way flasher switch goes in the right side where the bank of switchs go. Installed the two new factory turn signal lights in the front and then started to install the harness which is really easy to figure out. Dirctions were not even needed. I found the turn signals and 4 way flashers are bright and easily seen day or night. I am very happy with this update to my 825i.

greg825i
07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
The deluxe signal light kit (BM23764) for the 825i is $139.00. This is a plug and play harness! All I had to do was remove the two front pins for the front brush guard, loosen the two lower brush guard bolts and tilt the brush guard forward so I could open the hood. Pushed out the two plastic covers so to install the two switches, one for signals is left of the steering wheel and the 4 way flasher switch goes in the right side where the bank of switchs go. Installed the two new factory turn signal lights in the front and then started to install the harness which is really easy to figure out. Dirctions were not even needed. I found the turn signals and 4 way flashers are bright and easily seen day or night. I am very happy with this update to my 825i.

Thanks again--sounds like I am about to spend more $$$. Does it ever end??

Deputy347k9
07-25-2011, 11:04 AM
It will only end when you trade the machine in for the next great model that has yet more power! I can only think of a few more things that I want to add, Warn XT40 winch, CVC plates, ops organizer and maybe a front hood rack? Not sold on the rack yet but leaning that way.

I also would like to find a nice mirror setup, one that would not vibrate when machine is in use. I would also like the mirror to fold in when needed.

Any ideas?

greg825i
07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
It will only end when you trade the machine in for the next great model that has yet more power! I can only think of a few more things that I want to add, Warn XT40 winch, CVC plates, ops organizer and maybe a front hood rack? Not sold on the rack yet but leaning that way.

I also would like to find a nice mirror setup, one that would not vibrate when machine is in use. I would also like the mirror to fold in when needed.

Any ideas?
These are the mirrors I got. They do fold and will stand up to the occasional branch. Not cheap but cheaper then JDs. I got them and worth the $$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHN-DEERE-GATOR-XUV-SIDE-VIEW-MIRROR-SET-HEAVY-DUTY-/280713492143?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415bd3f6af

Have the XT40 and got the organizer also on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360376431865

I'm on the fence on the front hood rack also. But before that I am thinking windshield and roof (diamondback)

Deputy347k9
07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
I also saw the same mirros on Ebay and was wondering about them, I thought th ecost was fair and I believe I will check a set out. I am not an exteme off road guy but when in tough terrain I am slow about it. Just need to see behind me at times. Thanks for the feedback on them too.

Come on guys, talk us two into the front hood rack! Why did you need it? Do you use it on a regular basis?

purplewg
07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Deputy, I made one out of emt and expanded metal. I need to get a pic and post it. I haven't had a chance to make the brackets yet to mount it but i can tell you why I want it. It will be really nice to put the chain saw, hammers, fence tools, and frequently used items there for easy access. I have wire, diggers, WATER, and other stuff in the back I am constantly digging through to get to something small under it. The front rack will be a nice addition in my world. I plan to make it easily removable when not needed.

Deputy347k9
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
You know I was just getting ready to email Steve at John Deere for my month option order. Was going to order the CVC skid plates today but I am going to change my mind (common thing) and order the front basket as your right I am hauling tools around and yet I fill the bed with produce then loose the tools.

The big thing around here is now CZAR loves to ride in the back of the Gator. He will not jump out if the tailgate is closed. If you leave the gate down when the machine is parked he will jump up there and look at you like, "what to hell, are we going for a ride". He's to big for the front basket!

Thanks Larry

greg825i
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
:Thmup:Thanks Larry. Unless you are getting a discount, EBay has a listing for the rack at list price including free shipping. Saves the sales tax which here is 8.75%.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220817518110&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

greg825i
07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Larry, found a dealer in Ohio who was selling the deluxe light set BM22677 for $250. Last one so its on the way. Still on the fence regarding rack or windshield. Do you have a windshield, if so which one?

