PDA

View Full Version : Power Inverter

purplewg
07-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Anyone installed a Power Inverter on their Gator? Seems like the charging system would handle it ok. Sure would be nice to have some power for a saw or drill sometimes when out in the boonies.

If you have used them, any brands I should stay away from? Any brands you would recommend?

Deputy347k9
07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Now that is a sweet idea! How many times I could have used a power inverter, if anything just to keep batteries charged for the cordless drill and saw! I hope someone chimes in on this! Of course Purplewg you are costing me money!

greg825i
07-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Both of you are costing me money.:lol:

purplewg
07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
:BG::Thmup::Jestr:

Sorry guys. Just trying to make life bit better. If no one pipes in, I will just read some reviews and see what I can find. If for some reason it doesn't work out I can always put it on the truck.

greg825i
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
:Thmup:Not upset. Thankful for the information. As Larry said it would be nice to have power out there when needed. Looking forward to your feedback if you decide to do it.

srb08
07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I looked at the chargers for my cordless tools. Dewalt 18v draws 2amps. Milwaukee, less than 1 amp. Dewalt would need a 250 watt inverter and the Milwaukee a 150 watt. A 150 watt inverter needs 14 amps at 12 volts to operate. A 250 watt inverter needs 25 amps. The power plug in the gator is only rated for 10 amps. Even a small inverter would need to be hard wired to the battery with a minimun of 12awg wire. Considering the location of the battery, it should not be much of a problem to install inverter wiring.
I use Tripp Lite inverters at work but there are other good ones out there. As with everything else, you get what you pay for. A serviceable 250 watt inverter can be had for less than $75 but a good one will cost you twice that. When you move up in output the price goes up quickly.
If you are planning on running any saws or drills off of an inverter, take a hard look at what you will need power wise. A small generator might be a better option.

purplewg
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
I think I need 2000 watts. I need to see what input is required on the inverter to obtain 2000W. I'm sure each one is different. 2000W might be asking too much of the alternator on the Gator. I will have to check. I also looked at some of those little 2000W gen sets. Dang, they are expensive also.

GATORDONE
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I would advise not to put a power invertor on this motor because it has a ecu (electronic control unit) that can be damaged with voltage spikes and also low voltage. Even hooking up a battery charger on boost or with jumper cables will damage them. at a price of $575.00 and warranty will not cover it. I have seen this happen on other equipment with ecu"s.

purplewg
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks Gatordone for the info. So, are you telling me there is no voltage regulator for the electronic panel or the ECU? Just about everything has an ECU today. Was this maybe an oversight?

For anyone wanting more info this is a good source. http://www.invertersrus.com/inverterfaq.html

Things I picked up on;
They recommend no more than 2500W inverters for even trucks.
Treat an inverter like you would a TV. They get hot and are not water proof. Marine units available but the cost goes way up.
Note the differences between "pure sine and modified sine wave" inverters. Your selection should be based on what you plan to operate on it.
Smaller units could be quick disconnect. The size I think I need would be more difficult.

For now, I think I will keep looking on Craigslist for one of those small quiet generators for my needs.

GATORDONE
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
The only voltage protection on this system is fuses that go to a dedicated curcuit, Example is ignition,12v outlet, lights, winches, that only demand certain volts and amps. The ecu works with 3-5 volts only and is vulnerable to any voltage spikes that come with over charging or excessive pull of amps on the system. Even in the automotive industry and ag, they recommend not to jump start car or overcharge or damage will occur to electronics. I have replaced several curcuit boards on tractors that this has occured. This is a very simple curcuit on the new gators.

purplewg
07-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks again Gator. Me thinks I am going find me one of those iddy biddy generators. I see no good method of mounting an inverter where it will be away from water, dirt, and such anyway.

srb08
07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Is there a safe way to jump start a dead gator?

GATORDONE
07-28-2011, 04:09 PM
The safest way is to disconnect the pos cable, charge battery and then rehook cable. That way only the battery is taking the charge.

Deepwoods
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I never thought of the inverter on my Gator, but do carry my Honda 3000 to sites where power is unavailable (such as working on my buddy's camp). The Honda 2000 woould be more than enough, but I also use mine for my travel trailer (air conditioner). I love my 825i.

srb08
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks gatordone. I appreciate the information.

GATORDONE
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Glad i could help!