PDA

View Full Version : Jagg Oil Cooler

pcbunn
08-18-2011, 06:23 PM
The folks at Jagg just notified me that they have an adaptor to fit the oil filter seat on the Gator from which to attach one of there 10 row oil coolers. Have everything available with exception of mounting bracket for the cooler as it hasn't been developed yet. Should be easy to mock one up when I can figure the best place for the cooler. I'm thinking somewhere on the side just adjacent to the frame. Their cooler has an internal thermostate set at 185 degrees so untill oil reaches that temp cooler is off-line. Soon as I get a few other projects completed will be installing one and will post pics.

srb08
08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd like to have adaptor and just install an oil bag. With the extra oil, you probably wouldn't need the cooler

pcbunn
08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
The guy to contact at Jagg is Marv Beals. You can just email him via Jagg Oil coolers and get whatever you need. As for me I will get the cooler as soon as I can figure out how and where to mount it. The whole set up for my Harley was around $400.00 plus or minus, I can't remember and it has sure helped lower the motors operating temp during slow hot rides. I know the Gator is water cooled but a cooler couldn't hurt, especially in the summer, going slow with a load. Anyway I just like doing stuff like this.

srb08
08-18-2011, 09:58 PM
I've got a Jagg on my twin cam. It lowered the oil temp about 30 degrees. I put a 107 ci Ultima Evo in my old Road King. During break in, I was afraid thr Evo would need one as well, but after the first 500 miles, the oil temp dropped to an acceptable level and I haven't had any issues.
Thanks for the Jagg info, if I decide to go that route, I'll give them a call.

pcbunn
08-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Here's a shot of my WG for your viewing pleasure;
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/pcbunn/FXDWG/P1010587.jpg

srb08
08-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Nice scooter:cool:

BarnDoor
08-21-2011, 01:46 AM
An oil cooler can hurt. If oil isn't run at proper temperature, sludge can form. You certainly don't want that. Condensation forms inside every engine due to the hot and cold cycles. That's why you should try to avoid short trips where you don't get the engine up to operating temperature. If you don't get the oil hot enough, the condensation builds up in your oil forming sludge.

I see this constantly at work. Customers that only drive a few miles to work have some of the nastiest oil I've seen. Especially the post 2000 cars running synthetic oil. Mercedes says 10,000 miles between oil changes, so alot of the time there is nasty milkshake looking crap inside the valve covers.
That Harley is up to operating temp before our gator's temp gauge has started to move!
Im all for reliability, and our gators certainly deserve the best! Just make sure you really need that cooler!
Just my .02?!

srb08
08-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Barndoor, you make a valid point. I agree, too low an oil temp is a concern. I'd just like to have a little more capacity.

BarnDoor
08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Id like more oil as well, 2.3 quarts isn't much oil in an engine this size. 3.5-4 would be ideal. Now im curious what oil temps my gator runs. If it gets above 195f, a cooler would be a great addition. I've got a infrared temp gun, i'll see what temps it gives me. If I had a spare auto gauge id install it to test.

srb08
08-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Where do you measure oil temp with an infrared gun?
I vave one as well and would be interested to know just how hot the oil gets.

pcbunn
08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
You guys are correct, its important to have the temp high enough to eliminate condensation. The Jagg cooler's adaptor has a 185 degree thermostat incorporated and doesn't allow the oil to flow to the cooler until it reaches that temp. I live in a warm to hot climate in the summer so for me I think its a good idea, also adds about 20 oz to the oil volume. Like everything else in life it has specific characteristics that may not be suitable for everyone. So everyone should do their homework befor investing in a cooler or any other modification.

BarnDoor
08-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Id probably hit the oil filter after a hard run. I have a loop on my farm I can run wide open for about a mile and a half, then i'll try to take a temp reading on the filter.

pcbunn
08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know at what temp the fan comes on? Might make a reference point relative to when an oil cooler circuit would open.

BarnDoor
08-23-2011, 01:40 AM
From the service manual:
J - Coolant Temperature Gauge - These lights will illuminate the current engine temperature. Each temperature bar displays 10C / 18F increase in temperature, ranging from 60C (140F) to 110C (230F). If temperature raises above 110C (230F), engine coolant temperature light (E) will illuminate.

Now that I've seen this, the operating temp of coolant in the 825i seems to be about 195F.

srb08
08-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I took my Gator on an extended ride today. Every time the fan kicked on, I stopped and read the temp of the oil filter. The low was 172 degrees and the high was 179 degrees. I ran about a mile in low range just to heat things up a little. The highest reading on the filter was 185 degrees. The high temp today was 84 so the conditions weren't perfect for trying to generate max heat in the engine.

pcbunn
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
That's interesting info and kinda makes the case that the engine isn't getting hot enough to warrent an auxiliary cooler but it would be interesting to know what temp it reaches say, loaded with gear, climbing uphill fire roads on a 100 degree day. I read somewhere that oil doesn't begin to break down until it reaches sustained temps of 285 or more. Maybe JD has designed the motor to run relatively cool, say around 185 to 220 under loaded conditions? I sure they know the general type of working conditions these vehicles will operate in and maybe we don't really have anything to worry about. Still, I just like the idea of a Jagg cooler, opening at 185 and the extra oil it provides. Soon as I hear back from Jagg regarding the little device that keeps the adaptor from turning everytime you remove the filter and if they are going to make a mounting bracket ( not that I couldn't make one) I plan to install one.

walterstech
06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I was also concerned about the mediocre oil capacity, so I added a filter relocation kit with a larger filter. The kit consisted of a Derale 15709 and a 15705. I also added some custom gauges for oil pressure, water temp and voltage. A filter sandwich adapter was added behind the filter spin on adapter to install the pressure sending unit. The oil filter along with the 6 to 7 ft of oil line gave me an extra quart of capacity and a small amount of cooling.

pcbunn
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Very, very cool, but 90 lbs of oil pressure? That's pretty high I think but can't say for sure. You might want to verify oil flow and pressure with JD.