PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Air Filter Relocation

SaltyMcHaggis
08-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Just a run down of how I relocated the air filter on my 855d for under $50.

I used (6) hose clamps, (2) 1.25" PVC elbows, (1) shop vac foam filter, 8" of 1.25" PVC tubing, (2) self tapping hex head screws, and a small piece of rubber stall mat.

All I basically did was find a good spot under the bed for the filter box, marked where its bracket needed holes to mount it, and the cut the original intake hose as needed to give me the right lengths and bends to plumb the discharge of the filter to the intake of the engine. I used the PVC elbow to assist in the routing of the intake hose, and secured the hose using 2 clamps, to go from the engine to the first elbow, then another 2 clamps to go from the first elbow to the filter box. Then I used another 2 clamps to go from the intake of the air box to the second elbow, with a short piece of the intake hose. I used PVC cement to glue the 8" piece of PVC into the second elbow. I then drilled holes all through the PVC tubing for added air flow. Once I cut the shop vac filter so it would fit the PVC tubing I zip tied it on, you can use tape. Not that you will have to turn the filter box and its fittings to fit properly. After I rough fit it, I disassembled and painted the PVC black for a factory look. Once I put it back together I put a piece of rubber stall mat behind the filter box to keep it from chaffing the brake line.

I know the filter box originally just sucked air straight in, but since I put it under the bed I decided to make my own "pre filter" with the PVC and shop vac filter. I did this simply to keep out added dirt and debris and hopefully get a little more life out of my air filter.

Pricing
4 hose clamps = $5
2 PVC elbows = $2
1 shop vac filter = $5
4' piece of PVC tubing = $5
screws, zip ties, spray paint, stall mat = $0 (laying around the shop)

825joe
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Looks good:Thmup: the only issue I see is it looks like the hose after the elbow is a bit kinked. Might just be the way the picture is.

osiris
08-11-2012, 02:25 AM
that looks like it should work just fine once that kink is out