PDA

View Full Version : Bed overhang

pcbunn
07-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Can anyone tell me the approxmate distance the bed overhangs the ball hitch? I have several small trailers that have rather short receiver bar lengths relative to the trailer beds/boxes. I haven't had my Gator delivered yet, its expected around the 1st but I was wondering if my trailers have long enough receiver arms. Thanks

purplewg
07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I suspect not. I have a small trailer I use on the back of the Gator and it just did fit before I put the rear bumper on the Gator. This weekend I cut the jack off and put a swing away on the side of one of the forward hitch arms and back. This is one thing I don't like on the Gator is how far the hitch is up under the bed. I plan to get an extension so I can move the hitch back but then I will loose some load capability but for yard trash and stuff it should be ok. Going from memory I would guess from the back of the bed to the ball (and I have it set all way out to the last hole) is only about 18-20 inches. With my bumper it is about 24 inches to the ball. The center mounted jack hit the bumper and before the bumper I could only turn the handle a half turn at a time. Hope that helps.

pcbunn
07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Yea that helps. I don't have the bumper and will also get an extension made up after I determine just how long it needs to be. I'll just be hauling brush and trash, light duty stuff so should be ok. Thanks for your reply.

purplewg
07-19-2011, 07:07 AM
pcbunn, I looked last night and it looks to be only about 12 inches into my ball from the bed back. From my bumper to the ball looks to be 18". You need to watch backing if you have the top screw jack. It can mess stuff under the bed or hit the bed if you get it turned too sharp. With my swing up jack the trailer frame will hit the tires rather than something hard if I get it cocked at too much of an angle. Good luck.