PDA

View Full Version : Got her about week or so ago.

trussman
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
This is my first gator and so far I am havig a ball with it. THe last couple weeks I have been adding the accessories like snow plow and sprayer. But now I am almost complete and thought I would share Madelline with you.:BG:

http://i39.tinypic.com/309r7mq.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zx45lt.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nl8p05.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/14kktxw.jpg

There are a few more things I need to add like a rear light and mirrors but I will get to that when I have time.

pahawi
11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Well optioned and great looking machine - congrats. How did you attach the radio unit to the roof?

Paul

Landscaper
11-12-2011, 08:57 PM
How do you like your rear view cam???
I was at my John Deere dealer and they had some called "CAB CAM" for around $330 I think. I did not think that was a bad price, they say alot of farmers are getting they and then in the winter they put them in there fish houses and at night they work great.

trussman
11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Well optioned and great looking machine - congrats. How did you attach the radio unit to the roof?

They gave me some brackets at no charge but they did not fit the deluxe cab, they must work for the regular ops. After a great deal of thought I decided to drill holes in the roof. It worked great and the bolts that were supplied had these special washers for just that type of installation. There is foam between the metal roof and radio which I would recommend. I also used some marine silicon around the bolt/washers to ensure a good tight fit. I painted the bolt head and washers black to match the cab. No leaks so far!

How do you like your rear view cam???

Well I haven't had it that long but so far we really like it. It has night vision IR as well and works surprisingly well. I bought mine from B&H Photo and it was recommended by another forum member. It was a little over 200.00. Was easy to hook up and everything you need comes with it.
Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568554-REG/Rear_View_Safety_Inc_RVS_770613_RVS_770613_Rear_Vi ew_Camera.html

You can even add 2 other cameras with this unit, not sure why in this application but you might need more when fishing...smile.

Deputy347k9
11-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Trussman, I think you are the envy of the Forum, a wonderful machine and extemely well optioned. That is the first rearview camera I have seen. I really really like that. I am now heading to the site. Thanks.
Larry

trussman
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Larry,
My wife and I took a long ride yesterday and even with mirrors we both agree the back up camera is one of the best options. As far as the gator is concern it really will be a working for a living gator. We own a truss plant that sits on 13 or so acres and I have been helping for years with clearing snow off this space. I am tired of freezing and I wanted something that was easy to run and make the plowing more enjoyable. This is it, from what I gather on this forum and videos we have made a good choice.
The sprayer is for weed control so it will be used for the business too. The best part is having fun and enjoying a machine like this, something we have never had. It should be fun!

Tim

I just need some snow!!!!!

Johndeere825I
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice looking machine!

Deputy347k9
11-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Tim, I am sure you are going to have a ball with this machine. I agree removing snow can be fun, expecially when you have an enclosed area with heat and wipers. I have a large snowblower on one of my John Deere tractors, complete cab with heater, wipers, defroster, radio and coffee holder. I too enjoy moving the snow, however, unlike you I am not praying for any. Good luck my friend.

Larry

Deputy347k9
11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Tim: Like you I have the side mirrors but I do see a need for the RVS camera system, especially with grandchildren! The above vendor you pasted onto your thread seems to be the lowest price on this particular unit at $219.99 with free shipping. Some on Ebay are nearly $50.00 more.

Quesitons before I order one: 1. Comes with 66 feet of extension cable, a tad long for the 825i, was you able to cut this down?

2. Where did you place the multiplexer control unit?

3. Mounting the camera underneath the bed, do you see any potential problems with wetness, vibration of forign objects hitting it?

Thank you for all the help.
Larry

trussman
11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Larry,
Yes B&H photo is a good place to buy from . I have done business with them for years and if you need to return something there is never a hassle. My golly your concern about the 66' was the same one I was faced with. I actually called the manufacture and asked if I could cut it down and what type of connector I needed. They said sure you can cut it down or buy one of our shorter lenght wire kits. He said it is S-video connector if I wanted to cut the cable, but after receiving the unit I decided against that, as this plug seem to be much more than a standard s-video to me. The other option was to buy the shorter wire kit, I think it was 30-39' in length (memory shot) but even that is way to long and B&H only had the one type with the 66' cable. I ended up using the 66' cable version and wound up the wire and it's under the seat, if you look for it you can see it but you have to looking for it or you would never know it was there. I always thought if it bothered me to much I would buy and a new end and get out my soldering iron.

I mounted mine up where the rear light would go as I am looking for general obstacles behind me. (big trusses etc) I thought of mounting it where a license plate would be but I was concerned with the glass cover getting dirty all the time. It comes with what I call a sun hood but I believe it folds down across the camera glass itself to protect it. Where it really needs to be located is right above the tailgate and pointed down at a 45 degree angle then you would see directly behind the gator and probably 10-15' back from that. I just couldn't figure out where to mount it to achive that result and not have to clean it off all the time. Maybe that is why they give you 66' of cable, so you can try everywhere before you find it's final resting place....grin
If I think about it I will post a close up photo of the camera tonight.
Oh yes, I mounted the multiplexor in the storage tray under the hood. I made quick connects for the wiring where necessary and just un plug and can take the storage compartment out if needed. You can mount it under the dash or on the firewall but this way you don't ever see it. On the multiplexor there are switches that you slide to change the view of the camera. This will let flip the image on the monitor if that makes sense. If you have more questions just send me a PM and will arrange a time to chat.

