PDA

View Full Version : New XUV 550 "Ridge Runner" Build-Up

mountaingoat
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
881882883Hi all, here are some pics of my new XUV 550 sitting at the dealers waiting for options to be installed. This unit is so new that it's taking forever for the dealer to get the options ordered. That's to be expected. While I wait i've begun designing and fabricating some things for it, such as, a roll down overhead light bar, fold-in mirrors. pre-runner spare tire rack, removable doors, side rails, and more. I'll post pics as things progress. I'm new here so it's taking awhile to find my way around the site. Thanks, mountaingoat.

Deputy347k9
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks good on the showroom floor, now to get it on the road. Another man bites the dust!!

Larry from ME

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Hello all. Well my 550 finally arrived last week after two month in the showroom! My warranty was reset to date of delivery, and all is well. Understandably any new model line will lag in respect to available accessories, and in guessing how much response there will be to that model line. I'm happy to say this machine is a perfect fit as a platform for a "Ridge Runner"! Since top end speed isn't an issue on rough class 4 roads, wooded ,and rocky mountain roads, and trails. There is plenty of low end torque, and the short wheel base handles dips and twists well. I was surprised at the civilized ride from it's suspension, when I could find a flat spot! Steering is quick and effortless. Everything is within easy reach, and it's cavernous entrance opening is great for this "Old Chunky Guy". I believe J D will enjoy brisk sales from this little Green Jewel, as it is well build, affordable, and the aggressives body lines will catch the eye of the younger crowd. The last week has seen a steady stream of Fedex, and UPS deliveries of parts for building my own "Mountain Runner" accessories. Swing-in mirrors, folding light bar, in bed tire rack, 4 pt harness bar with head rests , OEM Deere buckets,along with seat sliders and more. Everything built as light as possible. When the cold Vermont spring warms a bit, I'll crank up my metal fabricating equipment, and post things as they are built. Well time to go do some chores, and find another excuse to take out the Gator! mountaingoat.1007

plateauman57
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Nice looking machine mountaingoat. I almost went with the 550 but overall the 825i was better for my needs....work first and then play. (if only i could have both machines) :-) plus i liked the water cooled vs. air cooled and the larger dump bed among a few other things. hope you enjoy it and have lots of luck with it.

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks, and Yep, that's the great thing about Deere, they now have a full selection of vehicles to suit everyone's needs. For the speed freaks among us, spring should bring one of the quickest UTVs to date with the RSX 850I. No place to wring out one of those out where I live though. mountaingoat.

pugwash4
04-07-2012, 08:23 PM
hey mountaingoat that is one nice looking gator you have. wish they had something like that when i got the 850 D. then again the 850 is payed for :Ysnd:

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Deere did a good job on the 550. As a cross over it will give a bit of everything, light work, transportation, and some fun on the trail, and off road. Glad I was able to pick up the easy financing deal. mountaingoat.

Redbone
04-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Nice rig m-goat. I looked at a 550 and liked the styling (and the price) but, like p-man57 said, I needed a much larger dump bed capacity and the liquid cooled engine for our farming operation. Plus, I like the 50 hp, too. I would have liked to get a diesel but the gasser was more in my budget. I like the looks of your 550 and your plans for it! Good Luck!

RB

Kiwi06
04-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Glad it finally came in! I'm with a lot of the others who had to "settle" for the 825i. :BG: I'm quite pleased as it is a ranch workhorse first and a fun machine second. I really do like the looks of the 550, and I wish the 825i had the cockpit ergonomics of the 550! (Still have only seen the 550 S4 in these parts.)

I'm looking forward to seeing your updates as you assemble your Ridge Runner!

- Steve in windy CO

mountaingoat
04-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks all, I'll keep updating, and see you on the trail! mountaingoat.

kubes14060
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm currently in the market for an SUV and I like the smaller size of the 550. I am going to use mine mostly just for fun around my property with a little bit of light work mixed in.

How does the 550 do as far as power? I'm not at all a speed freak, but I don't want to get something that is undersized!

I'm concerned that it is not EFI as well!? Is EFI a big deal?

Also....I know its around 550cc and has 16 h.p but how does the Polaris Ranger have a around a 500cc engine that advertises 28 h.p? I don't know a ton about engines and stuff....but I could not really get an answer from the few people that I talked to.

Thanks and have fun with the machine!!

If anyone else has info on the horsepower thing...please chime in as well.

Fredartic
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Kubes14060, like you, I'm wondering for the EFI and for the Ranger 500. So, your comments, please. Thanks