PDA

View Full Version : 2011 gator 815 I front Rattle Nosie ( Drive Shaft )

Jeff Upchurch
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Just took delievery of a New 825 I Love it , all is good other than having to defend the Rattle noise coming from The front Drive shaft which supplies the front differential , with the vehcile on a Lift and standing under neath with the driveline running aprox 20 MPH a rattle nosie is no doubt being created from the looseness within the front Drive shaft . I can grease the shaft and side load it and the noise goes away , With the driveline Stoped and at ease I can with my hand create the noise by shaking the shaft . I took pictures and met with my John deere dealer in service to find that he said thay actually replaced the drive shaft two weeks ago with the support bearing because the saleman stated I complained about the noise when I test drove it , anyone have any ideas ? All other aspects of the unit are fantastic such an upgrade from my 2006 Yamaha Rhino , I did have the full Cab placed on it with doors and as well a very Nice Hydraulic actuated 72 inch Snow plow , which Im sure will get a workout here in Indiana in just a few months , , This noise thing is so embarrssing to explain everytime someone new rides with me , , If JD doesnt have a fix I just wish they woudl say So , I'm really thinking about taking apart myself and have a shaft made that actually runs quite and has closer tolerances ,
Jeff

BarnDoor
08-23-2011, 02:04 AM
When mine started doing it, it was like I flipped I switch and there was the rattle. The gator was loaded with 5 people, a dog and a bunch of duck hunting gear. In 4wd, low range going upill while turning. Im guessing the rubber engine mounts flexed, causing axial loading on the solid mounted bearing under the floor. Whatever it does to the bearing caused it to have play from that moment on.
It took me a while to find it initially. I didn't think it was drivetrain related with mine because it rattled when revving the engine in neutral too. I racked the gator on my lift, loosened the two bearing support bolts and lifted the bearing up. The rattle and noise were gone. Dealer replaced shaft assembly with bearing, the machine has been 100% since.