PDA

View Full Version : Poly Cab

apple
01-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Thinking about getting a poly cab. For those of you that have them I would appreciate any input; negative or positive. Also since I haven't gotten a quote from the dealer what is the price range . I already have the poly top. Also did dealership do the install ( and did they charge labor) or did you do the install. Would you go with the windshield wiper also. I hope everyone has a good new year. Thanks

2255puller
01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I installed the poly cab this fall and like it so far. I already had the poly top and wind shield. The back and doors were about $1,600.00 and I installed it myself. You will need to spend a little time adjusting the doors and latches for them to close and open right. Be sure that there is enough latch overlap, I had a door come open when hitting a few bumps. I have not had a chance to plow snow yet. Am hoping that with all the heat that comes off of the radiator and the fact that the cab does not seal real tight keeps the fog off of the wind shield. Will let you know.

CaptDan
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Apple,

First if you do a search there are a lot of posts about poly cabs. I think is an active thread now called soft tops that has a lot of information about various cabs. Additionally you might want to read a recent post by Deputy347k9 about a poly cab. I happen to agree with him and like the cab he is talking about.

One thing to keep in mind, and I have to be honest here I am only sharing with you, information that has been posted by others, I do not have a poly cab YET ! Yet being the key word :lol:

The John Deere doors are hinged at the rear so they open like the old suicide doors and you have to get to you bed you have to walk around the door each time you get in or out. Several of the aftermarket systems have doors that are hinged at the front and open like a normal pick up truck door.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Dan

apple
01-03-2012, 06:08 PM
thanks for the replies

duling
01-04-2012, 07:04 AM
I have the poly cab and I flat out LOVE IT... Last night it was 10degrees F and blowing snow and I took my 2yr old son for a ride to 'look for deers' in a sweatshirt and hat. The temp inside the cab was 58degrees! Once the engine warms up the heat off the radiator keeps the cab quite comfortable. I agree with the earlier post, keeping the doors adjusted is an issue that I will soon resolve with a drill and tap screw. IMHO, don't get the plastic windshiled, get the glass! I kick myself every day for not getting the glass one. The plastic sratches and having the wiper would be wonderful. Overall, having the cab has kept me dry and warm, you won't regret it.

Regulator
01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Duling is right on with his assessment of the Poly Cab...I have one too and it is great!!!....I bought the real glass windshield with the wiper, along with a real glass rear windshield, that has a sliding window it that...I am sooo glad I went with the real glass windshield and wiper as I have used the wiper a bunch since I've had it...plus, the bottom 8 inches of the glass flips up to give you ventilation in the warmer months so you get plenty of air rolling through the cab, especially with the sliding door in the rear windshield open...and, the doors come off in less than 5 seconds for when you want more fresh air....My Poly Cab is the best option that I have bought for my Gator....

Good luck...

Larry in MD :Jestr:

missouri gator
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
OK guys you have me sold, just a couple ? with the cab on and riding gravel or dirt roads is the dust an issue in the cab. Do you have to install a fan to blow on the windshield to keep it from fogging up? I have the JD no scratch poly windshield that has a turn buckle style attachment will the poly cab fit with those?

Mark

apple
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
So Duling from what you are saying you really don't need a heater??

Regulator
01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm not Duling but I myself can't imagine needing a heater in my Poly Cab here in MD...it gets down in the teens enough when winter really sets in, with plenty of wind...everytime I've been out here lately when it's been in the 30's and 40's, it still gets hot in the cab where I open the doors to air it out every now and then...that's how much heat builds up in there...I did buy a small metal blade "Trucker" fan to mount inside to keep the windshield clear of dew/moisture/condensation in case that becomes a problem...so far it hasn't even done that...I figure it could happen if I get to pushing a lot of snow at some point with opening and closing the door...if it doesn't, I can still use it to blow some cool air around!!!....there are alot of smally places that air can get into the cab, but they can be plugged up real easily with some foam strips...

2255puller
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks Regulator---Now I need to go out and buy a glass front windshield! anyone need a good poly one? I live in Noth Eastern Md. Had mine out in the blowing wind yesterday and 9 degrees this morning, stayed very nice in the cab with no heater. I actually like the fact that the cab is not sealed perfectly, I have not noticed any dust blowing in yet. I have not had a chance to plow snow with the new cab yet though. I just put rain x on my poly windshield and it worked good last winter but I guess the glass front is on my wish list!