Deputy347k9
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Trussman, I think you have answered all my questions and I thank you. When time permits could you take a couple of close up pictures of the camera, monitor and multiplexer. I am going to order one as soon as I finish this. Most local stores carried the smaller version with a 3.5 inch monitor and a very cheap looking camera system. Yours was by far much better built.

Thank you very much for all the help..

Larry

trussman
11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Here you go Larry,

http://i41.tinypic.com/aoukh3.jpg
Hard to see but yo ucan see the wire under the seat, I could do a better job but this works pretty well.

http://i40.tinypic.com/qosj7b.jpg
The multi plexor in the storage compartment, I put it here since the cab window has to be open to open the hood. I doubt that will use the storage compartment that much but I might regret that I put it here. The wiring goes out the drain hole but I drilled it out to 3/4" so you can get the wires through.

http://i42.tinypic.com/jsd4l1.jpg
The base that holds the monitor has a stick on base or you can use screws. So far the stick on base works fine, this eliminates drilling a hole in the hood.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2j46j5s.jpg
There is only one cable from the monitor to the multi-plexor, I left extra here to allow for the hood to be raised.
Hope this helps!

Tim

http://i43.tinypic.com/zx8wpj.jpg
I forgot to post the picture of the rear camera.

Deputy347k9
11-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Very clean job, thanks foir the pictures as they tell the story. I like the camera high also, less chance of damage. From your pictures the location of the camera give a nice rear view. Thank you, mine is on the way!

Larry

CaptDan
11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Looks great, thanks for the pictures, I think I will be ordering 2, one for the pickup truck also !

Thanks

Dan

Deputy347k9
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Trussman, you were correct again, this morning I finally telephone B&H Foto & Eletronics direct as I did not want to put my credit info over the net. Spoke to a young man who was MORE then helpful, very polite and he represented the company in a great way. Zero shipping charges, email confirmed the order and shipping, will arrive Saturday or Monday. In closing the rep told me that if I have ANY problem what so ever, please call. Does not get better then this. Now I am excited for it to arrive so I can start the install. Another very good mod that screams safety!

Trussman, thank you for all the help and pictures.

Deputy347k9
11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Tim: System arrived today, just came in from the garage figuring where everything is going to be mounted. Very much the same as you have done. I am going to send you a PM regarding the eletrical, directions with the provided book are quite vague. I was really amazed when opening hte package, really a quality setup. A friend of mine is visitng and gave me a hand in the garage, thinks he wants to install one on his dump truck that he plows with, good idea.

Larry

trussman
11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Larry,
Most of the farmers around here have them on auger wagons, combines and trucks. A number of them have installed multiple cameras so they ca nsee inside the grain bin, behind them, and one facing the auger wagon while they unload on the run. I showed mine to one of the farmers and he told me he just paid 2300.00 for his installed. He asked me what this one cost and I told him that it was quite a bit less than that......and I would send him the link. I didn't have the heart to tell him the price, however he has a wonderful system and has a very sharp picture.

The longer I have it I am considering installing one on every forklift we have, they can be dangerous and this just might save a life.

825joe
11-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Gorgeous machine bud!!!

trussman
11-19-2011, 11:39 AM
First pic shows the wiring inside the storage tray, not the best of photos but if you look close you can see the hole that I drilled in the bottom of the compartment. All wires run through that hole. I used quick connects to take apart the ground and positive wiring. The monitor and camera just screw in to the appropiate socket on the multiplexor.

http://i39.tinypic.com/mufy0.jpg

THis phot ois taken with the storage compartment partially removed directly in front of the steering wheel. I used the blue wire clips to splice in the positive and negative wires. Actually what I am showing here is the wiring for the snowplow but it works exactly the same for the camera.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33z7f4o.jpg

A close up view of the same photo. The harness that is on this side has a number of quick connects from JD that go from one to another. SO it might start out yellow which is the positive side of the ignition circuit and change to red. To make sure use a volt meter and check it before and after you turn the key on. I am not sure if you want the camera to be able to turn on withou the key being on or not. I chose to have the key on and then the camera would turn on and stay on. BTW I did put a plug type fuse in the postive line of the camera, you can use the inline fuse that comes with it but I chose to cut that off and use the same type that is used throughout the gator. Gosh I hope this makes sense.

You can choose to have the camera turn off and on just like a car if you connect the blue wire into the reverse switch or wire that is active when the gator is in Reverse. You would have to figure out which wire or fuse connection that is.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ibm888.jpg

Deputy347k9
11-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Trussman: Just came in from the heated garage (thank God for that) where I have installed the camera on the driver's side back of poly roof, drilled the 3/4" hole for cable and installed the rubber grommet, cable from camera eletrical tied to OPS bar going down behind driver's seat. Installed the multiplexer as you did, drilled out both drain holes to 3/4" for cables. Installed the monitor on the upper leading edge of hood where the release lever is. Ran monitor cable to the multiplexer. So far a very clean job as I am going slow, measuring 4 times before drilling.

