PDA

View Full Version : My first failure

purplewg
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I had the rod end break on the gas assist cylinder on the manual bed last night. I had a load of debris I had picked up around the place. A bunch of dead limbs a I cut up a small pine tree that had finally fell down. I dumped it and couldn't get the bed closed. Then I looked around and see the rod end on the lower end of the cylinder had broken and cylinder was wedged causing the no close deal.

Now this may have been my fault. I intentionally back loaded the bed a little so I wouldn't have to lift too hard. When I pulled the release it went right up but didn't seem to fast or anything. I assume the cylinder is the limiting stop for the bed and it snapped the rod end off.

I just dropped the dealer an email asking him to get me one and I will drop by with the old one for an exchange on one of trips by his shop. I will see if he will do that or if he wants to drive the 80 miles to my place to pick up the Gator and haul it in to fix it.:lol:

srb08
10-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I've back loaded mine for easier dumping as well. I guess I'll be more careful in the future.
Thanks for sharing, that's what makes this forum so good. I hope the dealer is reasonable about the exchange.
Best,
Steve

purplewg
10-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Dealer told me to just drop the old one off and he will take one off the XUV he has in stock and give it to me. So far so good with this dealer.

Deputy347k9
10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Purplewg; I thought you would of had the power dump?

purplewg
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Purplewg; I thought you would of had the power dump?

Who me? Look up cheap in Websters and my picture is there. :BG:

hornadylnl
10-22-2011, 05:57 PM
You jinxed me. I had the same thing yesterday. The threads stripped out of the plastic end. Deere doesn't show the end and you have to buy the whole cylinder. I'm going to do some searching on the net and see if I can find some ends. May end up getting the dump kit as the wife has trouble getting it unlatched if it's loaded back heavy.

Deputy347k9
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
OK, let's see what Mr. Webster has listed under "el cheap o", holy crap there is a pictures there, guess who! LOL, just kidding Purplewg!

Larry

hornadylnl
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM
I sent an email to AVM to see if they sell the ends or if they have a distributor that I can buy them from.

Anybody else thought of adding a cable that's just a little bit shorter than the stroke of the gas spring to keep this from happening in the future? If I don't upgrade to the power lift, I'll definitely add a cable so I don't keep having to pay $63 every time it breaks.