PDA

View Full Version : XUV 550 owners, are you satisfied?

Fredartic
06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm considering to buy a Gator 550 but I need some details. I want to know if you like your Gator and what it is used for. I'm in Quebec. I want to change my ATV Arctic Cat 500 for a side by side. I consider also the Polaris Ranger 500 or the Arctic Cat Prowler HD. I really like the Prowler, its suspension is very smooth and it's pleasant to drive. But the Prowler is a little bit too wide in the trails. I want to use it for plowing with a cab and for the trails with my wife and our dogs.

I have tried the Gator 825, but it is too heavy for the trails here. I like a sxs medium size.

Thank you for your comments.

gatordear
06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Fredartic.... This is my first post... So here goes... We bought a new Gator 550, May 17th... We love it... We have about 8 acres, fields, woods, hills, creek.... We use it for transportation to other family houses/buildings, towing a 4x8 trailer, joy riding trails through the woods. We had a golf cart before, this does so much more. We checked out everything out there. Like you, we test drove a bunch of them. For the size, it came down to the Polaris vs John Deere. Everything else we have is John Deere; tractors, mowers, tillers, buckets... So I was leaning green. Size is perfect for us, the 825, a nice machine, too big. Also, I like the ergonomics of the 550 better than the 825. The Vanguard engine is great. Research on Briggs-Stratton commercial engine site, shows the 570cc engine is actually made in Japan by Daihatsu and rated 18hp. John Deere is rating it 16hp. Very peppy, no heat problems, air-cooled. I never used the choke yet, manual says only on extremely cold days. Starts instantly... Suspension, frame, brakes first rate. This is a great little machine. It's so new, there isn't any reviews on it. But here's mine... Hope this helps...

mountaingoat
06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Hello Fredartic. Let me start by saying that I truly enjoy my 550. I too made the purchase for use around the homestead ,and for riding the trails, as I live on a mountain top in Vermont. If you follow the "Ridge Runner" threads, you can see the many optional equipment changes I'll be making to my ride. This little Gator is the perfect fit for rough trail riding. It's size matched with it's tough construction and great protection on the underside made this my choice. This is no dragster at 16HP/28MPH, however It has all the starch you need on a tough mountain trail, and plenty of grab with the optional Bighorn tires. Property maintenance is a breeze. Haven't plowed yet but I see no problem in that. Since I enjoy night riding I'm using 5 Hella Rally 4000X halogens, with the optional heavy duty alternator. I also recommend a winch, and a spare on board for the trails. To sum it up, Tough, well priced, and well suited for trail, transportation, and property maintenance. Good Luck, mountaingoat.

Sandyman48
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I am glad this thread was started as this is the kind of info I have been looking for as well. Please keep the comments coming.

Sandy C:Thmup:

Fredartic
07-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I have seen the specs on the website of John Deere that the weight autorized for the passengers is 200 pounds for each one... I'm disapointed; me and my wife are heavier than that, so do you think that is a problem?

jdh2971
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Got mine in June, got it dressed up a bit, back screen, winch, tow hooks, windshield, fire extinguisher, yellow flashing light and gonna do a few more things. I had a mule I traded and reallly like the 550 much better, it is so much quicker from the start, the mule was like a golf cart getting going and this gator is quick. Got a small problem, ( I hope) with some front end noise that I am having checked out tomorrow at the dealership. Not sure but maybe no oil in front end it sounds like to me. From the factory that way whatever it is. Anyway I use it around the small town I live in and ride in the country and it is great, not too big and not too small. Gets around real well. I also use it to plow some driveways around town in the winter if it snows.....have yet to see how it does at that but think it will be fine. I will also use it at work at my security jobs to patrol the site. Hope it lasts a long time. I think Fredartic that a 550 would be a good fit for you. Keep us posted.

Fredartic
07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Congragulations for your UTV! Thank you for your comments jdh2971. I went to the dealer last friday but it was too late; we did'nt try it... but we will go back for a test drive soon. I asked the dealer if the 550 is more prime then the 825 cause the 825 that we tried is not prime. The 825 is like a tank but this is not what I'm looking for. He told that is uncomparable and from what I see here, it's true. I asked if with the new 850 sxv, if they will upgrade the 550 too. He told me that it will, but I'm not sure if I would prefer a 550 with the injection or the 550 like it is, cause it seems perfect. Hope jdh, you will have a lot of fun with yours!

