PDA

View Full Version : Changing the oil for the first time

pcbunn
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Have read both the owners and service manual and the forum posts on the tight oil filter, what other things are good to know in preparing to change the oil. I have a set of race ramps and two floor jacks; I'm assuming it will make working under the Gator a little easier. Does the special filter wrench help? Any other advice or words or wisdom? Thanks

srb08
08-07-2011, 08:19 PM
The JD filter wrench makes the job much easier. I didn't need ramps or jack stands to work under mine and I'm a big guy. The whole process took about 30 minutes. The protective plate is 3 bolts to remove. Make sure you remove any crud on the magnetic drain plug before putting it back.

El guapo
08-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a heck of a time getting the nut out of the oil pan. Didn't want to move but three wrenches later I finally got it. I did use the JD filter cup and did not use any ramps or jacks.

pcbunn
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Good to know. Will get or order filter wrench tomorrow. I'll try it without the ramps once and see how it goes, might be nice to have the extra 11 inches. Thanks for the info.

Landscaper
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I also juyst changed the oil on my 825i for the first time and i load the gator hauled it drove it for less than 3 minutes and man was that oil HOTT!
I also had a hard time with the plug i didnt know it was magnetic on the end and also the filter was on TIGHT!!

So the filter wrench you guys talk about is.....Like a channel lock kind? Since i tried the normal circle kind and it is tight in there to use it. So what kind are we talking here?
Also how often is everyone changing the oil? Cant remember what it says in the manual?

srb08
08-08-2011, 12:00 AM
JD has a cap type filter wrench that goes on a 3/8 in drive rachet. It makes filter removal much easier.
With the limited oil capacity of the 825i engine, I'm going to be changing every 25 hours.
I believe the manual calls for 100 hrs.

pcbunn
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
When I was at JD dealer today picking up the filter wrench I asked the parts mgr about synthetic oil and he said they didn't have any in stock but wasn't actually sure if they even had synthetic but then said I could use any good quality automotive oil. I asked about Mobil 1 and he said it would be fine. I can get Mobil 1 cheaper at Cosco so after I run the 3 free qts of JD plus4 I think I'll switch to Mobil 1, anyone see having any problems with this? Seems to work fine in the Corvette and the Lighting but what about the Gator?

deereboy88
08-08-2011, 07:32 PM
When I was at JD dealer today picking up the filter wrench I asked the parts mgr about synthetic oil and he said they didn't have any in stock but wasn't actually sure if they even had synthetic but then said I could use any good quality automotive oil. I asked about Mobil 1 and he said it would be fine. I can get Mobil 1 cheaper at Cosco so after I run the 3 free qts of JD plus4 I think I'll switch to Mobil 1, anyone see having any problems with this? Seems to work fine in the Corvette and the Lighting but what about the Gator?
I been using royal purple and a k&n oil filter on mine ever since I drain the first break in oil out and been changing mine @30hrs with no problems.

srb08
08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I been using royal purple and a k&n oil filter on mine ever since I drain the first break in oil out and been changing mine @30hrs with no problems.
What is the k&n part #?
I can't find a cross reference pn for the gator filter.

pcbunn
08-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I was wondering the same!

duling
08-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the helpful information... I only ran mine for about 60seconds and the oil was the perfect temp to change. Didn't have any trouble getting the filter off, used one of my wife's rubber jar grips and turned it off by hand. My drain plug was difficult to get off as well. I am thinking of changing to a different oil for winter, it gets cold up here. Any suggestions?

Also, does everyone run 87 in their gator or would a higher octane rating be better? Thanks.

GATORDONE
08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm running 0-40 deere synthetic oil in mine mainly because this engine runs hot and the high rpm's. Mobil 1 or castrel synthetic oils would be a good brands also.

outdoors54
11-14-2011, 10:35 AM
El guapo
Could you tell me what size wrench fits the plug? metric? What shape of would work the best. Just trying to get the first one correct.
Thanks

number3shot
11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Panel you have to remove is 13mm. Drain plug 14mm.
As far as the filter, I had a heck of a time getting it back on tight enough so it wouldn'd drip a little.
Very tight quarters.

trussman
11-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Well my first time was today and Had about 11 hours on the machine, better late than never I guess. After listening to the advice on the forum I waited till I received my oil filter wrench from JD. I am sure glad I did as I tried to take it off by hand numerous ways and could not get it loose. SO it pays to belong to this wonderful forum.:Ysnd:

I used Mobil-1 10w-30 but I doubt that I will change the oil much more often than JD states, which is 100 hours. I guess if you were doing some heavy duty off-roading etc you might want to. The only other comment I have is the magnetic drain plug, not sure I like that a lot. Did they make it for metal filings to adhere to inside the crankcase or was it intended to make it easier for the oil changer?

Anyway success in the first oil change.:Seya:

825joe
11-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I use amsoil. So far so good.

Thomas
11-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Just changed the oil today. Actually, no need to remove anything. The oil plug is 15mm - you'll need a socket with short extension. For the oil filter, I just use a pair of normal size channel lock pliers - get a grip on the filter - turn - re-grip - turn - until you can remove by hand. You'll crush the filter a bit - but shouldn't matter since you're throwing away.

If you do remove the guard - you'll need a 13mm socket / wrench.

I used a fram filter - it is Fram # PH4967

Only caution is refill - I added 3 quarts and it measured over full. Ended up draining some off.