PDA

View Full Version : LCD Temperature Gauge

tgsopher
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Folks,

Pretty happy with my 2011 - 825 Gator and have only two issues. Since I could not find another posting similar enough I though create one.

Anyway, my LCD Temperture Bar Display goes into the hot region regularly, but the fan doesn't seem to turn on right away. When fan DOES turn on, and it clearly cools the engine down but the LCD Temp Gauge is slow to respond. I figure this is because the sample time is fairly low on the LCD Temperature system.

The question is, are other seeing the same thing...
Again, my description is:
The Temp Bar display goes up into the hot zone, and then on kicks the fan... The fan can kick off again, but sometimes the Temp Bar display appears to remain hot--for a few sample--where it eventually goes back to cool.

Does this sound right? Oh, I never see the temperature idiot light go on.

If my description isn't good enough, I could video this and send it on to folk.

Comment?
Best, Ted

purplewg
07-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Try this link. Read post #6 and 7 and see if that helps. http://johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?10743-My-Gator-825i-overheats!!!&highlight=overheating

tgsopher
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Try this link. Read post #6 and 7 and see if that helps. http://johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?10743-My-Gator-825i-overheats!!!&highlight=overheating

I will certainly check this out, but I suspect mine is more a gauge calibration issue--I hope. I do think the sample rate on the guage is too low though.

Thanks for your reply, assistance is appreciated.

Ted

purplewg
07-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I was thinking if you had a bad connection there it could be high resistance and causing some problems. My temp gauge seems to react pretty quickly.

tgsopher
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I was thinking if you had a bad connection there it could be high resistance and causing some problems. My temp gauge seems to react pretty quickly.

Good point, I will check it out this weekend and get back to you. I have an electronics background so this is right up my alley. ;-) I just bought my gator and it had 8 hours on it. The guys that were selling it too me clearly were using it as a demo - not good. But, it may tell me this was one of the earlier ones. Do you know how to ID the manufacture date?

Best, Ted

purplewg
07-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Ted, I am pretty sure you said, "Anyway, my LCD Temperture Bar Display goes into the hot region regularly, but the fan doesn't seem to turn on right away".

I was thinking (possibly in error) that your fan might be coming on slow a result of possibly a bad contact. Mine (fan) comes on before the gauge ever moves above the normal line.

I'm still thinking about putting a real mechanical gauge in mine.

tgsopher
07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, you are right--I said that. ;-) . And the following bit of info is really important, i.e., "Mine (fan) comes on before the gauge ever moves above the normal line." So mine might be busted due to the paint... Again, I'll check it and let you know. Thanks "very" much. Ted

tgsopher
07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Yes, you are right--I said that. ;-) . And the following bit of info is really important, i.e., "Mine (fan) comes on before the gauge ever moves above the normal line." So mine might be busted due to the paint... Again, I'll check it and let you know. Thanks "very" much. Ted

Well I did my bit, cleaned the chassis paint and anodizing from the radiator bracket (plus the boltl to ensure I am getting a good connection. I didn't measure it with a ohm meter because I wasso sure the connection was good, however, after thinking about it I will this weekend just to be sure. It did not help. Thus, I made a video of the what the gauge looks like when it is running and when the fan comes on. I guess I cannot share it here as it is a mpeg4 by apple and the site doesn't allow m4v files. How do I do this? Anyone interested in seeing it?

Best, Ted

purplewg
07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I would like to see it. If you can get it on YouTube, just post a link. I was hoping for the easy fix but I guess not. Sounds like the dealer will have to take a peak at it. It doesn't sound normal.

tgsopher
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I posted my video on You Tube. Take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogDxtXvdQE

Best. Ted

Deputy347k9
07-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Ted, just watched your video, thank you very much as the video really helps in understanding your situation. The past two weeks here in Maine have been over 90 degrees daily and I have driven the 825i daily. Never once have I seen my temp rise into the first black bar. Seemed to come down rather quickly once the fan came on? This will be interesting to say the least. Please keep us all updated as to what you find. Where the temp falls quickly I would not think the fluids are actually as hot as the gauge is displaying. Bottom line it is a concern and needs to be addressed ASAP.

tgsopher
07-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks to the wideo when my vendor saw it he immediately asked to pick up the 825i for repair. Now the question is, will we get the "real explanation" of what was wrong after they correct it. If they swap an electronics module I suspect not.

I do have concern that I may have put 8 (additional) hours on it while running it too hot. The question is, what is the long term impact of this? I know enough about engines to know it would increase the wear. An interesting fact is that the dealer put 8 hrs on it and never seemed to notice the problem--it was delivered with 8 hrs. ;-( (of course begs the question--how did they break it in) Now that I know what 8 hrs drive time is like, it is a lot of time.

One unrelated question I have is, when others startup there 825s, do they tap just a bit in the beginning. It is like they have hydraulic lifters and it takes the a moment for the oil to get into them. Does this sound right?

