PDA

View Full Version : Impatient, ZERKS, I'm a JERK, all about LUBRICATION...

RMOSSSO1
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
:hsu:I went as far as I care to go with my second grease job of my 825i Gator.

As info, my machine Date of Manufacture was 09/14/2010. I took delivery 10/27/2010. And yes, it is the 2011 GATOR.

A couple points and then a couple questions: If I add up all the lubrication locations in my Service book I come up with 14 + 6 + 8 + 4 + (either 2 or 4 on the drive shaft), and first a question.

As the book says, did John Deere convert to "bonded no-grease fitting joints" in later machines as my book states? If so, you guys that have the later model 825 should go to church (or go to church more often) If possible, please list your D.O.M. and zerks or sealed joints?

Second question, anyone that has seen the zerk fittings on the front and rear drive shaft knows how difficult it is in such a narrow space. HOW MANY zerks have you found on the front drive line? And, how many zerks have you found on the rear drive line? I only found one zerk on the front and one on the back. My Service book seems to indicate two fittings front and two rear, but I could not find them????

Finally, as much as I want to preserve my investment in my GATOR which I really think is a great piece of equipment, has anyone, ACTUALLY pulled the rear tires to grease the two fittings on each side. I think manufacturing a vehicle that requires the tires to be removed to do normal service lubrication is ludicrous and incredible. How many times do you take the tires off before you screw up the bolts, et cetera. I think J.D. had their engineering head up their BUTT with this design, IMHO!

Any comments appreciated.:strpot::Cnfsd::strpot:

825joe
05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I have a 90 degree fitting I use to grease the zerks by the rear tires. I don't think it is a design flaw at all. You just need the correct tools.

RMOSSSO1
05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
I have a 90 degree fitting I use to grease the zerks by the rear tires. I don't think it is a design flaw at all. You just need the correct tools.

Joe: Page 34 J.D.,Operator's Manual verbatum:
2. Block front tire and back.
3. Raise rear of machine with a safe lifting device...
4. Remove rear wheel bolts.
5. Remove rear wheels.
6. Using a grease gun, apply grease to joints throught the grease fittings....
7.8.9.10. reverse procedure.
11. Tighten wheel bolts to: Sport 105 lb-ft)

As I said, this is NUTZ! Further, with a 90 degree fitting, I honestly believe you cannot get the back two zerks, even with a 90 and if you put on a 45 degree zerk. Again, IMHO...
Rich

825joe
05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I have done it so im not sure what you are looking at. I have the adapter with the slot at the end for tight places. Works just fine. Also for as often as they need to be greased, which isn't that often it should not be an issue.

RMOSSSO1
05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Joe: What do you recommend time period for grease? I don't have a lot of hours on my machine, but I been thru dust, mud, water, snow,salt, etc., and red Georgia Clay. To me, every six months is a minimum? Your thoughts?

I have done it so im not sure what you are looking at. I have the adapter with the slot at the end for tight places. Works just fine. Also for as often as they need to be greased, which isn't that often it should not be an issue.

GATORDONE
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Install 45 degree grease fittings and your problem will be resolved, That is what i have done on several machines. If you are running in very dusty or wet conditions grease them more often, You will not hurt anything if you over grease it. There is only 2 zerks on the front drive shaft and the rest are on the suspention arms.:Thmup:

RMOSSSO1
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Install 45 degree grease fittings and your problem will be resolved, That is what i have done on several machines. If you are running in very dusty or wet conditions grease them more often, You will not hurt anything if you over grease it. There is only 2 zerks on the front drive shaft and the rest are on the suspention arms.:Thmup:

Gatordone:

One of my very best friends lives in DESMOINES, so to start on a very friendly note. BUT HONEST, on my MOTHER'S grave, today, I greased one on the front drive shaft, and after removing the drive belt cover, one on the rear drive shaft. Beyond, towards the back of the pillow block bearing. Look at my original post. What is the D.O.M. on your machine? I cannot help feeling that there were so many orders for the new GATOR that JD pressed the NOW button, and whatever was available was used.

