PDA

View Full Version : "Ridge Runner" Bucket Seats

mountaingoat
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
1156115711581159Hi All. Since the weather here in Vermont has been so wet as of late, I decided to do some inside work on the 550 seating. While the stock bench seat is actually quite comfortable it lacks the lower lumbar support offered by bucket seats, and also the overall performance feel I'm looking for. I chose to stay with the buckets offered by Deere rather than one of the many vinyl performance seats offered after-market for a couple of reasons. First I want the "Ridge Runner" to look more or less "Factory", as though Deere would have taken the 550 another step toward performance, and there is also the factor of "fit". Anyone having ever experienced the "stuck chair syndrome" after attending an elementary school parent teacher conference, only to rise being followed with the offending under sized seating will attest to the need for a proper seat "fit". After-market "Racing" buckets tend to be on the tight side, with their design intended to enclose the average occupant with side bolsters, and such. The Deere buckets tend to fit well even for the hearty-er of us. The buckets were mounted on Deere brackets after purchasing a second set that match the ones of the bench. Some minor slotting of the brackets to match the threaded seat inserts, and a bit of trimming the plastic fairing was all that was needed. The greatest amount of work was in removing most of the plastic fairings surrounding the seating to remove the bench back frame. The overall look is indeed "factory", and I'm sure buckets for the 550 will be offered by Deere eventually. Adjustable headrests are in the works. mountaungoat

srb08
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Looks good, nice work.
Best,
Steve

mountaingoat
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks! :BG: mountaingoat.