PDA

View Full Version : 620i Suspended Suspension

JimmyMac
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
The oil for the drivers side front shock and I have had a dissagreement and parted ways. I chose to go down the trail....and the oil decided to stay there. Happy Trails! :BG:

Before I order OEM replacements or upgrade to the heavy duty ones offered by JD, I would love to know what you think. Do you own the HD front shocks? Are they brutally preloaded? Can you stand it without the plow attachment?

I see the 2011 offers FOX SHOCKS as an option. Is there anything a little sporty like that offered for an '07 620i, JD or aftermarket? How about in the rear? I'm ready to upgrade all four.

Thanks in advance! I'm gonna make like shock oil and hit the dusty trail! :lol:

JimmyMac
11-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Well...lets see, I'm gonna skip the shock treatment for a bit cause I have to replace my wheel bearings... there done. All four are shot.

When you replace CV joints, does it hurt anything to completely pack the boots with grease? I'm attempting to water proof them.

825joe
11-11-2011, 10:29 AM
You don't need to completely pack them full because when the boot bends it can cause it to burst in a sense when you turn or it flexes. I would just make sure there is plenty but not more than half full.

JimmyMac
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks Joe. I just went about half-way with the grease.

OK, I ordered the Heavy Duty shocks, and I love them. They are about the same diameter coil as the rear and ride very nice and firm. I think they are perfect!

I did get an unexpected result though, it lifted it considerably. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I already have 3" of lift, and this shock upgrade actually took it up even higher. I had to re-adjust the toe almost 3/4" of threads. The tie rods are already bent from a previous lift that was reduced, so they work fine now, but I haven't seen if they hit today while we were out. :FX: I may have to remove some of the lift...although I really like it this high!

There was no binding at the CV joint today either...thank goodness, I just replaced two this week along with all four wheel bearings.. I will post the pictures for ya'll later. They were so bad the inner races were stuck on the rotors, the outer races were in the hub and the bearings fell all over the shop floor! I had to weld bolts to the races to drive them out with a Swing Press. (without the inner races to press on, there was no way to get them out!) What a challenge!

JimmyMac
02-11-2012, 10:01 PM

JimmyMac
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM

....My shop helper, Sam837

Regulator
02-11-2012, 11:01 PM

....My shop helper, Sam837

I think you better pay your shop helper Sam a little better because he needs a new pair of jeans...his whole knee is sticking out of the pants he has on in the picture!!! :lol:

Great pics JimmyMac....it's really cool when someone takes the time to document their Gator fixes to share on the Forum...I'd like to see some pics of it with the lift when you get a chance...it's also cool that you are doing your own work too...That's a pretty big job doing the CV joints on all 4 wheels...

Thanx for the pics....

Larry in MD :Jestr:

tex_diesel
02-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I think you better pay your shop helper Sam a little better because he needs a new pair of jeans...his whole knee is sticking out of the pants he has on in the picture!!! :lol:

Great pics JimmyMac....it's really cool when someone takes the time to document their Gator fixes to share on the Forum...I'd like to see some pics of it with the lift when you get a chance...it's also cool that you are doing your own work too...That's a pretty big job doing the CV joints on all 4 wheels...

Thanx for the pics....

Larry in MD :Jestr:

Well said Larry,

Thanks for the pics Jimmy!! :Thmup::Thmup:

JimmyMac
02-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Larry...I tryed to pay him but you know how those pets are, I can scratch him right behind the hat, or give him a beer treat, and he'll drive me round all day! Lol!

I wish I could get to it more, I have way too many projects...(is there such a thing?)....and I have to hit the priorities as selected by my Boss, Mrs. Mac. :Ysnd: Went out last weekend, had a great time...all of the new parts worked great, however, some other parts became a little jealous.... No charging system... Clutch finally became stuck in "low gear".... and the starter cleaning I performed "in the feild" at MudMuckers finally quit. After I pulled the primary cover..(I think thats what is called...clutch cover?) I found a very grooved belt surface (sheave?) and a belt that was missing chunks... so back to the parts book.

The good news is I've always wanted the high-output alternator and always wanted to learn about this CV clutch/belt thing. I also plan on documenting the change with step-by-step instructions and pictures for the "I bet I can do that myself" folks. Belt change. Clutch rebuild/replacement. Alt testing and replacement.

I have to get some more pics for ya'll but for the moment, here are the "Kustom" bearing removal pics