PDA

View Full Version : Finally get to try out plow!!

kingwood1
02-12-2012, 06:38 PM
finally got enough snow to try out new boss vee and to tell ya the truth i was ready to put a for sale sign on it after about 30 min (i have little patience) but after some very minor tweekin with the plow shoes and adding about 400lbs to the bed i was ready to try again, what a difference i was plowing snow this time and not gravel!! and only needed 4 wheel drive once and that was to plow wind rows through the field now alls i need is a cab. LET IT SNOW!!!

Deputy347k9
02-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Without quesiton I bet you do need a cab! Cleaning snow without one can be a chilling experience! :OhNoes:

Larry from ME

Regulator
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Not sure where you live, but if it's cold enough to snow, then it's the same cold as anywhere else...and that is COLD!!!...hehehe...not sure I could do the snow plowing thing without a cab anymore...I used to do it many years ago with farm tractors, and even a Cat Bulldozer when the snow drifted a road shut one year back in the late 70's...the cold isn't what bothers me as much as the damn wind does...when you combine the two, I am pretty much miserable....A windshield is some help if it is blocking most of the wind, but nothing beats the warmth of a full enclosure in the winter-time....it'a an expensive option when you buy it, but well worth saving your pennies for...

Trussman said his was alot better after he put 400 or 500 lbs. of ballast in his bed...those Boss V-Plows are alot of weight hanging on the front of a Gator...they have to be the best looking and working of any of the plows for our Gators though...I kinda wish we had enough snow to justify buying a Boss Plow, but we don't here in MD, so that's OK too....an analogy for that is like my work-out routine motto..."No pain, no pain"...

Larry in MD :Jestr:

ratrod
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't have a cab on my gator and I've plowed snow a few times and it hasn't been to bad. The gator and BOSS setup is just so fast your done plowing by the time you start to get cold.....:Thmup:

Regulator
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Ratrod....come on now...you live in Minnesota....you all go around in bare feet wearing shorts and tank tops when it's above 32 degree's!!!....hahaha!!!....You "Northerners" can stand that cold weather alot better than us fair weather riders that live south of the Mason Dixon Line....I am freezing my ass off when it gets below 40 degree's!!!!

Aren't these your 4 seasons up there???...You know....almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction??? :OhNoes:

I'm just bustin' yer 'nads....I have alot of respect for folks who live up in the Northern States year 'round....Michigan, Minnesota, The Dakota's, Maine, and anywhere in upstate New York where they get those killer "lake effect" blizzards!!!...You are a better man than me, most certainly!!!

take care, my friend...

ratrod
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
We actually haven't had much of a winter this year, we've had maybe a foot of snow total since mid December. And it really hasn't been all that cold. Usually all of February is in the double digits below zero here and we've had maybe 5 days were it was cold.

Regulator
02-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Ratrod...we are in the same boat here....it's been in the 40's and 50's way more than it's been in the 30's...we haven't had any accumulation of snow....just a dusting once or twice...it's been more like a mild Fall than a Winter....I keep thinking that the end of February and the beginning of March might turn brutal on us!!!

It's been the weirdest, calmest Winter that I can remember so far....I blame it on me buying a new snow blower for my 545X garden tractor at the end of last year, and then buying my Gator with the snow plow this year...that was a sure fire way to guarantee us to get no snow at all....if I didn't have any means to move snow, we would be assh*#e deep in it...

CaptDan
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Worst snow storm we have had this season was back in October 2011 - Halloween Weekend - since then nothing really !

Dan - NJ

Gator Hunter
02-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm not complaining, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was hoping to really try out the new Boss plow some more in Wisconsin on some big snow. So far we have only received 17 inches of snow this winter, with alot of melts in-between Last year we had 45 inches by now. Unreal. I too blame it on all of us buying these new rides with plows! Ha!

Pretty tough to ride a snowmobile with no snow this winter as well. But it's made it easier to get around on the lakes icefishing!

Kingwood1 - glad you had better luck with your plow after adding weight and setting the shoes. I plow a very long gravel driveway (easement road which is about 1/3 of a mile) and I typically try to pack the first snow (3-4) inches with my truck prior to putting a plow on it and that was true when I was using a little 42" plow on an ATV. I have over 500lbs in the bed of my Gator to offset the 400lb Boss plow. Huge difference. Good luck to ya.

Deputy347k9
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Gents I am here to tell you that Maine has experienced the very same type of winter, very little snow. I have used my tractor only 4 times, really only need to use it twice but what to hell! What really gets me is our local road crews: Even though the winter has been very mild it seems every time we get just flurries the crews are out dumping tons of salt! Sort of like, "we have to make our overtime somehow, or let's spend it we have it"! One day last week I was retuning home and the outside temp was just about 40 degrees with a llittle drizzle. In front of me was a salt truck just dumping away. Was told we are only trying to make it safe just in case the temp drops tonight!

I need another cup of coffee so I will stop sounding off! :Kaffee:

Larry from ME

trussman
02-15-2012, 08:20 PM
BRRRRRRR no CAB I have to say that is how I have been plowing for years but no more baby!. Love the cab and actually I am in my short sleeves and smoking my cigar. You need a cab if you are plowing this way, keeps from getting a downdraft on the cigar and turning green :BG:

Deputy347k9
02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Now you have an enclosed cab and heat, just think of the many things you can now do! Talk to the wife she might want to go out on a moon lit night! Go for it!!! :Brrs:

Larry from ME