PDA

View Full Version : CVT replacement with PICS!

JimmyMac
09-08-2012, 03:10 PM
A not so long time ago in a Galaxy down south near DeLand FL, there was a young....uum, older...no, "thirtysomething" jedi knight, who's Mudd-Linium Reptile was in need of a new Hyper-Diabolical-Belt drive.... This is his story.............

...well something like that anyway!

Problem: rough engagement, inconsistant dive response, lots of RPM to get the drive to engage and finally it felt like it wouldn't get out of what felt like "first gear".

Solution: replace the entire primary drive system.... well not really, I just wanted to have it all new, and the Wifey said I could!

So here's how we do it redneck style. (It's 2007 620i XUV)

Removed the clutch cover, its on the left side, and the bolt for the front drive unit.

1445 1446

The front unit is actually pressed on and need a puller. I recommend just buying one. I think they are about $35 (do your shopping) and will have to be ordered, I only had time for installation this one night, so I improvised. I needed a hard shaft to install through the font unit so a forcing screw could be used to push on it....

The forcing screw I found is actually for a Buell XB motorcycle. It holds the transmission detent up and out of the way while installing the transmission and the crankcases together. This is a tool that may be harder to find than the correct tool for the job, but I just happen to know a little something bout them critters so I had one. The Big Ol U-bolt was from a trailer that I replaced the axel on. A little "JimmyRigging" and its ready to go!

...more to come, I have to pressure wash the pool.

JimmyMac
09-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Some Gentle Love with the impact, and I mean very gently.....mess this up and its bye bye crankshaft! A little tap with a hammer to "shock" the hub, and out it came.

Then I noticed the belt. See the shiny sides? That's Glazing. It's from heat caused by slipping. Water can do it, but mine was pulling those two Jeep Wrangles out of the mud and that Ford Ambulance out of the sugar sand behind my place. Glad I ordered a belt too! Check out the missing peices.

JimmyMac
09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
The next step was the rear unit. Its really straight foward as the shaft is splined. Pull the bolt, off it comes.

...and a visit from the Brown Truck yeilds some Brown Boxes!

The Wifey also sprung for the hood rack, something I've been trying to slip in the parts list since I first started fixing this kid up. I have to admit, when I first installed it, I didn't like it. The hood looks good as is, and the rack takes away from the clean lines...HOWEVER, the first time out, I fell in LOVE. Now my sink and my jack found a home there. It makes a great hand rail when you are operating the winch in slippery mud too.

JimmyMac
09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
For comparison, old vs. new:

Notice the grooves in the old shiny sheave. This is from slipping, some may just be normal wear.
The dull one is the new one....perfectly straight.

1461 1462

JimmyMac
09-09-2012, 10:24 AM
and the rear unit too....

1463 1464

1465 1466

JimmyMac
09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Hang the new stuff and get ready to play. I replaced the cover o-ring as well. It was fine but we spend lots of time submerged so I wanted new.
This is like a brand new machine now, slow controlled movements like positioning to a trailer or loading on a trailer with other bikes is effortless.

1467 1468

One more thing, the fasteners for the cover have different lengths. Pay attention during installation. This is where the longer bolts go.

1469 1470 1471

Happy Trails.

WOEII
09-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Awesome thread JimmyMac :Chers: :hdbngr:

jlames
09-22-2013, 12:15 AM
If anyone still visits this post, I'd appreciate a reply. I followed the posting and the replacement went great. Just one problem. Is there supposed to be play in the transmission axle that the pulley bolts onto. I noticed that I hand rotate the axle by hand quite easily about 1/2". Looking at the belt/clutch mechanism when running without the plastic cover on. I noticed that putting the Gator in gear and the pulley rotates that half inch but stops. Upon acceleration, it works smoothly but that 1/2" play worries me.