PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hard top roof? Any tips?

er456
04-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi all! First post here. I'm wanting a hard top for my 620i and don't want to pay the price for a new Deere one.
Has anyone made their own and if so how did you go about it? I'm thinking a plastic truck bedliner could be made
to work with some cutting/heating/bending.
Any tips or advice?

Skillet23
04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
er456,

Welcome!

I don't know what kind of price range you would be willing to spend, but there are several other vendors that offer tops that will fit the new Gator 825i and 625i. From my research and checking out several of the post on this forum it seems they range from $275 - $800. It would all depend on what you want to spend, what you want to do and where you are willing to go (terrain wise).

To me, going with a pre-fabricated top offers the advantages of a more exact fit and the properly tested mounting hardware.

Also, you might want to look into a windshield if you don't have one, and again I would make the suggestion of purchasing a tempered glass windshield instead of a poly windshield. From personal experience and from post I have read on these forums, the poly windshields tend to get scratched often and it makes it harder to see when riding into the sun. That's why I changed my poly windshield from John Deere out to an after market tempered class windshield (like automobile windshield).

I'm sure more of these fine folks will post with ideas and suggestions. Just take your time and surf through these forums and you can gather lots of info.

David in TX

Deputy347k9
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I think "Dave from Tx" is right on the money. Considering the cost of the material and the amount of time it's going to take you, I woud be shopping around. If you were close by I would give you a good deal on a top and windshield, if I had to do it over again I would invest in a "Prosum enclosed Cab". With them you don't have to dish out the money all it once, you can pruchase one component at a time. Solid glass windshield, wipers, glass sliding rear window, great doors and top too!

Trust me, you will want a windshield after time. Especially once you get caught in the rain or snow. This winter I would have loved a heater too!!

Hind site is 20/20! Of course at my age it's no doubt 20/400!

Larry in Me:Hwdy:

plateauman57
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Larry in ME said it. Make sure you make the right choice now. I hope within the next few weeks to put my top, windshield, and back screen up for sale....that's when i'm hoping to start buying the Prossum items. Depending on your use the JD poly top might be just fine, but I eventually want a full cab so am planning on going to the Prossum system as soon as I can. good luck.

er456
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome and responses. I've had my Gator for a few years now; this forum wasn't around when I got it. I've got the black special edition so I don't want anything that looks too cheesy. I'm really only interested in the top and don't want a fabric one. If any of you guys know of a deal on a JD poly roof let me know.

pugwash4
05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
i used a old oil drum that you would see for heating you house. used half for roof and other half for a snow plow worked great would like to post some pic but have a hard time getting them on maybe if my wife is feeling ok i can see if she can help me get some up.i do have some pic on the facebook page. what i like about a steel roof is it will not brake in the cool when or if you hit something like a tree branch.i used the trim you can buy that is for around the door of a car or truck for the edge. it took me an another guy a evening in the garage with a case of beer to but it together. all we used was a drill an a grinder i also used rock gaurd and black paint you could line x it aswell. good luck o i have a windshield aswell
john

Kiwi06
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Personally, I've got the JD poly roof and love it - no plans for a full cab for me, so it works perfectly. With the number of people who are wanting to upgrade, maybe you could find a good deal on a used one. You should verify, but I believe the roof is the same for the 620i as the 625i/825i/855D. Since you don't want "cheesy", I think you'll be much happier with a manufactured one than something you make out of bed liner. I have seen some other brands (sorry, don't know what) that look nice too.

- Steve in cloudy CO