FloridaGator
07-17-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't see the 200 pound mark being a issue. My friend test rode a 550 s4 for a couple of days and myself, him, and his kid are well over 200 and we all rode at the same time with no issues.

Fredartic
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
FloridaGator, maybe the specs are there just to protect the company from any pursuit and in fact, the utv is able to take more and more...

FloridaGator, we plan to go in Florida on next november; we rent a house for a month. Is there any place where we can rent a utv around? We are going in Venice. Thanks

vanderrt
07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm considering to buy a Gator 550 but I need some details. I want to know if you like your Gator and what it is used for. I'm in Quebec. I want to change my ATV Arctic Cat 500 for a side by side. I consider also the Polaris Ranger 500 or the Arctic Cat Prowler HD. I really like the Prowler, its suspension is very smooth and it's pleasant to drive. But the Prowler is a little bit too wide in the trails. I want to use it for plowing with a cab and for the trails with my wife and our dogs.

I have tried the Gator 825, but it is too heavy for the trails here. I like a sxs medium size.

Thank you for your comments.

My 550 S4 won't shift out of reverse unless I turn off the engine. With the engine off it shifts just fine. Also when shifting from 4WD to 2WD it hesitates but after few yards it comes out with a load clunk. I have about 20 hours on it. It's going in Thursday (7/11/2013) the dealer beleaves it's the secondary clutch ( I have no idea what that is) and he ordered the parts. While it's in the shop I'm having a lighting kit put on (Turn signal, break lights, etc). I've already added a vented windshield, and 2000lb winch my daughter and son-in-law gave me. I really enjoy this Gator and I hope this is not the start of several problems to come. I love tearing down the beach in deep sand where 4WD trucks are getting stuck. It has gone through everything I've ask it to with no problem.

vanderrt
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
The dealer ended up replacing the primary clutch. This was suggested by John Deere. The 550 S4 sticking was a problem John Deere was aware of. The newer 550s don't seem to have the problem but the earlier 2012s have problems. Mine was an earlier model. So far so good with this fix :)

FamilyGator
08-10-2013, 09:15 PM
We love our 550 but recently I too have noticed that after running hard for a hour or so that shifting becomes difficult. No issues once I turn off the engine and shift. Also seems like the clutch slips once hot as it wants to move when idling to the point that I have to keep my foot on the brake to keep it from jumping forward. I am going to call dealer on Monday to see if anyone has had similar issues....to be continued!

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 09:47 AM
What did the dealer have to say? Just curious.

jimmydale
09-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Fredartic.... This is my first post... So here goes... We bought a new Gator 550, May 17th... We love it... We have about 8 acres, fields, woods, hills, creek.... We use it for transportation to other family houses/buildings, towing a 4x8 trailer, joy riding trails through the woods. We had a golf cart before, this does so much more. We checked out everything out there. Like you, we test drove a bunch of them. For the size, it came down to the Polaris vs John Deere. Everything else we have is John Deere; tractors, mowers, tillers, buckets... So I was leaning green. Size is perfect for us, the 825, a nice machine, too big. Also, I like the ergonomics of the 550 better than the 825. The Vanguard engine is great. Research on Briggs-Stratton commercial engine site, shows the 570cc engine is actually made in Japan by Daihatsu and rated 18hp. John Deere is rating it 16hp. Very peppy, no heat problems, air-cooled. I never used the choke yet, manual says only on extremely cold days. Starts instantly... Suspension, frame, brakes first rate. This is a great little machine. It's so new, there isn't any reviews on it. But here's mine... Hope this helps...

How much engine noise is there? And would the air cooled engine be an issue with pulling a 500lB sprayer around for say 4 or 5 hours straight?

vanderrt
09-04-2013, 09:33 AM
The noise wasn't bad until I put in the full vented windshield. It's a bit noisy now but I can easily put up with it. I have a 550 S4 and I love it. I jerked out some Sago palms Saturday. It's a little workhorse. It took a few tries but their out.

