PDA

View Full Version : m-gator

samuel
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
My m-gator is not starting it is making a low humming noise. It did this for two days and it was hard to start, but now its not starting. Also how do I change the oil? I found two drain plugs but I don't know which one is for the coolant, or the transmission oil, or the engine oil. I have the 6x4 military gator. thanks!

purplewg
11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok, here are couple guesses. Won't start? Check for a fully charged battery, check for 12 volts at the starter soleniod when you turn the key, if you have 12 v on the large solenoid terminal when you turn the key to start, short the two large posts out with a screw driver and see it wants to spin the motor over then. If it does, replace the solenoid. If it doesn't, most likely it is the starter itself.

How old is the unit?

The transmission should be separate from the engine and it will have it's own drain plug. It should be the big aluminum box with the axle connections. The engine will have its own drain plug and may actually have two depending on how the oil pan is shaped. If U shaped it will have two. I am not totally familiar with this model but if I am wrong someone will correct me. Typically the coolant is not drained from the engine but from the radiator. With this said, being a military unit is might have a coolant drain in the engine. Unscrew the plugs just enough to get a drip and see which is which. Change the oil filter at the same time as you change the oil. This should get you started.