P.S. And, perhaps this has something to do with the drive shaft failure which has been posted. (i.e. I also noted, there was NO GREASE in the rear drive shaft, bone dry)

THX,
Rich :Ysnd::Ysnd::Ysnd:

GATORDONE
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
The d.o.m. on my 825i is 2-18-2011, I was wrong on the front drive shaft, it only has 1 zerk on the front (the whole shaft assy was replaced last summer). The rear is a sealed boot like the outer wheel drive shafts are. They did eliminate the grease zerks on the front & rear suspension arms on 2012 machines. Why i don't know! :Cnfsd:

RMOSSSO1
05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
The d.o.m. on my 825i is 2-18-2011, I was wrong on the front drive shaft, it only has 1 zerk on the front (the whole shaft assy was replaced last summer). The rear is a sealed boot like the outer wheel drive shafts are. They did eliminate the grease zerks on the front & rear suspension arms on 2012 machines. Why i don't know! :Cnfsd:

If you read my first post, my service book says they were going to replace all the zerks with sealed joints. Looks like they did do part of it. My rear drive shaft is covered over by the drive belt cover. It was a bear to get it off. Not physical, more mental, trying to get a ratchet, ratchet wrench, or anything on it. The top bolt I used a 12" 3/8" drive extension, and then that one was easy. The bottom one had a screw about 1 1/2" long, and finally with a ratchet wrench I got 'er out.

Thanks for info. I hope we get some more replies...:Ysnd:

P. S. If yours is covered, is it still inside the belt cover, or did they re do the drive belt cover????

825joe
05-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Joe: What do you recommend time period for grease? I don't have a lot of hours on my machine, but I been thru dust, mud, water, snow,salt, etc., and red Georgia Clay. To me, every six months is a minimum? Your thoughts?

I would say it depends on what type of conditions you ride in. Like you said if you ride in a lot of water and mud, checking the grease by pumping a squirt in and seeing if water or debris comes out is a good indicator. If clean grease seeps out then i would say you are good to go. That is how I check the bushings.

825joe
05-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Wow....I wonder why they went to sealed units. I thought greasable bushings were better.

dieselsmith
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
This could be a game changer for me ordering another one. I strongly believe in greasing. Same as oiling vehicles from northern states:cuss:

RMOSSSO1
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
dieselsmith:

From my life's experience. First SUBARU with their sealed axle design. NEVER GREASE 'em. Last 50kmiles plus. Next, on my FORD F-250, only two zerks in the front end, all else sealed. I never experienced a problem with either of those vehicles, SUBARU (five new units) or FORD (six new in the last ten years).

BE STRONG, as we age, we have to adapt to the new technology. GREASE is something you and I remember, but alas, the computer generation doesn't need to know. I have five grease guns. Probably leave them to my DOG!:BG::BG:

dieselsmith
05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm only 34 but I am old school. Subarus and F-250s dont go through swamps and mudholes. Or are constantly subjected to the abuse a Gator does. I look at grease in all those joints as a way to "flush" out the water mud and crap. I had a John Deere 455 diesel garden tractor with 1800+ hrs all on the original deck spindles----lots and lots of grease! Look how long the cheap o JD mowers last from Home Depot with no greaseable deck spindles-----about 100 hrs. Just my opinion, but it seems to work!

RMOSSSO1
05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
dieselsmth:
I understand and cannot disagree with you, don't change, but also, don't worry about the sealed joints.

Regarding SUBARUs not going where GATORS go, I can only say I have a 43 year old son. I had several SUBARUs as he was in high school. I remember one of my vehicles that I still have the title. The auto succumbed to damage on four sides, top and bottom, but "son" drove it home. Years ago, I wanted to make that SUBARU a GATOR, but at that time I had neither the time nor the money to do it.

My ATVing started back in the 70's with one of the first AZTECs with a 440 JLO engine. I could run deer and keep up!

RMOSSSO1
05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
This could be a game changer for me ordering another one. I strongly believe in greasing. Same as oiling vehicles from northern states:cuss:

Diesel: Stopped at JD today to see if my floor mats were in. Looked at a new 825i. I am afraid I now completely agree with you. IT WOULD APPEAR, at least on the suspension, that the zerks are gone and now there is a bolt pin thru a sleeve, with NO grease fitting. I am now happier to be able to grease my machine. I pointed it out to JD rep. He shrugged shoulders !!!!
Rich :hdscrh::hdscrh::hdscrh:

dieselsmith
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Great, I may bail on a new one. Never should have sold my first one.