PDA

View Full Version : 825 motor oil

missouri gator
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
New 825 should be here in a few days,:FX: I put 4 to 5 hours a day on my 620 so it wont take long for my 8 hour service on my new machine. What motor oil should I use in the 825?

pcbunn
07-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Check your operaters manual when you get your 825. They suggest two types of JD oil, I forget what they specified but the wt will be according to the temp range you experience, probably 10/30 unless you operate outside in 100 degree plus temps.

Zephyr74
07-21-2011, 01:18 AM
And see if you have a misprint in your owners manual. My manual says 1.37 qts and it is supposed to be 2.3 qts. I saw members on here talking about it and asked my dealer.....they hadn't heard about the misprint until I pointed it out to them.

purplewg
07-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I use Rotella in everything I have. It is a diesel oil but based on the standards it meets it exceeds all my engine needs. I have been using it in my truck and tractors for years. When Harley started charging $7-8 a quart for their oil I started doing some investigation as many were already using Rotella in their bikes. I found it meet all the HD requirements and exceeded most. Sure makes it easy to keep one oil around and put it in everything. It's in the Gator also. Check out this link and read the Diesel oil piece if nothing else.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

cowman1820
07-21-2011, 08:19 AM
did mine last night. who ever put my filter on must have used a filter wrench, I'd like to find him and beat him to a pulp.....:cuss: not the handiest design there deere.....use schaefer oil in everything, picked 10/30 semi-synthetic for the gator.

825joe
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I used amsoil 10w 40 for atv's and motorcycles. Good stuff too.

Deputy347k9
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Rotella is a great product as I also use this same oil in my 96 Impala that has a new turbo engine.

purplewg
07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I used amsoil 10w 40 for atv's and motorcycles. Good stuff too.

I use ansoil in the tranny on the bike and rotella in the crankcase.

G1j
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Make sure to use exactly what the manufacturer directs in the service manual. If it says use John Deere oil, use it. Pay close attention to the wording in the manuals. If it directs you to use a specific oil, other than recommending a specific oil, anything else will void the manufacturers warranty. Companies are becoming very strict on warranty issues when products other than those directed for use are used.

GATORDONE
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
G1J Is very correct on that,Deere will have oil analysis taken if there is any damage to the engine while under warranty. I use deere's 0-40 synthetic oil with good luck.

missouri gator
07-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Very good point! We use JD oil in our tractors for that very reason. I have never used synthetic oil but if thats what deere wants thats what I will use. Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get the new machine and try it out, sounds like everyone is happy with them.

Mark

purplewg
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Don't want to start another "which oil is better" thread here but I have read a lot about oil and warranty before dropping Rotella into my Harley.
Changing your own oil or using a different brand of oil from your manufacturer's factory fill will not void the warranty. As long as the motor oil being used meets the manufacturer's standards required for the vehicle, the warranty cannot be considered void.
Harley and Ford both gave this statement after I pointed out that the law states this also. So, as long as you are using an oil that is equal to or better than recommended by the manufacturer, they cannot void your warranty.
I also asked the regional Ford rep how many times they tested the oil coming out of the 6 liter diesels that were blowing up in 2003. He said, "never".

BarnDoor
07-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Purple is right. That's the truth.
I run Mobil 1 in my 825I
Rotella T in my powerstrokes
John Deere everything in my tractors and lawn equipment. (Its just convenient)
All oils go by an api rating. Im sure both Mobil and Shell Rotella meet and possibly exceed the rating of john deere's oil.

trainman
07-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I change my oil once a year in my bikes and probably the Gator if it needs it or not, thank you, Rotella Synthetic.

John

apple
11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
thanks for the post on amount of oil capacity. Just did the 8 hour change this am. One thing is for sure; they didn't want the filter to leak; dang that thing was way more than tight. But it's in the mirrow now, wife and grandaughter a ridding all over the farm;they seem to be having a time

trainman
11-25-2011, 12:34 PM
It's Rotella Synthetic in all my motorcycles and the Gator, I change my oil once a year if it needs it or not.

John

pcbunn
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
And besides, why not give JD the business. They are a great American company so lets help them stay that way!!

srb08
11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I have 28 hrs on my gator now. At 30 hrs, I am going to change the oil. I'm going to full synthetic. Considering the limited oil capacity and high rpm of the engine, I think synthetic makes the most sense.

825joe
11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
And besides, why not give JD the business. They are a great American company so lets help them stay that way!!

some people don't have the money to have their gator serviced at the dealer. I myself do all my service to my gator. It saves me some money and gives me the satisfaction and piece of mind knowing its done right. :Thmup:

pcbunn
11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I do all my service as well, but I havn't needed anything but basic oil changes yet. I changed my oil at the 8 hr mark, now have 40 hours and will change it again at 50hrs. As most of my use is short duration I'll change it at the 50 hr intervals rather than wait for the 100 hr mark. I using the JD oil as recommended in the manual.