PDA

View Full Version : "Ridge Runner" build-up.

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 03:00 PM
10081009Hi All, my 550 is now home, and here are a couple of shots before my "Ridge Runner" build-up.

WOEII
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Very nice and welcome. I think you are our first member that owns one! :hray:
Interesting lights on the top back. Brake lights and reflectors? :lurk:

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks. The rear lights are turn signal, 4 way, back up, and brake, all LED. Neat little low profile units.

Deputy347k9
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Very nice looking machine, I see the lights and winch! What's next and what is your plans for the machine?

Larry in ME

mountaingoat
04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks, and well, since nothing much is out there after market, I'll just have to design, and build some things. The basic Idea for this little Gator is to build it up as a "Ridge Runner". I live on top of a mountain in Vermont with plenty of woods, trails, and dirt roads. Protection for lighting, mirrors, body, and occupants is first. Night running on trails requires some good lighting. The first option on the 550 was the heavy duty alternator. There are two Hella x4000 on the bumper and there will be three more on the roof. Since this is a small horse power UTV I'll keep an eye on weight, building things strong but light. Plans call for a folding roof light bar, bed mount spare tire rack, fold-in tube mirrors, OEM Deere buckets with sliders, and a 4pt harness rail including adjustable head rests. Later will come doors, and a little HP tweaking. It's all great fun, and I'll post as I do the build up. mountaingoat

mountaingoat
09-07-2012, 09:50 AM
"Ridge Runner" Gator Done. 14131414141514161417 mountaingoat.

Dane
09-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Ow come on. There has to be something else you want to do to it...

Your Gator looks really nice.

mountaingoat
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks:Blsh:, there's always something else to do, but the trick is to know when to stop! Next spring a few small safty items, possably also doors. Winters comming so time to ready for the other things, like building Weaving equipment. If you stay busy enough you'll forget how old you are! mountaingoat.

Dane
09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
When I did my sound insulation I really stripped my 550 and noticed all the brackets and attach points not being used. This afternoon I stopped by my dealer and drove the new RSX and talked a while. The salesman said our 550's have the same frame and sure enough those brackets near where the seat belt reels are on the 550 is where the RSX door latch pins and bumpers go. If you are up to parts prices I think adding RSX doors is a real possibility.

What weaving equipment are you building?

mountaingoat
09-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey Dane. I spotted the abundance of mounting points, and brackets when I first got my 550. Since the RSX, and 550 do share a common platform there's lots of possibility's! As far as the weaving goes, I build most all equipment assorted with rug weaving, looms,shuttles,winders,spool racks, etc. I manage a group called "Home Built Equipment" on "Weavolution". They know me there a "TheLoominary". If you know a weaver, send them over! mountaingoat.

Dane
09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I live in a small southern, ex-textile southern town. It's hard to go into an old building without finding a commercial sewing machine or massive weaver.

mountaingoat
09-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Yep, I hear you. My equipment is more in a home size floor loom. With the new Gator I'm able to comb the mountain trails for plants to use in natural dyes. Another good excuse to enjoy my 550! mountaingoat.