PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent starter problem

billy250
01-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Anybody else have this?
Gator XUV 620i, 2008, will periodically not start. Starter just spins, bendix will not engage. Bought new bendix/solenoid, installed, same problem. Put charger on battery, cranked right up. Now, putting charger on doesn't really help. Starter spins ok, but is pretty bad looking inside. Cleaned it out as best I could, and re-installed. Just doesn't seem to be a starter motor problem. And when the bendix finally engages, starter really grinds then, shazaam cranks right up. May be 10 starts before it does it again. Wish we had a closed or waterproof starter for these things. Near as I can tell, the ingition switch wire goes directly to the solenoid/bendix. All terminals and grounds freshly cleaned.
Billy

Edit: Ok, I watched as my daughter bumped the key. The bendix was engaging, but the gear wasn't spinning. Motor was turning, but gear wasn't spinning. Verified on a bench test. I see where they actually sell a 'starter drive', but I'm going with a new starter. Anybody know why JD wants $600 and you can buy new online for like $75?