FamilyGator
09-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The dealer said it was a linkage issue, they are going to look at it while its in the shop. Otherwise, they have had no similarly reported issues in their shop with this model.

vanderrt
09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
FamilyGator you need to ask the dealer about the Primary Cluch problem.

FamilyGator
09-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi all, just got the gator back and dealer said that it was just a linkage issue. They adjusted it but were receptive to what I was saying about the machine wanting to keep moving once it was hot. In our area they have had no clutch issues and only a few coming back into the shop for any issues. I am going to run it good tomorrow and see what happens, can't hurt while its covered under warranty. I was not impressed with the time it took to get it back, over 2 weeks!

2witzmans
09-27-2013, 06:39 AM
Had our 550 a yr now. it stinks. hard to shift, actually embarrassing when someone is sitting in it with me. and rolls when parked. ugh. its a long story so I wont get into it.:mad:

vanderrt
10-29-2013, 08:19 AM
FamilyGator how was the RUN. I guess I must have an excellant Dealership only took 4 days including the weekend to replace the primary clutch and they installed a turn signal and brake light kit.

FamilyGator
11-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Update: Gator still in shop right now for the 2nd time for a host of issues, going on week 3...I did get a loaner gator from them, kinda cool on their part. They replaced both heads, new gaskets, valve seals, throttle assembly and also speed limiter. They also installed a shift linkage "fix kit" from Deere and it did not remedy the shifting issues so they ordered new clutches and are in process of installing now. The dealer is working with corporate for an extended warranty package as this should not be occurring on a machine with less than 35 hours!

At what point does one just ask for their money back with such major issues? Sad, because we really like the appearance and function of the machine but just can't use it for its intended purpose.

Dane
11-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Holy cow! From a linkage & clutch issue and now they've rebuilt the engine. How did that happen? I don't recal you mentioning engine problems before.

FamilyGator
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah was having some real issues, put some pics in a recent post showing the smoke the machine was giving off every time I pushed the gas pedal. I am anxious to hear when I will be getting it back, then to see if it is really fixed this time.

Dane
11-03-2013, 06:55 AM
That's right I now remember the photos of you fogging mosquitos.

Baza
01-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys,
We are JD dealers in the Uk and have had the XUV550 now for 17months in the UK. We are only just getting the XUV825i in feb.
We have had a few issues with the 550 , mainly the footbrake because driver forces his foot down too hard on it. it breaks the pawls.
Have you had many engine issues?
The engine bay is incredibly difficult to access I know that.

Baz

vanderrt
02-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Just to let everyone know my 550 S4 is shifting very smoothly with belt change. Adjusting the linkage fixed the 4WD problem. I'm once again a happy Gatorer :o) You know JD makes a good product but the 550 was a new less expensive way of enjoying off roading. It does have some bugs but JD and Gulf Tactor have bend over backwards to fix them. Anyway in my case they have.

LegCramp
03-14-2014, 04:08 PM
550 S4 XUV

Our experience - We HATE IT.

It has less ground clearance than our minivan. I get high centered on most forest road humps they have on forest roads in the west.

If you idle it too slowly it likes to cut out.

If it gets any fuel that isnt premium it cuts out until you add fuel cleaner.

Noisier than a marching band.

Few aftermarket parts can be added unless you buy directly from Deere at their rates or you custom make items. Example would be how I had to make a flange with pipe reducer to put on the Kolpin muffler silencer so we could return it down to normal rock concert sound levels.