Left to do: Run the cable from the camera end to the multiplexer and install the wire harness. Before I jump into the wire harness I am going to wait for you pictures and words of wisdom.

With the components mounted I drove out through the woods checking for any vibrations, nothing. I am excited!

Deputy347k9
11-19-2011, 11:43 AM
If I had of scrolled down a tad further I would have seen you latest post, sorry for that!

Deputy347k9
11-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Trussman, I believe I now have it! At least I pray I do! I am going to splice the red and blue together then splice into the yellow wire near the steering wheel so the system is key operated only. Black wire will also be spliced into the vehicle ground wire and then tape the yellow and white wires up as I do not see me adding any other cameras.

Thank you my friend, if my slim chance I get lost I will contact you by pm. Will not finish this job until tomorrow or Monday as I have to attend a going away party for a young neighbor who just enlisted into the Army.

Larry

Deputy347k9
11-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Tim:

I am here to tell you that the system is installed and working as advertised. A friend of mine stopped in just as I finished the wire harness. We took it out in the back 40 to see how the view was while driving in the woods. As I was going across the field at about 20mph happened to look at the monitor and there was CZAR chasing daddy. Stopped and the old boy jumped up in the back. Love the system and without question would purchase again.

I want to thank you for all the pictures and advise as I went along. I actually copied your intire install. Thank you.

Larry

trussman
11-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Congrats Larry, it sounds like you did a fine job. Happy looking backwards while going forward!:BG:

Deputy347k9
11-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Trussman, last evening I took the machine out in total darkness. I was so impressed with the rear camera system! If that was mounted on the front you could drive without any headlights what so ever. That lights up the entire area behind you as if it was daylight. I am really impressed, all for just over $200.00. I no longer have to be afraid of the dark lol.

Larry

trussman
11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
You know I did not thnk much about the IR night vision that came with the cmaera unit. But you are right it works well even on a really dark night. I have a rear light installed bu not yet hooked up, I will be interested to see how the camera does when I turn on the rear light. Will the IR give me a goofy looking screen...hmmm will find out.

Right now the gator is in for a rattle fix in the driveline, JD ordered parts so I should have it back home before turkey day. Hopefully quieter too.

trussman
12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Gator made it back before thanksgiving and much quieter and no rattle.

Here is a pic of the grandkids in the gator.

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zpn0o9.jpg

CaptDan
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Very nice, and I see you are blessed with a good group of grand kids !

Dan

trussman
12-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Dan,
i come from famly where I have 30 first cousins -27 boys and 3 girls. Now I have 6 grandchildren 5 girls and one boy....sheeesh. I still have hope for more boys although I love them all.

BTW they all love the gator if you can tell by the goofy look on their faces.

Deputy347k9
12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Trussman, I envy you! At least you have one grandson as I too have 5 granddaughters! No boys and there are ZERO plans for anymore. But, I thank God everyday for the five girls. Now I have to keep that old eye on all them dirty little boys that are now starting to lurk around! :pondrn:

hornadylnl
12-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Trussman, I envy you! At least you have one grandson as I too have 5 granddaughters! No boys and there are ZERO plans for anymore. But, I thank God everyday for the five girls. Now I have to keep that old eye on all them dirty little boys that are now starting to lurk around! :pondrn:

A guy at work was talking about his 14 yo daughter dating a 17 yo that was bigger than him. We've all heard the "clean the guns" when the guys come over approach. I thought of a new one. I've got a backhoe attachment for my 4120 tractor. I thought I could dig a casket sized hole and make a cheap pine casket and make him come out there as I'm finishing up the hole to meet me. Then I'd take a tape measure to measure how tall he is and then measure the length of the casket. I'm sure that'd get their attention.

I've got a few years to hash out my plans as my daughter will be 10 in Feb.

trussman
12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
In my case the oldest is ten and not yet interested but it won't be long I am sure of that. Deputy you are only worried cause you knew what we were like when we were that age.:lol:

Hornadylnl - Love the pine box thing, perhaps get him to help you, then he will ask you about it.....I can hear it now "Well Son":BG:

hornadylnl
12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Of course, I've always liked the "Anything you do to my daughter, I'll do to you" line as well.

Deputy347k9
12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Trussman, you are correct, I do remember clearly how we all were, once long ago. I was a mother's dream come true, very polite, helping out to the point the young lady would ask who are you asking out, me or my mom? All the time I was thinking of how I want to go parking out behind the corn patch! :evil: I too like the idea of the casket!

I am very protective of the five girls with my son asking me, who died and made you the super grandfather? As all of us "matured" gents know, we are much better grandfathers then we were fathers.

trussman
12-04-2011, 09:21 PM
But he told me that he loved me Daddy!:Eek: The best thing about being older is you already know this stuff.

Corn Patch!!! holy moly --- we looked for back roads with squeaky windmills.....lol