PDA

View Full Version : 620i starting problem

gatordan
06-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Starter won't engage. Getting voltage so I replaced starter and battery as I was told gator's known for not starting without good charge. Anyway same results after replacing. Ignition switch good, all fuses good. When you turn key on the fan runs for short time, all dash lights illuminate properly. If you short starter the solenoid spins, but won't engage starter. Any ideas appreciated.

JimmyMac
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Have you found anything out yet? The starter ground cable on mine became lose once, not at the starter but at the frame, under the seat. the self tapping screw was overtightened...I guess, and the hole was stripped....

Mine gets filled with mud. then I remove it and clean it...but after several years, its time for a new one. I think its about $144 through autoZone...Kawi Mule starter. JD wants double that, at least that's what I was quoted...

I'm putting a Harley FLH battery in it too. Those lawn and garder batteries are OK but I don't care about adding another few LBS.

Good Luck

FloridaGator
07-17-2012, 08:49 PM
So neither the new or old starter would throw the bendix out and engage the flywheel?

JimmyMac
07-17-2012, 09:45 PM
With a bad connection....the starter can't turn....

Lets start with the worst case senerio!
The Flywheel could have a couple of issuses. One, missing teeth. For this to occur, he would have heard awful noises and had problems previously. Two, the fly wheel could have been lose/falling off. Now I doubt it cause the rotor is pressed on the crank and again, it would make a horrendous noises...

Usually if the starter motor spins but the engine does not the starter clutch is gone...the replacement starter would have corrected this.

I've seen the starter positive post be overtightened too...this would create an open at the soleniod contacts, allowing the soleniod to engage, pushing the gear out to the flywheel but not allowing the motor to turn. This is what happens when the contacts are corroded or burnt too....(as is with mine).

I think the starter sounds like it is fine.....especially if he changed it for a known good starter. The battery connections at the battery were probably good to, as he changed it. The concern I have is with the connections he probably wouldn't check....ground at the frame, ground at the engine or similar on the power side.

Now, here is the most common problem I have found.... A bad connection will create a symptom like what he has. There is enough current to engage the solenoid, but when the contacts come together...the voltage never crosses due to a drop caused by the poor connection.:Thmup:

Just my 25 cents.... Sorry I get carried away. I don't claim to know anything about anything...I'm just trying to help....most of my knowledge applies to Harley Davidsons....which may or may not have anything to do with anything either! LOL!