PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tool

JimmyMac
08-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Dont know if this is the best spot for this but....

Harbor Freight has a 48" Farm Jack (China version of the High-Lift) on sale right now for $49. Regularly $59 BUT.... in Fourwheeler magazine (4X4 Truck Mag) there is a Harbor Freight "Super" sales ad with coupons... $34.99 That is really cheap and perfect for us! I picked up one today and it will be gracing the hoodrack of our Gator very soon!

If you are not sure what they are.... they are a very handy tool in the trails. Can be used for many things...they pull like a come-along too. I can tell you from our truck...if its buried to the axel in mud or sand, jack it up way too high, and kick it over. Lands out of the rut. My 60" Hi-Lift has saved the day over and over agin.

JimmyMac
08-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Just welded a couple of 3/8" bolts to the bottom of the rack, then put a nut on them, hacked an inch off each side of a set of handelbars, welded them to the nuts (carefully as not to melt the locknut plastic), then tacked a couple of 1/4-20 bolt to that for handles....and Voila! China lift jack and mount for under $40 bucks!

Dane
08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I like the home made thumb knobs for mounting the jack.

JimmyMac
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks! I'm going to start an aluminum roof rack/bed roof in a couple of weeks. Roll up sides and all. Rains here everday in the summer.

I'm also thinking about rebuilding the bed out of aluminum too, removable sides and all...I'll attempt to make it look factory of course. I need to put this girl on a diet to haul all my junk!

Dane
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I can't wait to see that. I'm curious to see how you do the roll up sides and if it could somehow be applied to the rear of the cabin area. I'm currently debating between buying or building a rear panel for mine but I had not thought of something that rolls up. My climate is more mild that the folks up north a perfect seal is not needed.

JimmyMac
09-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Gonna use a T-Top from a center console boat for the idea/basic layout. The material for the top is like a canvas but a little softer, water proof and its digital woodlands camo. I got it from Lockheed Martin, nice stuff. It will be laced to the tube structure to keep tension on it, and the sides will fasten with big HD plastic zippers. Flaps will hide the zippers and protect them. Zippers on the top and the sides, but magnets on the bottm, they can just slap to the bed sides. there will be a zipper in the center for each side to allow access while remaining closed around the perimiter. Then snaps or velcro tabs for retaining the sides when rolled up. Unzip and they can be stowed under the hood.

The structure will be two main frames, about 1 1/2" tubing each, one for the top then, a little longer and wider lower section to sit just under the top. This will allow the fabric to have a little downward angle as it approches the edge of the top. A couple of "roof rack" style rails running from left to right will allow the ability to haul a ladder or a jon boat on the roof and double as flood light mounts for all four directions. I lose sleep over this thing sometimes.... it's rediculous.

I have an idea for the cabin already, with a plastic window too...

Dane
09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I can't wait to see lots of pictures.

Porter
05-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Any update on the roof rack? Just ordered 855d and will need to haul a canoe and/or kayak. Thought a roof rack would be ideal.