Regulator
01-04-2012, 11:31 PM
2255Puller...you probably don't live too far from me...I am on the Upper Shore just outside of Chestertown...are you up around the Elkton/NorthEast area???...I'm just 30 miles south of Elkton...I really like the pic of your pulling tractor...one of the guys that drives truck for me does the garden tractor pulling thing with his kids...he's got his own sled and does most of the local events around this area...you might have crossed paths at some point as he goes to alot of the pulling events...My company hauls alot of grain and some liquid fertilizer...if you farm, I'm sure one of my drivers has been either to your place, or close by...

Oh yeah...I'm definitely like you in not being concerned that the cab isn't sealed real tight and has some places where air gets in...if it was, I believe I'd have to install a sunroof in the top to open up to let some of the heat out!!!...that little bit of air coming in hasn't bothered me one bit, and I really don't think too much dust is getting in that way...you definitely won't be sorry if you get a real glass windshield especially with the wiper...I can't believe how much I've used the wiper already...I even have a little spray bottle of windshield washer fluid that I keep in the cab to spray on the windshield when it gets bugged or dusted up...works great!!!

Take care, my friend...

duling
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would need a heater inside the cab. Yea, its chilly at first, but as soon as the engine warms up you are looking at a +30degree temp differential inside. I was born and raised on sport ATV's and I remember how my hands would feel like they were going to fall off while riding in the winter. I would be bundled up like the Marshmello man and still freeze! Now I only wear a sweatshirt with my trusty JD hat and NO gloves! JD can keep the $1,100 bones for the heater... I'm saving up for a glass windshield!

2255puller
01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the compliment on the puller. It is an Oliver 2255 with a 3208 Cat engine. Nothing fancy, most of the work was done in our shop with home made parts. Pulls in road gear with no problem.
I live in north eastern Harford Co near Whiteford. I have pulled at the Cecil Co. track a few times a year.
We farm 8-900 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat and hay. Risser's and Ma&PA usually haul out for us.
I am setting up a skid for the back of my gator for our new ground hog elimination device. It will have propane and ox tanks on it, fill the holes up with gas and hit the ignitor! I will post pictures when complete. We are marking ground hog holes with a gps and returning to blow them up later!

Regulator
01-06-2012, 11:13 PM
2255Puller....Make sure you post some pics of that "Ground Hog Elimination Device"....that thing sounds badass for sure!!!...I love stuff like that....that's just too cool...you've GOT to video it when you go back and blow a hole up...I'd love to come up and see that for sure!!!

That's a sweet Oliver you've got there too...those 3208 engines are tough...we run 3406's in our big trucks...all of them 550 hp with 1850 ft. lbs. of torque...I love tractor pulls, and used to go up to the Farm Show in Harrisburg every year to see them pull there when I was alot younger...now I go to local events whenever I can...It's been a while since I've been up to the Buck, and have to do that when the new season starts up again...if I ever see your tractor at an event, I will look you up and introduce myself...

I know a bunch of the Risser drivers from hauling grain all over the DelMarVa area and lots up into PA too...I bunch of Hostetters drivers too...I think I know where Whiteford is...up near Jarrettsville, just above Belair somewhere???...I remember going up through there years ago delivering liquid fertilizer, and might have run through there on a Motorcycle ride this past summer...I don't remember town names as much as I do Landmarks....when I get into "cruising mode", I just pick a direction and go taking as many backroads as I can...

Seriously...take a few video's of you blowing up ground hog holes...I just gotta see that!!!

Take care, my friend...

apple
01-07-2012, 09:14 AM
With all the feed back on this issue I pulled the trigger yesterday. I will be going with the poly cab, glass windshield, and wiper. This thing is as bad as a Harley. I have a custom with a 145 cu. in. S&S injected engine. That bike is just for show or go; not a long trip bike. My friends are trying to get me to sell it and get a dresser. I know I'm getting old but I really don't know about a dresser. I had one, a 69 pan/shovel.Sold it a man wanted it worse than I did

2255puller
01-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Regulator
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
GHDD!!!......(Groundhog hole demolition device!!!)

