PDA

View Full Version : Winch solenoid location

bollweevil
12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
If I could kindly ask for a reply, I am mounting my superwinch 3500, and looking for a decent place to mount the solenoid. The cables supplied (battery to solenoid)with the winch are too short to mount the solenoid under the front hood as with the jd warn instructions show. This forces me to mount the solenoid close to the battery. I know several of you have mounted the superwinch, and would like your suggestions. Also, while I'm asking, which wire do you use to power the "keyed hot" for the switch?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
North Alabama

hornadylnl
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Take a look at my Promark thread. It may answer a lot of your questions.

bollweevil
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I read the thread, and it appears you have more room under the console and into the battery compartment than I have.??? I do like the locations that you have mounted your switches. Btw, your forum name implies that you may be a reloader. I have had really good luck with hornady equipment. I use a dillon 550 for the past 20 yrs., but hornady powder measure and several dies.

Chris

jandrold
12-14-2011, 08:30 AM
I am in the middle of installing a terra 4500 and if you don't mind changing things up alittle, switch the long pair yellow/blue with the short pair red/black, I used red/yellow/blue/black tape to mark everything correctly.I have mounted the solenoid just to the right and foward of the hood latch pin. the now shorter red/black taped to show yellow/blue will reach the winch. I drilled one hole in the plastic what ever you call it just to the right of the radaitor to allow the wires to pass threw. I am also mounting the short red wire with the circuit breaker at the solenoid not the battery,still wired the same. Be careful that whole circuit breaker piece will be +HOT+ when powered up, It will need some sort of insulation around it.

Alretired
12-14-2011, 08:32 AM
I also just mounted a new Viper winch on mine. I also reversed the two sets of wires after marking them with tape. I used the longer Yellow and Blue wires to go from the battery to the solenoid. I then used the shorter Red and Black wires from the solenoid to the winch. My solenoid is located under the hood on the brace to the right and forward of the hood latch and mounted in one existing hole and one drilled hole.

bollweevil
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks. That is exactly what I ended up doing. I also put the circuit breaker inside a large balloon and zip tied each end to the wiring. This should somewhat isolate and weatherize the breaker. I am very pleased with the installation.

Chris