PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

fourchimneyfarm
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
I have an AMT 622 and have replaced the ignition switch, battery, and starter. What happens is the unit will sit for several days and then when I go to start it I have to use the 12v jump start to get it to kick over. It immediately starts and then I can turn it off and it restarts again with no problem. The battery is charged it is just takes the 12v jump starter it get it started. Is it the regulator or something else? This one has me puzzled.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

JimmyMac
08-10-2012, 10:49 PM
First, check the ground. Make sure the battery cable at the frame/engine is good. Then perform a milliamp draw test. Sounds like the regulator may be bleeding current to ground. An easy way to check this is to park it, then unplug the regulator from the battery, hell just unplug it from everything. Let it sit for several days and see if it starts. If it does, then ya know, grab a new reg. It could also be an acessory that is direct wired to the battery. My CB radio is directly wired, sometimes I forget about it...

I recommend testing the complete charging system. A failed regulator could be the result of a bad stator/alternator, poor ground, weak battery, excessive current draw, excessive heat or vibration or moisture in connections.

Let us know how you fair,

Jim

Gator Joe
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I agree with Jim, because my lawn mower did the same thing and I tracked it down to the regulator. Replaced the reg and never had any more trubble again.

fourchimneyfarm
08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on how to check my system. I did just like you suggested and made sure my battery was fully charged and then I disconnected it. I'll reconnect and see if it starts. I also ran a little check before I read your message and check the voltage on the battery after sitting for several days and it was down to 9.2 and then charged it back up and it read 13.65 so I am guessing it is a slow drain. I'll find out in a couple of days!

Thanks again,

Rod

First, check the ground. Make sure the battery cable at the frame/engine is good. Then perform a milliamp draw test. Sounds like the regulator may be bleeding current to ground. An easy way to check this is to park it, then unplug the regulator from the battery, hell just unplug it from everything. Let it sit for several days and see if it starts. If it does, then ya know, grab a new reg. It could also be an acessory that is direct wired to the battery. My CB radio is directly wired, sometimes I forget about it...

I recommend testing the complete charging system. A failed regulator could be the result of a bad stator/alternator, poor ground, weak battery, excessive current draw, excessive heat or vibration or moisture in connections.

Let us know how you fair,

Jim

duramaxjfk
08-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a 620I that won't start. My wife and I used it this weekend and it worked great. We went to start it and there was a "pop" sound from under the pass seat. It acted like the battery was very low when we tried to start it. The bed wouldn't lift as well. I checked the battery connection and they were clean and tight. We jumped started it with my truck and got it started however, it had NO power and didn't run well. I have contacted the local JD dealership and they recommend I bring it in @ $82/hr. Any thoughts? I would GREATLY appreciate some input prior to hauling it to the dealership.

JimmyMac
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the forums dmax!

Yeah, a loud "POP" from the battery area is usually no good.. but there are a couple of things that can do that.

One, I can't stress enough.....check and double check and triple check your ground cables. The connection at the battery you said is good, but what about the other ends of those wires? Follow them back and look for a lose connection. If you can move it, it's lose.

If you are still having trouble, the next thing I'd check is the power cables. Same procedure as the ground cables. They cannot touch the frame or any metal parts along the way to the starter. Make sure it hasn't been pinched either. If you had a meter, you could look for shorts to ground and bad connection very quickly...battery voltage and all, I think I got one from Sears for the Gators tool box for like $20.

Once you find it, grab a new lawn and garden battery...If you can't rember the last time it was changed, it's time.

Something to remember..... YOU CAN fix it. It may be a challenge, and time consuming. The learning curve may be expensive, but in the end it's very rewarding. Or, you can just pay someone to do it. This way you save time, stress, aggrivation and so on....and get a warranty. This way if it acts up, its goes right back. Hell, you may even have it for the weekend.

Hope this helps!

I was once asked, "How do you know when you're a sucessful technician?" I sat for a moment, then calmly replied, "When I can afford to pay someone else to fix my bike"..........Jimmy Mac

duramaxjfk
08-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Thank you Jimmy Mac!

I did check all the cables, battery connectors, and plugs. The battery tested "full power". It just seems to lack power, the box doesn't lift as well. I will check the entire length of the cables as you suggest. I told my wife I will work at this a few more evenings before I give up and bring it in.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated! Jim

jergeod
08-14-2012, 09:27 AM
To add to Jimmy Mac,s answer the ground wires don't have to be loose, a little corrosion or rust will cause the same. I would unbolt each ground wire clean the frame and wire end add a little dialectric grease and tighten back down. This way you are sure you do not have a ground problem when you are done.

duramaxjfk
08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Okay, I will do that as well. I really appreciate all of your help, I hope I can assist one of you some day! Jim

duramaxjfk
08-15-2012, 07:01 AM
The gator is fixed! Boy do I feel stupid! As it turns out, it was just the battery. The battery tested "fully charged" however, once a load was placed on the battery, it dropped to zero. I went to TSC last night and bought a new battery ($49) and the gator started right up!

Thanks again for all your help Guys! Jim

JimmyMac
08-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Excellnt! Glad you figured it out, and just in time for the weekend too! :Thmup: