PDA

View Full Version : New HPX Gas or diesel

Jack
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Visited dealer yesterday and saw a nice HPX. Thinking about moving up from an older (1400 hrs) 4X2. Went to review on line and the only one I saw on the JD web was diesel. Have they always had both gas and diesel or is the gas one a left over?

hornadylnl
03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd seriously consider going with the XUV over the HPX. For the 2 diesels, you're looking at about $1500 more but you get 6.5 more hp, 30% more cargo capacity and 5" more ground clearance. Also, you get 4 wheel independant suspension vs the straight axle in the HPX. I have an 855D and love it.

Kiwi06
03-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Visited dealer yesterday and saw a nice HPX. Thinking about moving up from an older (1400 hrs) 4X2. Went to review on line and the only one I saw on the JD web was diesel. Have they always had both gas and diesel or is the gas one a left over?

I don't know about "always", but they've had both for a while and still do. (Check the JD site again as it has been "updated" - still sucks; they really need a whole new web design group! - and I was able to find the HPX diesel/gas option in the "build your own" section.)

My 2012 brochure (much easier read then the website) also lists both diesel and gas. Specs in the brochure show the gas is a 617cc 21 hp liquid cooled twin. Base weight is 1295 lb with a payload of 1400 lb (400 for occupants and 1000 for cargo box).

In response to hornadylnl, I too have an XUV (the 825i) and love it. To me, $1500 is a significant chunk of change, however, if you don't need the extras. Also, the list price difference between the gas HPX and least expensive XUV (the 615i) balloons to almost $2500. Further, I'm betting that Jack can get a better "deal" for the HPX on the lot vs an XUV. I actually would have seriously considered an HPX had the low hour trade-ins that my had were equipped with OPS. (The 2012 HPX comes with OPS standard.) The HPX is smaller and lighter than the XUV, so you get trade-offs. For me, I yearned for the suspension and speed of the XUV, and when I could get a big discount for a "demo" machine, that sealed my decision (still well more than an HPX would have cost me, but...). (The dealer also had some low-hour trade-in '10 or '11 HPXs that might have swayed me had they had OPS - which was optional earlier but is standard for 2012.)

I think you'll be really pleased with the HPX from your dealer. Since you've got so much time on the 4x2, you certainly don't need 4WD, but I think you'll find it handy. I think the other enhancements from over the years will really please you too.

Best of luck in your decision and purchase (if you go that route)!!! :cool:

- Steve in sunny CO