PDA

View Full Version : Roaring in front end

mossyoak
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I have a 11 825i

When I drive it has a bad roaring in the front end. It started at around 15 hrs and is still there. Seems to be worse in low.

Any ideas? Thanks

GATORDONE
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Take it to your Deere dealer and have them check the gear backlash on the differential.

mossyoak
08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Take it to your Deere dealer and have them check the gear backlash on the differential.

Could you explain what this is? Thanks!

GATORDONE
08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
The noise could be coming from the gears inside the front differential, The backlash (spacing between the gears) are set too tight or too loose from the manufacter which in turn will cause the noise you are having. This sometimes problem has been on hpx"s and xuv"s. Dealers know about this. If you do have them look at this also ask them to realign the front drive shaft coming from the transmission.

El guapo
08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
My 825 is at about 40 hours and also has an occasional grinding noise from the front end. I've been reading various opinions on this and have heard everything from mis-aligned drive shafts and bad differentials to loose washers. I've heard it is merely a nuisance noise as well as hearing that you should take to the dealer!
Right now I'm just playing by ear (ha ha) and waiting to see where everything shakes out. Ill watch to see what you end up finding.

GatorMover
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
We have had to reset the gear lash on at least one I know of. More so we have replaced a lot of the front to rear driveline. The pillow block bearing at the u-joint goes out, or is just bad at delivery. Yet, dozens upon dozens that have never had a issue. First I think JD needs an iso mount for that bearing.
I know of only one catastrophic failufe of a differential. New machine, had less than 5 hours, to a well known customer. We weren't there so can't say for sure what happened. What we do know is, it split the rear diff-it was ugly. Never an explanation, never a clue. I tend to think someone is missing a 14mm socket from assembly or a bolt was never tightened internally.
So, in general, I would say there's been some issues but JD has always taken care of them and that's part of what people are paying for. I have some customers that put these things through some of the most demanding work loads and without issue. Bottom line is, they are a great machine from a company that supports its customers.

missouri gator
08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
AMEN to that, nothing but green on our farm right down to the JD flag in the front yard! GatorMover, 825 is ready for first oil change dealer suggested I put Plus 50 15-40 in it, said that was the only oil they service them with. That goes against the owners manual but a company rep was who told them, have you heard that, and what oil do you service them with? Not putting one dealer against another just wanting a second opinion.

El guapo
08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
My dealer sold me 10-30.

GatorMover
08-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Easy answer to the oil- Whatever falls within spec in the owners manual- Plus 50 15-40 or 10-30 either one works fine. I know the shop uses the plus 50 a lot because it covers a lot of products. But always refer back to my first line :)

mossyoak
08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
We have had to reset the gear lash on at least one I know of. More so we have replaced a lot of the front to rear driveline. The pillow block bearing at the u-joint goes out, or is just bad at delivery. Yet, dozens upon dozens that have never had a issue. First I think JD needs an iso mount for that bearing.
I know of only one catastrophic failufe of a differential. New machine, had less than 5 hours, to a well known customer. We weren't there so can't say for sure what happened. What we do know is, it split the rear diff-it was ugly. Never an explanation, never a clue. I tend to think someone is missing a 14mm socket from assembly or a bolt was never tightened internally.
So, in general, I would say there's been some issues but JD has always taken care of them and that's part of what people are paying for. I have some customers that put these things through some of the most demanding work loads and without issue. Bottom line is, they are a great machine from a company that supports its customers.

Thanks for all the info. Somedays it roars worse than others. I just wonder when the breaking point is to call the dealer. Can you tell me how JD's first year warranty works? Is the JD dealer responsible for picking up the unit regardless of the distance to your house? Thanks.

GatorMover
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
PU/DEL is not covered under the standard factory warranty. It can be covered with the purchase of the ESP. Hopefully your dealers told you about it.

mossyoak
08-08-2011, 10:35 AM
If it is backlash will it damage Gator or is it just a noise?

GATORDONE
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
If it is backlash will it damage Gator or is it just a noise?
Yes it will in time damage the gears and metal fillings will get in oil and take the bearings out.

mossyoak
08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes it will in time damage the gears and metal fillings will get in oil and take the bearings out.

Thanks. I am regretting buying my Gator 2 hours away now :(

GatorMover
08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
You can go to any dealer for warranty work, just like a car-Dealer honors the warranty. If I loose a sale to another dealer though, guy brings it in for service, he's going way back to the end of the line......if ya know what I mean. We still treat it like any other, but where we might knock out something minor and get them back out, that's not going to happen for someone who sold me out for $50.
If you have a dealer turn you out because you didn't purchase from them just call mother Deere....your problem will be solved.

ThomasM
08-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Looks like I will be taking my gator to the JD dealer for service. Started having the roaring noise in the front end last week and its getting worse. My neighbor had the same problerm with his and said dealer replaced front drive shaft and now no more noise. Looks like JD is having a major problem with this front drive shaft.

duling
08-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the advice... mine has 16hrs on it and the noise is getting progressively worse. The roaring is now coupled with a slight knocking sound when I am slowing down. It sounds like an old Chevy when you left the hubs locked in while in 2WD. I thought that the maybe the 4WD was stuck but a quick trip through the mudhole cancelled that theory. Guess I'll be heading back to the dealer. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

GatorMover
08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice... mine has 16hrs on it and the noise is getting progressively worse. The roaring is now coupled with a slight knocking sound when I am slowing down. It sounds like an old Chevy when you left the hubs locked in while in 2WD. I thought that the maybe the 4WD was stuck but a quick trip through the mudhole cancelled that theory. Guess I'll be heading back to the dealer. I'll let you know how it all pans out. Before you drive there ask them if they have the front drive in stock just for the heck of it. Every service manager out there knows about this issue. There has been no issue at all for Deere to cover the replacement. If this is the worst thing that rears it's head on the new designs, I'm good with that. Thing is, this particular drive arrangment hasn't really changed since the XUV was released.