PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge melted

CaptDan
07-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I am temporarily keeping my gator outside at a camp, covered and locked or course, last week when we had those 104 degree temps it seems that the white markings on the gas gauge indicating the fuel level, melted. I am not sure if the fuel expanded due to the high heat and somehow got into the gauge or the actual heat from the sun just melted the white markings, but now all I have is a blur of white substance inside my fuel gauge.

Just curious, anyone else experience anything like this ?

Thanks

Dan

Deputy347k9
07-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Wow! Never heard of a problem like this one.

chevelle69
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Mine has partially melted the white area just this week.

Deputy347k9
07-27-2011, 12:25 PM
The big quesiton is WHY is this happening? Could fuel be getting inside the cap and causing the paint on the gauge face to disolve? Looks like this may become a problem for many Gator owners. Hope we can figure this out while machines are under warranty.

CaptDan
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
I am thinking that because of the high heat, the gas expanded, or the gas vapors expanded and got in to the gauge and dissolved whatever substance was used to create the white indicator lines on the gauge. I will get the dealer to check it out when I get back up to camp next week.

purplewg
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Three words. Made In China.

GatorMover
07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
I just noticed today i have a new unit that juswt came in with a sticking gauge. I had to beat on the side of the tank with my hand to make it move but it's going to need replaced. Hadn't seen that before. It looks like a chincey pos gauge though.

pcbunn
07-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I've learned the hard way with other stuff not to overfill the gas tank, best to leave plenty of room for expansion. I actually split a tank on my Sears lawn tractor by filling the tank to the top. Now its only about 3/4 or a little more each time I fill up. Everything built today is as cheap as they can make it no matter whose name is on the equiptment.

BarnDoor
07-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Lol @ purple. I keep mine inside unless im on it, but I've noticed the lens on my gauge is turning yellow.
I keep meaning to pull the dash apart and see if there is a provision for any of the inactive gauges in the cluster. Its just been way too hot in my all metal shop.

Deputy347k9
07-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Just maybe John Deere is going to have thier first "recall". This is another reason I enjoy this Forum so much. Quickly you can find out if your the only one with a problem or not.

825joe
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I did notice that when I filled my tank up, I get a bit of a fuel smell when not on a level trail, and there was fuel in my gauge. hmmmm.

purplewg
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Same gauge they have used on lawn mowers for years and all know how good those are. The only way that paint has a chance of standing up to fuel is if they used urethane paint and I'm sure they did not. The plastic cover should be glass for what we pay for these things.

pcbunn
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I have the same type of gauge on one of my lawn tractors, I cut down a beer can holder and keep it over the clear plastic while in the sun as they don't last when exposed. You would think JD could have installed a ditigal gauge in the cluster like most motorcycles have.

Deputy347k9
07-28-2011, 10:58 AM
How do we notify John Deere factory of this problem? I agree with everyone here, for the amoutn we pay for these machines this should not happen. This problem needs to be addressed ASAP. Does anyone know of an email address for John Deere Headquarters so we all can send messages? If we individually notify our local dealers I am quite sure it will be blown off as they will not see the number of complaints. Let's do it!

825joe
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree! here is the phone number and the link. 1-800-533-6446.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/corporate/our_company/contact_us/contact_us.page?

GatorMover
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Just maybe John Deere is going to have thier first "recall". This is another reason I enjoy this Forum so much. Quickly you can find out if your the only one with a problem or not.

Same here. I can see what you guys are learning and experiencing and I can do the same. I would like a crystal ball to see where these Chicom motors are in 5-10 years.

We just changed plugs in a freshy off the truck (825), wouldn't idle or run smooth-missing terrible, top speed 35. New plugs and walla! plugs looked like new in the box so QC missed it I guess.

825joe
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
At least the are easy to change. lol what brand plugs?

purplewg
07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I wonder if demand is causing them to rush the builds and QC a little more now?

825joe
07-28-2011, 01:49 PM
very well could be.

pcbunn
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
After contacting the dealer as indicated on the web page noted above, I think we will need to write individual letters to the corp headquarters and in the letter request a written reply acknowledging the issue and how it will be handled. I suspect they will just replace the gauge on an as needed basis with maybe an eye on a future in tank digital gauge. JD is a pretty good company overall and values their reputation. Not addressing a problem will quickly become a pr nightmare they will want to avoid. I have had very good luck with JD over the past 15 years, not that I have had any serious problems with the two tractors I have owner a 970 and now a 990, so I think going through the recommended channels first with a follow up letter is the best approach.