Cool...now you HAVE to post a video of it in action!!!

CaptDan
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Cool...now you HAVE to post a video of it in action!!!

I agree a video would be cool !

Dan

2255puller
01-17-2012, 12:27 PM
The picture that I posted was taken with everything temporarily mounted just to be sure the rack that I made would work. We did test the unit on Sunday, awesome---flames shoot out of the holes when you ignite the gas!!!!! I removed all of the components so that I could prep and paint the rack. I will post completed pictures when the whole rig is mounted in the new Gator. Video pending. I need to learn to load.

Deputy347k9
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
WOW! I will get the popcorn ready for that video! Those little critters have caused me so many problems. I usually spend hours waiting for them to pop up somewhere, then I have a 22 Magnum rifle with a scope, gets them every time. With this setup I could charge admission!:lurk:

Gator Hunter
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh yeah... I can't wait to see this thing in action!

I'm sure someone here can help you get the video posted if you run into problems.

apple
01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
blowing up ground hog dens sounds good and would like to see a video; but how did we get off the subject of poly cabs?

2255puller
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
If it helps, the groundhog elimination device will ride in the bed of a 825i with a new poly cab! I should be able to post some additional pictures tomorrow.

2255puller
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Here are a few pics of the completed groundhog rig. I will have my power ange plow on the front to level the holes out after they are blown.

2255puller
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Here are a few additional pics.

Dave764765766

Gator Hunter
01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm guessing your "Groundhog Rig" is going to work something like this...

The "Rodenator":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E&feature=related

Am I right?

Light 'em up!

2255puller
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Very similar. The system that I have has a seperate ignition device. Fill the hole up with gas and move back from the hole. You can stand 20 ft away from the hole when you light it off. I would rather not be standing at the hole when lighting it off!!

825joe
01-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Man i love that poly cab:Thmup:

Regulator
01-21-2012, 10:28 AM
825Joe...when I ordered my Poly Cab for my 825i, I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get the all glass Deluxe Cab...it was sooo much more expensive, but looked soo much better...I was thinking I had done the wrong thing and should have waited till I had the extra money to buy the Deluxe Cab....

Well, my Poly Cab came in and the dealership installed it and brought my Gator back home to me...the Poly Cab was alot better looking than I thought it would look...it fit nice and tight, and I liked how it only took like 5 seconds to remove the doors...now, after having that Poly Cab for a couple months, I am super happy that I went with it instead of the Deluxe Cab...it's lighter for one thing, and if I am going through some brush, I don't worry about it getting broken or scratched up at all...the real glass windshield and wiper are important additons that I couldn't live without now, along with that sliding glass window in the rear...both cabs are noisy from what I have heard from others like Trussman who has a sweet Deluxe Cab on his...seems like you just have to deal with that with any cab...

I am truely loving my Poly Cab, especially now that it's cold outside...I don't have a heater and I still have to open the sliding rear window to get some fresh cool air in the cab since it's so warm in there...

2255puller
01-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Plowed snow all day in my poly cab. sweat shirt jeans no gloves. High of 25 today. I don't think that i will be needing heat. Have the JD hyd. power angle plow, put 500 lb of suitcase weights in the bed. Did have a few times today when I had to stop to allow the thermal breaker in the plow reset. Anyone else having this problem? I would not trade for a glass cab

825joe
01-22-2012, 08:54 AM
If you don't mind me asking how much is the poly cab?

2255puller
01-22-2012, 10:04 AM
I had the poly top and front wind sheild. I think I paid $1,600.00 for the cab back and the doors. I put it on myself. Took about 4 hours and just about that many beers. I did have to go back to the dealer, one door came without hinges!

825joe
01-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I think that is the route I am going to go. :Thmup:

Regulator
01-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Joe...I think I have right around 2 grand in my Poly Cab...the dealership put it on...living up there in NE PA, you won't be sorry going with the Poly Cab...it'll make riding in the winter alot of fun for you instead of dealing with wind chill...

2255Puller....we didn't get as much snow as you all got evidentally...we only got about 2 inches of snow, and then it rained on top of that making a hard crust of slippery misery...luckily, it was easy to shovel off the walkways and it got just warm enough for it to melt instead of turning into ice, so I didn't have to put sand/salt/kitty litter on the sidewalks...