PDA

View Full Version : Good to be Here

assquatch20
04-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi all, figured I'd go ahead and join up. Our family has been using a "gift" Gator for about 3 years now as the owner asked us to look over his land and is/was never home. Haven't really seen the guy in over a year at least, and I'm starting to take more interest in the Gator than before. I'll tell you guys about myself first I guess.

I'm currently a college student in Tennessee majoring in applied engineering. I really enjoy motorcycles and playing guitar and I'm not half bad at either. I'm a bit useless in most other areas, but I like working on stuff and have a decent knowledge of stuff with moving parts. About why I'm here though...

I can post threads in the appropriate sections about my questions, but I do need to figure out which Gator I have. I gathered the PIN from the rear of the thing, but it doesn't really tell me much. It's a 6x4 diesel with the Yanmar I believe, electric dump bed, has the big canopy roof that someone stuck a rotating safety light on. The light has made a low spot that dumps its rain when you put it in gear, and obviously the light wasn't waterproof as it doesn't work anymore. Hitch on the back with a brush guard up front and some golf course decal. It doesn't seem to be in bad shape aside from some scuffed plastic, one of the tailgate hooks missing, and the windshield someone threw one there cracked from the mounting bolts pretty quick when we started doing woods work with it. It's got the brake lights/turn signals and headlights (I think headlights are standard?) and just past 300 hours on it.

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping to fool with maybe over the summer break. I'm guessing it's a TH series, but I don't know if it gets more specific than that or what I should/shouldn't look for if I'm shopping online for parts and accessories. If anyone has any idea what kinda price something like this would go for, I am a little curious. I'm looking to at least give the man a little bit of money for it.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope to learn a lot here.

EDIT: Thanks to a post from Suffolk Dave, I can already tell that it's a 2000 6x4 model. Now I really need to find out what accessories are compatible.

Deputy347k9
04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the John Deere Forum. I am sure you will find many members here that really enjoy helping others. As we too look forward to your advise.

Larry in ME:Hwdy:

Kiwi06
04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
As a tinkerer myself, sounds like you have a fun project vehicle. (Always more fun when the project already runs as is! :BG:) I can't help you with your questions, but I do want to give you a warm welcome to the forum! I'm sure others can help you out. In the mean time, I wish you loads of fun with your old machine!

- Steve in calm (for a little while) CO

Regulator
04-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome!!!...good to see you joined...you'll have some fun here for sure...

Remember...we LOVE pictures...we are like kids with a new picture book...we want to see them all!!!

Larry in MD :Jestr:

WOEII
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
assquatch :rofl:
welcome to the forum! :Chers:

plateauman57
04-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Welcome fellow Tennessean. Hope you enjoy your project.

assquatch20
04-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Welcome fellow Tennessean. Hope you enjoy your project.

Oh, you're on the plateau too. Whereabouts?

plateauman57
04-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Oh, you're on the plateau too. Whereabouts?

Fentress county, south end.

assquatch20
04-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Fentress county, south end.

Well how about that. I'm back and forth between Putnam and home, but home (and the Gator) are in Overton, right off 52.