Wont get what we bought it for so looks like we are stuck with it. Wont buy this brand again for sure.

vanderrt
03-17-2014, 10:53 AM
LegCramp the clearance can be raised with shocks 2 1/2" giving you 13" of ground clearance. I use regular gas and don't have the problems you have but I do use Seafoam about 4 oz to a tank full to keep carbon build up down but any small engine should have an additive or you'll have problems. I know it's noisy. Mine is really noisy since I put the full windshield in. There are some ways to reduce the sound in fact I think there are some suggustions in this forum if not maybe I saw them on this forum http://www.gatorforums.net/forum/ . I can live with the nosie I know it's not a Cadillac and it's recreational vehicle to get out and to have fun with. Anyway I'm sorry your not happy. It's true I've had my problems with the 550 s4 but my dealer has been great about getting them fixed. Like I said before in 2012 JD came out with the 550 XUV and the 550 XUV s4 to give use guys with a limited pocket book a chance to have a 4WD vehicle to explore beaches and the mountains. The 550 s4 runs about $11000.00 other 4WD XUVs cost upwards of $18,000.00. You have to expect with new innovations there are going to be problems and the 2012 has it's share but I understand the 2014 550s are pretty much problem free. I'm still happy with mine even with the problems that has mostly been taken care of by my dealer.

jimmydale
03-20-2014, 09:00 AM
There are things to expect with the 550. After all it is an entry level side by side with a lower price point than other brands, it has a lawn mower engine even tho the vanguard is very dependable. The engine is mounted behind the driver under the bed not in a engine compartment enclosed. So with these points it is what it is and a cadillac utv it is not. You have to take it for what it is and how it is designed. I have had mine for 7 months now and have had no issues and as long as I do not have any serious problems i take it as being what it is. I would love one that rides and is a quiet as my tundra but that is not the way it was made. This is just my opinion and like ***holes every body has one.

vanderrt
03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Jimmydale I like your response. I know the engine is small but it has done everything I have asked it to do. I don't need to go faster than 28 MP. I think for the prince and the accessories you can add the 550 s4 is a great little machine.

Dane
03-23-2014, 11:18 AM
I used mine this weekend to pull a downed tree out of the pond. Going uphill dragging a tree in 4wd (OK, only three wheel) low range it had enough power to spin three wheels. Not earth shattering torque but certainly good enough for a machine this size & price.

deadlevel
05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Not happy at all. Shifter sticks, bed is cracked, parking brake cable broken and carburetor was replaced after 14 months of use. If this thing was a horse I'd have shot it by now. Last JD product I'll ever buy.

vanderrt
05-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Deadlevel I've had my 550 s4 back from the dealer now for about a month. The dealer got the correct clutch kit in and replaced the the parking brake. They are also going to replace the bed because of a crack that has started next to the tail gate. I keep Sea Foam in the gas to keep down carbon build up. I've been driving it hard because I only have 5 months left on my extended warrentee. Right now I couldn't be more pleased with the little 16HP Vanguard Engine and the Gator it's self. We drove it on the beach and all over the Island this weekend and it just performed wonderfully. There are Polaris Rangers, on the Island, along with many other brands pretending to be Golf Carts like myself. I like the looks of the 550 s4 and it has a lot more room. People ask me about it all the time. The bright green and yellow attracts a lot of attention. Now, anyway hoping, that my problems are over I say my Gator is great little fun vehical. I admit I don't use mine like hunters or farmers would but it's great for the Island and the Beach. Here's praying your problems are over!!!

deadlevel
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Deadlevel I've had my 550 s4 back from the dealer now for about a month. The dealer got the correct clutch kit in and replaced the the parking brake. They are also going to replace the bed because of a crack that has started next to the tail gate. I keep Sea Foam in the gas to keep down carbon build up. I've been driving it hard because I only have 5 months left on my extended warrentee. Right now I couldn't be more pleased with the little 16HP Vanguard Engine and the Gator it's self. We drove it on the beach and all over the Island this weekend and it just performed wonderfully. There are Polaris Rangers, on the Island, along with many other brands pretending to be Golf Carts like myself. I like the looks of the 550 s4 and it has a lot more room. People ask me about it all the time. The bright green and yellow attracts a lot of attention. Now, anyway hoping, that my problems are over I say my Gator is great little fun vehical. I admit I don't use mine like hunters or farmers would but it's great for the Island and the Beach. Here's praying your problems are over!!!

Thanks for the well wishes. Glad you are having such positive experiences with 'da gator. I'm off the ledge from the other day, but still ticked about the issues experienced. Maybe a few more days will allow me to calmly think about this whole thing and examine all options whether to repair, or replace.