PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Sandyman48
06-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi. I have been lurking here for a month or so trying to learn as much as I can about these Gators. I plan to get one This fall or next spring. Just sure what model would be the correct one for us. We are retired and plan to use it mostly on the trails in Eastern and Northern Ontario. Just want to get out and go fishing and exploring. I keep going back and forth between the 825i and the 550. Any suggestions and/or warnings would be appreciated.

Sandy C:Hwdy:

Deputy347k9
06-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the Forum and my best wishes on your upcoming decision. Speaking for myself, I own an 825i and could not imagine any other machine. Has the power to do anything that I desire, hauling out firewood, covering various types of terrain while metal detecting as well has using daily on our farm. Our farm is under contract as we are relocating to NC, everything on the farm is being sold off EXCEPT the 825i and my new enclosed aluminum trailer. They are going south where I will continue my hobby of metal detecting. I just wish I had seen the Forum before I ordered my machine. I would have done things differently. I purchased a poly top, no scratch windshield and back panal. I would not have spent that money, I would have ordered a complete cab from Prosum. That cab is the cat's arse. My two cents.

Larry in ME

Kiwi06
06-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forum and glad you have some history with it!

My suggestion is to go for the 825i unless there is something specific about the 855D that is an advantage for you. Off hand, 855D advantages are:

Slightly better range.
If you have diesel fuel source (and no gasoline), you don't have to carry Jerry cans.
Can use "off-road" diesel and save road tax fees (but you should beware that illegal gets hefty fines).

If you have something else that is keeping the 855D in the running, let us know and we can comment. The 825i is much faster, has better throttle response, has more torque, is quieter, ...

I have never driven or even heard an 855D, but I do have seat time in a friend's 850D. The 855D is better, for sure, but almost all the numbers favor the 825i.

Some data points... First, I was in a position to get an 855D demo last year, but finances were too tight. This year, the demo machines were all 825i's and I am so glad things didn't work out last year and I have the 825i instead. Second, my salesman (a friend/neighbor) told me that a rancher was "mad" at him for loaning one of the 825i demos while they had his 855D in the shop. Why? Because the rancher liked the 825i so much he was now trading in his 1-year old 855D.

As for cab vs roof/windshield, it's really a personal decision. I'm pleased as punch with just my top and windshield, but I can certainly see where it wouldn't be best for all situations (and Ontario in the winter is one of those). Definitely something to make sure you consider carefully before purchasing a top, for example, that you'll have to ditch when you upgrade later. The collective wisdom of this forum can be very beneficial! :cool:

Hope this (and everybody else's comments) helps! Best of luck in whatever you choose!!!

- Steve in CO

Sandyman48
06-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for information on your experiences with these great machines. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Sandy C:Hwdy:

Ocalaguy
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ocalaguy/Gator%20Pictures/mouse_sweeping_welcome.gif to the John Deere Gator Forum