PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs electrical help

Backroadbomber
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi my name is Dan I'm from buffalo new York. I just bought a 2001 gator 4x2 as a project (it was in a barn fire) and need a little wiring help. I have the Kawasaki fe250d 8hp engine and there's 3 wires coming outta the stator. Two are green with white stripes and the other's black. I have the wiring diagram from the dealer so I know the two green/white go to the vtage regulator and I'm wondering if it matters which way? If it does then Kawasaki wasn't very smart making them the same color. Also, is the black one just a ground that I should put to the frame or battery? With the gator I also got a new voltage regulator part number am126304, except the colors are different than the wiring diagram from the dealer. The vr's supposed to have twO blue wires with white strips going to the stator, a positive (red) negative (black) and two outputs (yellow). Instead I have the two yellow, red, and black, but have a red with blue stripe and a brown. So I was wondering how to hook it up so it will charge the battery. I won't have a neutral safety switch, brake light, diff lock light, etc. so it would be stupid for me to buy a wiring harness for almost $300 when I only need about 15 total feet of wire.

Kiwi06
05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey Backroadbomber,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I've left this as marked to reply, but didn't get around to it before. :Blsh:

Assuming you haven't just gone ahead and hooked up the wires, the green/white wires are interchangeable. The stator puts out AC, and those will just be the opposite phases of current. The regulator both converts to DC and regulates the voltage. (Old generators put out DC, which meant less work for the "regulator", but was lots less efficient. Another benefit of alternators is that you can run them forward or backward and still get the same voltage out of them. :cool:)

- Steve in windy CO