Best, Ted

purplewg
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Oh man, pictures are worth a 1000 words here for sure. Yeah, never seen that before. Sounds like a temp sending unit. Dealer time I would say. Have them come look at it.

I see a old bearded man and one in a cow hat!: Am I physic or what?:rofl

tgsopher
07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I wondered if anyone was detail oriented enough to notice. I am bearded guy--not that old just look that way--and my dad was the guy in the cow hat, he is 76. We were laughing about this yesterday.

purplewg
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
I wondered if anyone was detail oriented enough to notice. I am bearded guy--not that old just look that way--and my dad was the guy in the cow hat, he is 76. We were laughing about this yesterday.

I apologize for calling you old. It was the picture. I wear a cowboy hat myself. Not sure why I called it a cow hat. lolololol My old man is 87 so I assume I might be older than you.:Chers:

tgsopher
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Folks,

Valley Truck and Tractor of Elk Grove Ca. saw my video and jumped on a repair pronto! (their response was excellent.) It turned out to be the ground--not on the radiator bracket--but on the main part of the chassis. I'll take a picture of it when I have time. This seems to have fixed the problem.

Best, Ted

purplewg
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Great tgsopher. Glad they took care of you. Yes, please take a pic of the area with the grounding problem. I saw mine jump up into the black for the first time the other just going from the barn to the house. Soon as the fan turned on it went right back to normal. I may have the same issue.

tgsopher
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Great tgsopher. Glad they took care of you. Yes, please take a pic of the area with the grounding problem. I saw mine jump up into the black for the first time the other just going from the barn to the house. Soon as the fan turned on it went right back to normal. I may have the same issue.

Since I won't get to this until the weekend, I can tell you the following now. If you lift your bed, standing on the passenger side, look down at the frame and there are two large grounding wires there. They wirebrushed the frame where it connects.

Check it out and see if you can find it.

Best, Ted

purplewg
08-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Since I won't get to this until the weekend, I can tell you the following now. If you lift your bed, standing on the passenger side, look down at the frame and there are two large grounding wires there. They wirebrushed the frame where it connects.

Check it out and see if you can find it.

Best, Ted

Will do. I will check it tonight when I get home. Thanks

srb08
08-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Ted:
Thanks for the info. I have had the same problem but not as bad as yours.
I'll be doing some brushing as well.
Thanks again,
Steve

Zephyr74
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Folks,

Valley Truck and Tractor of Elk Grove Ca. saw my video and jumped on a repair pronto! (their response was excellent.) It turned out to be the ground--not on the radiator bracket--but on the main part of the chassis. I'll take a picture of it when I have time. This seems to have fixed the problem.

Best, Ted

Ted,

I sent you a private message! I too live in the Sacramento area and bought my Gator from Valley Truck and Tractor! Good to hear that they had excellent service.

Ryan

tgsopher
09-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Folks, I took the video down, but if you want to see it let me know. I will post a picture of the fix. Sorry I haven't got to this sooner.

Best, Ted

jsonnier
09-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Please post a picture of the fix. I cleaned where I think is the main chasis ground and now my readout on the display is worse. My temp read out goes to the first black bar all the time but has never gone to the second black until now. Now it goes into the second black bar all the time. The fan comes on most every time the first black bar shows up, and sometimes runs til it gets to the second black bar. Normally within 30 to 45 seconds the fan will cut off and the temp returns to normal. According to our operating man. the second black bar is around 230 degrees

tgsopher
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I don't see a reply to jsonnier's last message so I am trying again. Best, Ted

The image is in photobucket. http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/tgsopher/

Best, Ted

jsonnier
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Thank you Ted . Thats the area i sanded to the metal, but still no fix for me. I know for a fact that the motor is NOT over heating . The gauge is NOT reading true. Im thinking about removing the thermostat so i dont have to worry about it over heating. Its the only way that i know to be able to control an over heating issue . If the electronic bars dont give me an accurate reading, then i will never know when the engine actually is over heating until its TOO late

tgsopher
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
By the way, I would not remove the thermostat as this will cause excessive wear over time. You need to keep it at the designed operational temperature as much as possible.

Ted

purplewg
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Thank you Ted . Thats the area i sanded to the metal, but still no fix for me. I know for a fact that the motor is NOT over heating . The gauge is NOT reading true. Im thinking about removing the thermostat so i dont have to worry about it over heating. Its the only way that i know to be able to control an over heating issue . If the electronic bars dont give me an accurate reading, then i will never know when the engine actually is over heating until its TOO late

Maybe install a automotive temp gauge? Might give you a more warm fuzzy feeling as to what is going on.

jsonnier
09-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Exactly what I am going to do.

xuvron
11-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Folks,

Best, Ted

That is a repair from Deere for 825I's in a specific ser#range. Call your dealer to see if yours is affected. It is a free repair as JD will pay the dealer to fix it.