PDA

View Full Version : " Ridge Runner" Switch Box with Courtesy Lights

mountaingoat
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Hi All, when I ordered my 550 I chose to also add the accessory overhead switch box, as I knew I would be running a light bar. The harness was the usual good quality wiring harness, however the switch box was of paper thin plastic, and gave with the least bit of pressure. I decided to replace it with a better unit, and with the addition of some courtesy lighting. I purchased an electronics "Project Box" in finned aluminum, with black matt finish. It was $12.95 + shipping on eBay. The switches are Gator items by Eaton, which I had on hand. The lights were purchased on-line at "SuperbrightLeds" ( license plate lights)for $5.95 each + shipping. The overall measurements are 4"x 6"x 2". The lights are bright , and light up the switches, and the dash! Have a Great "4th of July"! mountaingoat.

gatordear
07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Mountaingoat... your machine is really coming together, it looks great! Your probably giving aftermarket people some good ideas for accessories. I have a question, what winch to you have? I just ordered the front receiver hitch, because they said the winch fits on top of it. I'd like to get a plow for it this fall. thanks and have a happy 4th.... gatordear

mountaingoat
07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi gatordear. Thanks:BG:! The winch is the one offered by Deere for the 550. It is a Warn 3000 lb unit. Not inexpensive! I caught the low 2%, no down payment deal which left a bit of room for neat options like a winch, and driving lights. mountaingoat.

825joe
07-04-2012, 11:37 AM
That is a great little set up there. :Thmup:

mountaingoat
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks:BG:! It was a nice small project for a hot summer day! mountaingoat.

Dane
08-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Great looking switch box! I see the wires in the second photo. How did you get them down into the machine? Are they tied up to the tubing or did you run them inside the tubes?

mountaingoat
08-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi Dane, thanks, the wire feed is in the tubes, it is the J.Deere OPS overhead switch option. It exits at the top passenger side and runs outside to the center, and into the switch box. The other end exits down out of the passenger rear tube.It's actually the same harness as on the optional Driving Lights. It is tied into the Ignition switch, and includes a fuse, and light relay. A good option If you intend to run off-road roof lighting. mountaingoat.

Dane
08-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I've been mulling over your lights for a while and I have a batch of LED's on order to add some interior lights and some to the rear. My Gator is pretty plain and I have a lot of empty space on the dash so my switches will be taking up those slots.

mountaingoat
08-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Yep, the 550 has a nice dash arrangement with lots of switch placements. My turn signal, four way's, and horn used up some, but there are still a couple left. mountaingoat.