PDA

View Full Version : XUV 550 puffs big blue smoke cloud

crazyfarmer
09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Tonight when riding the power would die and out comes a huge blue pluff of smoke. Then it would go back to normal. I went out again and nothing, but then on my way back at close to wide open throttle it would die and out comes the blue smoke cloud again. Any ideas to what causes this? Only 18 hours on the XUV. It does tend to smoke on startup slightly off and on.

just concerned something it going to blow up. Oil level is fine

Dane
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
It's just an olde fashioned Briggs so there is no rocket science. It sounds like you've already checked but I'd confirm that the oil level is not high or low. I think it's safe to assume your machine is still under warranty. I'd stop by your local dealer or make a call to the service dept. and talk about the problem. I'm sure their response will be to say "bring it in" but if you can talk to one of the people that actually do the work they can give you more information as to what they think might be the problem. The important thing is that your machine is under warranty and I'm sure they will fix it for you.

crazyfarmer
09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
It's just an olde fashioned Briggs so there is no rocket science. It sounds like you've already checked but I'd confirm that the oil level is not high or low. I think it's safe to assume your machine is still under warranty. I'd stop by your local dealer or make a call to the service dept. and talk about the problem. I'm sure their response will be to say "bring it in" but if you can talk to one of the people that actually do the work they can give you more information as to what they think might be the problem. The important thing is that your machine is under warranty and I'm sure they will fix it for you.

Thanks for the help.. I checked the filter also but that looks fine. I read where some other makes and models did that when oil got into the intake.

crazyfarmer
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
also at idle it seems to whine or make a slightly high pitch squeely whine sound like something needs greasing. Ill just get the dealer to look it over for that also.

Dane
09-06-2012, 06:16 AM
I don't think I've spent much if any time with mine in neutral. I'll have to try it and see if I have a whine.

crazyfarmer
09-06-2012, 06:04 PM
it doesnt matter if its in N or not.. it makes a screeching like sound at idle after warmed up. I have it at the dealer now

jd-ford-hd
09-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Keep us posted on the problem and the fix.

MBDiagMan
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
crazyfarmer,

I went through this with a brand new B&S V Twin in a Cub Cadet mower about 7 or 8 years ago. Since it was a new I took it back to the dealer and they kept saying it was a dirty crankcase breather. The machine had seen no dust whatsoever, so it was hard to believe. It seems like the breather was in the area in the V between the cylinders. It might be worth cleaning or replacing if you can find it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with it.

Doc