Deputy347k9
07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I have the no scratch poly windshield. Yesterday I ordered the front rack fro John Deere, asked for a discount he stated he would not charge me freight. Oh well.

Though all the extras I have purchased are really nice, I use the bed clamps quite often. Going out to the fields with shoves and other tools is now much easier, nothing bouncing around. They hold great.

Good price on the light kit also.

missouri gator
07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Deputy, On your windshield when you close the bottom does it fit on the 2 pins tight? Mine with the bottom down is an inch from the pins if you push it down on
them it pops right off. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or how to fix it. Also any special way to clean this no scratch windshield?

Mark

purplewg
07-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I use Pledge on my motorcycle windshield to clean it. I assume it is probably the same stuff the "no scratch windshield" is made of.

BarnDoor
07-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Missouri, your whole windshield may have slid down. The gasket at the top should touch the roof.

Deputy347k9
07-28-2011, 07:18 AM
I have a good tight seal at the top and both pins alighn up. When I installed the windshield it did take me a few minutes to actually align the windshield so I did have a good seal. I had to keep adjusting the lower pins for alignment but finally got heer done.

Landscaper
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I just install the kolpin XL grips on my roll bar thats on the bed of the gator and so far so good!! the clamps work great and look great too!
highly recommend them!

Deputy347k9
08-30-2011, 07:13 AM
We were without power for about 25 hours due to Irene, massive damage to property, trees down, fruit trees torn from the ground and so on. At least when the power came on I had a message from the John Deere dealerhsip, my 4 CVC plates are in as well as more of the grips for the 825i and trailer. They also told me my starter is on back order and shows an arrival date of September 9th. Wouldn't you think they would have a number of those in stock?

CaptDan
08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry to hear about the damage from the storm, how about your new property in NC, how did that fare? I was thinking about you as I watched the TV coverage of the storm in North Carolina. I never thought about damage to your Maine property. Bottom line is you & family are safe, everything else is just "stuff".

Deputy347k9
08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
CaptDan, you are exactly correct, we are all OK and that is what matters. Speaking with our agent in NC that place is unscaved and the hurricane hit land there! I swear a tornado hit us here as neither neighbor had any damage what so ever, not a leaf down, us, another story. When 7 and 8 inch trees up uprooted something powerful hit them.

Massive cleanup but overall I am happy as we have power back and building are fine.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Deputy347k9
08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
By the way I just stopped at local Kabota dealer as they sell the chain saw bars that I need. They also sell the Polaris Rangers. Looked over a Ranger RZR Razor 900 that they have listed for just about 18K. Told me it would do about 85pmh. I found nothing at all that I really liked about it, not comfortable, couldn't really use to hall anything of size, not much room in the driver/passenger compartment. I am soooooo happy that I purchased an 825i!

greg825i
08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Deputy

:BG:I had also looked at the Polaris Ranger's and Razors and decided to go with the JD 825i and like you have never looked back or doubted what I did.:Thmup:

greg

srb08
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Deputy, glad to hear you came through the storm with only property damage, our prayers were with you.
Interesting about the starter. Kinda makes you wonder if maybe JD has been having some quality control issues with the chinese parts?
Or maybe, they are selling so many Gators that the supplier just can't keep up with demand.
Either way, it sucks to wait when you need your machine for storm clean up.
Best,
Steve

Deputy347k9
10-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Steve: My local dealer told me that they have sold a good number of the new 825i machines and this was the very first that had a starter problem. Removing and replacing was a learning experience for them though the mechanic told me that it was not nearly as bad as he thought. I need to get back over to them because they are going to give me the old starter. I would really like to find out what the problem actually was, not just remove and replace.

Shenglu: On my front rack I used a thin plywood, of course I painted it John Deeere Green, and outlined the inside, bottom and sides. I use this thing as much as the bed. Expecially when we are going into the field to harvest crops I can put those extra hand tools, greese, oil, knives and so. Great for my lunch and drinks also. I too want to install the XT40 winch as soon as I loosen up a little cash.