PDA

View Full Version : 550 "Ridge Runner" - Gator Done!

mountaingoat
09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi all. Well, It looks like this "Ridge Runner" project is now (at least for the season) fairly well completed. I think this little Gator has met all my expectations as a quality "Crossover UTV". All the item add-on's were either redesigned from existing quality after market parts, or designed, and built form scratch at my home using small hand, and power tools, as well as a MIG welder. Home ranch, and farm built equipment, and repairs are nothing new to the John Deere crowd, but some of the performance oriented items used on the RSX, and the Crossover Gators may be. It will be awhile before this equipment becomes available. No need to wait, and wish, anyone with an idea, and some metal skills can do it. Or there is always someone you may know that can help. I'll close this project on the next thread, much the way I started with " Just A Bit More Bling". mountaingoat.1398139914001401

Dane
09-02-2012, 09:52 PM
It's funny how different the accessories make the XUV look. Mine seems like a different model in comparison. I know they are very similar but the tire rack in back and light assembly on top really change the lines to make yours look more ready for Baja or Dakar.

mountaingoat
09-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Yep, I think the overall lines Deere used are well balanced, and can lend itself to a whole host of optional equipment. My uses are for the wooded trails here in Vermont, but I can see, especially with the RSX, and it's speed, at places like Baja. It'll be fun watching where these new Gators go. mountaingoat.

vanderrt
07-26-2013, 03:21 PM
25952591Looks great Mountaingoat....I'm working on mine little by little but I doubt that it'll come close to looking as good as yours. Mine a 550 S4..added mirrors, vented windshield, winch...I'm getting there little by little parts don't come cheap and being put on furlough cut back my bling to zillch :(

mountaingoat
07-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks vanderrt. Yep, hear ya. I'm just building some small items now, like stone guards for those Halogens, and some brackets. The old SS check doesn't leave much for bling! Hey, it's an on-going process anyway! mountaingoat.

vanderrt
08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I really like your shift levers. I found a set on Amazon $70+. I really want them but my wife isn't so keen on spending the money.

GATORDONE
08-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Stand up to her man!!! This is important stuff!! (buy her some jewelry first that seems to work) :Thmup:

Dane
08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Something from David Yurman usually does it for my wife.

vanderrt
08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
She wants Coach Purse....Do you know how much bling I can buy for the cost of a Coach Purse!!!! :/

dieselsmith
08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah no shit i've bought about 5 of those damn purses.

vanderrt
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
5 Coach purses that would put me from middle class to poverty leavel. I'm feeling for you Dieselsmith.

vanderrt
08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
My Gator 550 S4....Mountaingoat are you done for now or are you done. :Ysnd:

Dane
08-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Which windshield do you have on your S4? I've not seen one like that before.

vanderrt
08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Aero-Vent" Lexan Windshield for the John Deere HPX & XUV Gator. http://www.biggreenparts.com/Aero-Vent-Lexan-Windshield-for-the-John-Deere-HPX-XUV-Gator_p_413.html > i bought it because of the vent but it will yellow if stored in full sunlight but no problem with yellowing in normal use. Says it almost bullet Proof :reye: but I'm not sure if it is scratch resistant :reye:. I like it and my wife installed it for me (by herself) for a Father's Day gift. She said it was a breeze but she's pretty handy.

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey vanderrt. I'm done with the bigger projects for now, just some brackets for a fire extinguisher, and utility light. Probably!:skep:

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
So mountain goat have you had any problems with your 550 my 550 S4 has had some shifting problems but my dealer got it fixed? I haven't seen many problems with the 2 person 550. Do you use your 550 for hunting? Mine is used just running the the beach. I think my next project will be underseat storage compartments. The S4 has a lot of storage but I want tool boxes under the front seat for my winch accessaries. I'm going start, this week, replacing every bolt with 440 stainless, except for the case hardened in the suspension. I can see the rust starting. It's nice living on an island but everything rusts. My wife leaves my tools out and I have to spend my free time cleaning off rust but she's worth it :)

Dane
08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I was wondering why you were going to go to the trouble of replacing bolt with stainless and then the "running on the beach" and being from Corpus Christi hit me. If you don't have a good source for the hardware let me know. I have a manufacturing business and have a good fastener supplier that's much better on prices than MSC, Grainger or Fastenal.

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Dane,
Thanks as soon can get the correct sizes I'll contact you. Is there a WEB site?

Dane
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Here (http://www.fastenersupply.com/) is their website. They don't have online ordering but you can contact them and tell them what you need or you may be able to find another supplier closer to you. Generally though Fastener Supply is less than 1/4 the price of retail big box stores and half the price of other industrial suppliers like MSC or Fastenal.

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Dane,
It's not easy to find products on this site so I'll call with orders. Thanks for the info I'm sure your cheaper than ACE or Lowes.

Dane
08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Much, much cheaper than Lowes, Ace or Home Depot. If you can't name or properly identify the fastener you can E-mail pictures or worst case send them one as a sample and say "I need more of these" or "I want this but in stainless".

If replacing much of the hardware you'll have to decide if you want to stay with Torx 25 head hardware which is the most common used on the Gator or switch to something more commonly available like a Allen or Phillips head.

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Just starting with HEX HEAD bolts to start with. I'm hoping they are not metric tread.