PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get 2002 trail gator into gear

e_824
03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
It starts and runs fine, and has since we bought it new. This week I started it and it will not go into gear. I have a solid link to the transmission and can change gears without issue with the engine off.
With the engine on and I try to shift into forward, the gears grind. They grind hard enough that something's going to break if I force it.
With the engine on and I try to shift it into reverse, it jumps into gear and shuts the engine down. Not a stall, but a hard shut down.

Could this be a belt, idle, or pulley issue?

Thanks All!!

purplewg
03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Typically this is a sign the clutch is not releasing when it goes in with the engine off but not when running. The part that confuses me a bit is the fact that is shuts the engine down. If the brake is not on does the cart want to take off instead of shut the engine down?

Suffolk Dave
03-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes the idle and clutches could cause problems entering gear. With the engine idleing at proper slow speed idle set point for your engine you should see no movement of the drive belt. If the drive clutch is engageing at idle it is worn and needs alignment/repair/replace. The primary drive clutch should engage the drive belt between 1350 and 1600 rpm. Check this first and reply.
Suffolk Dave

allenflucas
04-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I have a 2011 825i , at start up , the idle speed goes up to 1500 rpms and wont go in get gear, untill it comes down to at least 1200rpms is there anyway stop this from happening?

Dane
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Is this a new problem for your 825?

I assume you have a similar problem to the OP. The front/drive clutch is centrifugal and probably engaging at that higher rpm, turning the drive belt and putting tension on the transmission and not letting it shift into gear. When the rpm drops the clutch lets go and the drive belt stops turning allowing it into gear. I'd say the solution is to not put it into gear when the engine is at high idle unless this is a new problem in which case something else is probably going on.

dieselsmith
04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
All of them rev high at start up then drop down.

purplewg
04-08-2013, 07:27 AM
I think the manual on the 825 says do no put in gear until idling at 1225 or something like that.